Rod And reel for soft plastic lure

Hi guys,

I bought the soft plastic lure and I'm new on it. I realise that I need a different rod and reel for this kind of fishing.

I would like to ask which kind of rod and reel I need to buy.

I normally fish in rock and sand spot and my target are Bream, flat and so on ........ I don't know the name of the fish.

My budget is about $150 for the rod and $150 for the reel ( more or less). I like to buy a good stuff and I really care about the brand ( I think it make always the different).

If you have any suggestions please don't hesitate to write me.

Thanks

Andrea

Hi Andrea, I'm no expert on this sort of fishing but I have had lots of success at it. Seeing that nobody has answered your question, I will at least give you my opinion. You don't need to spend a fortune on gear to catch Bream and Flathead, using soft plastics. The gear required is as follows (suggestion only).

A 2-4kg spin rod of about 1.8 to 2.1 m length and a 1000 or 2000 series reel. The rod and reel need to feel comfortable to hold. Remember that you will be doing quite a bit of accurate casting near structure for Bream. I have about 100m of 8lb monofilament, then about 80m of 8lb braid and a rod length of fluorocarbon in the range of 4lb -10lb, depending on what and where I'm fishing. Hope this helps, maybe other Raiders will offer their opinions for your consideration. Good luck with the soft plastics fishing. Big Neil.

My vote goes for Shimano Starlo Classix 7' Squidgy Spin Medium action and Shimano Symetre 2500 reel in that price range. The Shimano Raider series of rods are nice also and only a little more expensive.

I use 12 lb mono backing to 6 lb braid for my mainline as a good all rounder. If you are specifically targeting Bream you may want to drop to 4 lb braid.

Tight lines!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would start by looking at the pflueger trion or shimano raider series to start you off. Both readily available at under 150 and both are well known and respected products.

I prefer 1-3kg rating but 2-4kg is a bit more versatile.

Reel -wise, shimano symmetre is a good starting point.

For braid, 4-8lb is fine but remember that the lighter you go, the more bites you get. I'd stick to 4lb and change the leader to suit conditions.

Good luck!

Thanks to everyone for your helping.

I was looking for shimano Raiders too and I didn't know was a good start.

I would like to ask something about this kind of technical fishing.

When the range is like 1-3 kg or 2-4 kg and so on, what is meaning the range of fish that you can be able to catch?

What the different about long or short rod? Can I know in base at what I have to choose?

About the lure always there is a range also like 2/5g or 5/7g or 7/25g and so on..... Is better to buy a rod with range that cover many different grams like 7/25g for start as me or better something more specific with a short range of grams?

Thanks for it I hope someone will help me

Hi Andrea, I think you are getting a little bit TOO MUCH into unnecessary technical areas here by concerning yourself with numbers. The type of fishing which you have specified (Bream and Flathead) can be undertaken with many types of rod /reel combinations. 1-3 or 2-4 kg refers to the suggested line strength which is advised for that rod. Much the same is the rating on a reel which may say 180m of 12lb line or 300m of 6lb line. A few points you may want to consider are whether you choose a graphite rod like a Raider series or a standard spin rod. Graphite rods are lighter and easier to cast for long periods but can very easily be broken, if not handled correctly. The weight of jig heads used for these species won't present a problem for any 1-3kg or 2-4kg rod. Indeed, people who use this sort of gear regularly, catch large fish with them. Rod length can be important if fishing from a boat as against shore based fishing...but when we're talking about 1ft (0.3m) it's not very important. The suggestion made by Nutsaboutfishing, to visit a tackle store, is a good one. As I mentioned you don't have to spend a fortune to do this sort of fishing mate. Good luck.

After a long research on internet, I found this: Shimano Raider Travel Inshore 904 Shore Spin - 4 Piece Fishing Rod what to do think?

The length is 2.74. Line weight 4/7kg Lure weight 10/45g

Might be good for start?

Today you could go to several stores and buy a Pflueger Trion Rod, 1 piece, or two piece, 6'6" or 7' ultra light or light for $100 and a Shimano 2500 ci4+ for $200 and have probably the best value for money light spin outfit available. Keep in mind you will need 25 bucks worth of braid and some mono backing and you are in. Really these two bits of kit are very highly rated amongst regular light spin folks chasing bream flatties bass etc.

Matt

After a long research on internet, I found this: Shimano Raider Travel Inshore 904 Shore Spin - 4 Piece Fishing Rod what to do think?

Might be good for start?

It isn't suitable for soft plastics fishing in my opinion. Rod too long and too heavy for the delicate "flicks" needed for soft plastics to work and catch fish. If you've got loads of money get what Macman suggests.

Might be good for start?

I agree with neil, I have very limited experience with plastics but you need a lighter rod when lure fishing as opposed to bait fishing

4-7kg rod is just too heavy and will be too stiff

Thank you guys

I'm thinking to buy the rod and reel that macman suggested me!

I already research on Internet and I found all that staff good about review and money.

Only one thing: the rod is $129 and the reel $200 more or less!

I will let you know when I buy it!

I'm so excited to buy and use finally the plastic lure.......

Thanks again

Today you could go to several stores and buy a Pflueger Trion Rod, 1 piece, or two piece, 6'6" or 7' ultra light or light for $100 and a Shimano 2500 ci4+ for $200 and have probably the best value for money light spin outfit available. Keep in mind you will need 25 bucks worth of braid and some mono backing and you are in. Really these two bits of kit are very highly rated amongst regular light spin folks chasing bream flatties bass etc.

Matt

Thanks for your help.

i would like to ask you when I will buy the rod and reel (that you suggest me) which line I have to use for the reel? Which one for the end before the lure?

Can I use lure from 4g to 20/25g?

Thank you

Hi Andrea, as I mentioned in my first post you will need to spool your reel like this... first put about a 100m of 8lb monofilament line on the reel, then a whole spool (150m) of good quality braid and lastly a rod length of fluorocarbon (8lb-10lb for Flathead or 4lb for Bream). Join the different lines with double uni knots. You can learn how to tie these from Youtube videos (not difficult). What this means effectively is that if fishing for Flathead, Tailor, Trevally have the 8-10lb leader and if fishing for Bream change it for 4lb leader. You will have no trouble casting soft plastics in the normal range, with this set up. Hope this helps. Neil.

Hi,

Andrea and Neil, my suggestion on the trion and the stradic was on the basis of Andrea's original budget suggestion. There are Trions on sale today for $100 bucks and on Stradic ci4+ for $200 from two big outlets. I wouldn't recommend a rod of any less quality than the Trion, although there are some OK ones for around the 80 buck mark. but for Andrea's benefit there are plenty of decent quality reels that you could start off with for less than $200. If you do a quick search for Pflueger supreme XT you will find a store that sells them at the moment for $100 and the trion rods also for $100 dollars. Be really sure of the exact models etc before you buy anything.

Cheers

Hi,

Andrea and Neil, my suggestion on the trion and the stradic was on the basis of Andrea's original budget suggestion. There are Trions on sale today for $100 bucks and on Stradic ci4+ for $200 from two big outlets. I wouldn't recommend a rod of any less quality than the Trion, although there are some OK ones for around the 80 buck mark. but for Andrea's benefit there are plenty of decent quality reels that you could start off with for less than $200. If you do a quick search for Pflueger supreme XT you will find a store that sells them at the moment for $100 and the trion rods also for $100 dollars. Be really sure of the exact models etc before you buy anything.

Cheers

G'day Macman. The point that I'm trying to make here is that soft plastics fishing has been a very successful way of catching fish, a long time before any of this gear was even thought of. Therefore I reiterate my point to shop around and get something which is comfortable, and not necessarily brand specific. After all you don't need a Rolls Royce to drive to the shops, do you? Cheers, Big Neil.

I have a Shimano Cantana 2 - 4kg with a Sienna 2500 (6lb braid and anywhere from 6lb - 10lb fluro leader depending on where i am fishing) i have only recently started flicking plastics and it seem to do ok but it is a basic / cheap combo and doesn't feel as good as my mates Abu Garcia, but his is somewhere around $400 at a guess.

For $180 total including Braid, Mine has done ok by me for nearly 2yrs of bait fishing and now is getting dedicated to SP fishing, if i get a bit better at SP, I will look to getting a better SP rod and reel combo.

Hi Jeffb5.8,

Might be a good starting all the stuff you bought, but honestly my budget is more high.

I would like to spend about $300/350 and as Matt suggest me I will buy a Pflieger Trion rod 2-4 kg and a shimano 2500 ci4.

Maybe I will go to buy tomorrow!!!! Yeahhh

Shimano sienna has a new range which is really awesome. I love symetres but know of a mate who always competes and he doesnt use anything but the sienna and its cheap. I personally use a stradic 2500. With 8lb braid. On a berkley dropshot 2-4kg and its perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk