Best bait for catching shrimp

As this is posted in the "Freshwater" section I'm assuming you mean freshwater shrimp. If that is the case cheese is good but soap is by far the best and cheapest option. I use all the remnant bits of soap in the shrimp net and catch lots of shrimp. Of course you won't get them once the water starts to get cold (now) as they hibernate. Hope this helps???

Really Neil???? Soap???? At least they'll be the cleanest shrimp you'll ever catch. Lol :)

See, you learn something new everyday! I've never heard of that before. What's the actual method?

Cheers scratchie!!!

Really Neil???? Soap???? At least they'll be the cleanest shrimp you'll ever catch. Lol :)

See, you learn something new everyday! I've never heard of that before. What's the actual method?

Cheers scratchie!!!

the shrimp are attracted by the fat in the soap, use unscented soap and place your trap amongst the weed, it may be getting a bit cold as they tend to shut down over winter

GENERAL REPLY: Shrimp and yabbies are like the waterways waste product removal teams. They wander round all day getting rid of putrid or rotting things that don't belong in that environment...like soap and cheese. As Dirvin 21 points out the best method is to pile soap into the pocket of the shrimp net and put near to where the shrimps are. Since they need to hide from predatory fish this will include reeds, submerged grass areas and branches/ twigs, etc. Leave the net in for an hour or so and then put the captive shrimp into a bucket of the same water that they came from. This needs to be replaced regularly, as they tend to use up the oxygen fairly quickly. Very good bait for all freshwater species. They do disappear during the colder months so you won't get them now. I usually get extra ones during the warmer months and freeze them to use when they are scarce.

GENERAL REPLY: Shrimp and yabbies are like the waterways waste product removal teams. They wander round all day getting rid of putrid or rotting things that don't belong in that environment...like soap and cheese. As Dirvin 21 points out the best method is to pile soap into the pocket of the shrimp net and put near to where the shrimps are. Since they need to hide from predatory fish this will include reeds, submerged grass areas and branches/ twigs, etc. Leave the net in for an hour or so and then put the captive shrimp into a bucket of the same water that they came from. This needs to be replaced regularly, as they tend to use up the oxygen fairly quickly. Very good bait for all freshwater species. They do disappear during the colder months so you won't get them now. I usually get extra ones during the warmer months and freeze them to use when they are scarce.

Once again, Neil is the man to turn to for guidance in freshwater techniques.

I have actually heard this before. Sunlight soap was mentioned somewhere.

Cheers

Jim

as well as the left over soap from last time I like to add a worm or two ripped in bits as well as a little bit of the soil they are in and even a piece of cheese as well if you have it for fish bait. Give them the full cocktail :wine: