Fishing in Maroubra beach

Snapper81

Hi to everyone,

I would like to go to fish Monday (weather permitting) in Maroubra.

I have a rod shimano sentire nano series 1062 light surf 10'6 and a reel shimano baitrunner 4000 OC.

I would like to ask all the expert some suggestions about how I have to fish, which bait or lure I have to use, some good spot around there and so on.......

It's my first time to fish on the beach here and in this month.

Thanks anticipated

Hey mate!

I'm just a beginner fisho starting out, so definitely not an expert, but I've pretty much exclusively fished maroubra beach for the last 2 months and usually returned home with a feed of something 90% of the time. I usually have a surf rod out with a half or whole pilchard on 4/0 x3 ganged hooks with a star sinker and a smaller 6' rod with pillie cubes or prawns. Have caught 55cm tailor and 65cm salmon a few weeks back on the ganged and usually hook up to 1 or 2 flatties on the 6' rod. There are a lot of undersized flathead around lately but you'll usually be able to find a nice 40cm keeper. As for location I've fished the southern most point of the beach near the rocks, and caught a heap of trash fish (mainly kelpfish). Most of my success has been directly in front of the southern lifeguard building, I find the northern part of the beach to be too crowded into the afternoon. As for lures, wouldnt be able to help you there as I havent dabbled in the art yet! Also ever since the storms it's been REALLY kelpy everywhere so that's made life a bit harder.

Good luck! According to solunar charts mondays meant to be a really good day for fishing, depending on how my uni studies are going, I might even see you there! Look for the Asian guy with the yellow esky if you wana say hi ;)

Hi wangwang,

Thanks for your advise?. Absolutely I will looking for you on Monday to say hi and why not we can fish toughetar, I normally to go to fish only by myself.

Anyway I will use a pilchard (half) but when you fish with this kind of hook (4/0 3x ganged hook) you leave the line hard and the sinker on the bottom or you slowly pullback the line?

I have to use a paternoster with one or two hook?

Thanks

Hi Snapper 81, you can fish with either a running sinker down to a swivel, then 50 cms to either a ganged hook rig or a single hook. If you are fishing half pilchards it is best to use a 2 hook gang. A 3 or 4 gang hook for full pilchards.<br />Alternately you can fish a paternoster rig with a gang hook set up AND a single hook set up.<br />The secret to success at beach fishing is to find the gutters and fish in them and also to berley with pilchard pieces every 10 minutes or so. This will attract the fish to where you are fishing. Good luck.

Ho Big Neil,

Thanks I will use a single hook with pilchard.

So I have to set up after swivel 50 cm of line with a sinker ball and at the end of the line knot a single hook. So between the swivel and the hook a sinker ball, right?

Which line I have to use for the 50 cm?

Thanks

Try to search 'read beach' on YouTube and watch several videos in advance. Gutter is a hole in the water. It may be called differently if the video is not from AU.

As for lures - probably I would start from metal lures at this rod length. Have a look at shimano website for the suggested lure weight for your rod model.

Just wondering - did you make the decision regarding line/braid/ leader Lb rating for your beach bait or lure fishing? Too light or too heavy - might mean disappointment later on the beach.

Ho Big Neil,

Thanks I will use a single hook with pilchard.

So I have to set up after swivel 50 cm of line with a sinker ball and at the end of the line knot a single hook. So between the swivel and the hook a sinker ball, right?

Which line I have to use for the 50 cm?

Thanks

Put the sinker ABOVE the swivel, tie 50cms of 20lb line BELOW the swivel, then your hook. The sinker needs to be heavy enough to hold the bottom.

There is some technique to find the gutters? How can I find it?

Gutters are small areas of deeper water. When the waves come in to a beach they "lift" because there is sand below them...this is shallow water. What you need to look for is the gaps in the waves coming onto the beach. This is deeper water = where the fish are feeding. These are gutters and they are quite often not far from where the waves finish up the beach. By that I mean that you don't always have to cast a long way to catch the fish. Don't forget to berley (sparingly). Good luck.

Hello guys,

I have been fishing today in Maroubra. I started about a 8:30am and I finish at 3 pm.

I fix the line with a paternoster with 2 different hook (I don't remember the size) and a sinker on the bottom (20gr). Leader line was about 1 meter and I used 10 lb. I used a philchard in both hook.

The day has been amazing but weird. I catch 2 whitin, 3 flathead 1 was illegal, 2 flounder (25 cm about) and 2 Australian salmon (20 cm about). So was a busy and funny day but my questions are:

Why I catch so many different fish?

Why I didn't catch more Australian salmon?

Should I change something next time?

Any advise will be awesome to help me!

Thank you

Wow awesome catch Snapper, lots of nice varieties.

Was probably the pilchards, did you use them cubed or halved? you can pick up quite a big variety of fish off pilchards. To catch more salmon and bigger ones too I find you need to cast further out into deeper water. Were the whiting legal? I've never caught a whiting off maroubra and especially not this late in the year! they're usually a summer species! I usually fish around the surf club, did you pick these up near there?

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Wanhwang,

I fishing in two different place on the beach, because I needed to find "the gutter" and I find it so I moved two times.

Anyway I used cube pilchard.

The within was about 20/25 cm but always I release what I catch.

Next time I would like to try fishing from the rock north of the beach maybe I can catch more salmon.

Was a great day

If you're fishing from rocks I strongly suggest several things.

Firstly, you will need to get a PFD, life vest. Even if the water is glassy, a freak slip into the water can be bad.

Secondly, get some rock fishing shoes, with cleats or spikes.

Thirdly, don't fish alone. Go with a friend.

Finally, don't just go onto the rocks, sit and watch the swell for at least a good 30 minutes. Time the waves and the hight, watch for wind conditions, see what other fishos are doing.

Safety first mate.

Edited by Budzsta

Good suggestions Budzsta.

I would also suggest:

- avoid run-in tides in the beginning of your rock fishing (just get any a free tide app for your app to know where the tide is at the moment. Some of the apps even work offline. I prefer good tide watch),

- avoid slippery wet/weed rock areas.

- check the new fishing spots areas initially without fishing tackle - for stability.

- keep your belongings (bag/bucket etc) far away from water even if it looks very calm - so, in case if something wet happens you dont have to think about them.

Snapper81,

you might want to:

- try different bait e.g. chicken, bread, prawns, worms or other live/fresh bait etc

- try casting unweighted bait (no sinker). It might not be easy to cast.

- try fishing under float. Make sure that float is large enough to keep the bait and heavy enough for casting

- get a few metal lures with different weight and cast them with fast retrieves for predators.

Edited by savit

If your after more salmon, best to use a whole pillie on a set of 4/0 ganged hooks

Youtube how to put gang the pillies if it is your first time as they can be a difficult .

I would also suggest using a paternoster style rig rather than a running sinker rig.

This is so the bait stays a bit higher off the bottom

Also try to fish sunrise or sunset because that is when the salmon are more likely to feed

If you are struggling to make a rig, you can buy pre-made surf rigs that have a surf popper and a set of ganged hooks already rigged up.

You can buy this from pretty much any tackle shop

Also best to stay away from the rocks until you become experienced (many people have died from fishing off the rocks)

No fish is worth your life...

Hope that helps

Edited by sam bros

I want say thanks to everyone for advise about rock fishing!!!!

I knew many of that thing but safety is never enough....... Thanks thanks thanks also because many of you know I'm new in Sydney and fishing around Sydney!

I used a paternoster with two single hook and cube pilchards on both.

I'm sure now that was a good time fishing salmon as many of you told me best time to catch salmon is sunrise and sunset, so Thursday I will go early morning and I will use a ganged hook, on the bottom, with whole pilchard and a single hook with cube pilchard, on the top.

Finger cross

• Like 1