Homemade line twist remover

quochuy

The Alvey 475B is a great centerpin reel, the design is probably not the best but you can't ask too much for the low price, but the low inertia very free running spool is awesome. The slow current of a turning tide in the lake at The Entrance (chasing blackies) can easily peel the line off and spin the reel.

I'm not good yet at casting a centrepin so the side cast feature is mostly welcome. However this has a price: line twist. I have properly sized swivels below and above the sinker but line cast still happen and can be a nightmare if not handled. I'm planning to learn better centerpin casting but in the mean time here is the solution: the Spin Doctor by Gardner. But unfortunately from the demo video I saw it spins the wrong way around for my setup: winding the Alvey sidecast with the left hand. I needed one that spins clockwise (looking down on it) so the bevel needed to be cut on the left side. So I bought a tear drop shaped sinker and used my angle grinder to cut the bevel.

I tested it this morning and it worked. Although I should cut a slightly different angle next time as seen in the picture below.

How to use it:

Attach the device at the end of the line and cast a short distance, retrieve and cast again several times increasing progressively the distance to your usual casting distance. As you retrieve the line back the bevel on the sinker will make it spin and hopefully undo the line twist.

5d043cdc6806665545380718c59007d7.jpg

393b90073e196187078cdbfa298559f3.jpg

fba7f2824ad0a5634f44730db342141d.jpg

f2673f6b45bf3715bb0cf5a85852401c.jpg

This morning was totally dead and the fish only start biting half an hour before the storm cracked out. But I'm happy with the few fish I got yesterday including this nice one

f543a95a4ddadd697d1a62aa1ad688cb.jpg

0d14f2107e962062d5155bd9a8332cc0.jpg

--

Huy

Nice work hew and an interesting little gadget. You must spend a lot of time on the net. Ha and they call me the gadget man amongst other things.

I've got tomorrow off work I'll have a little go in the morning that's if the wind is not too strong.

Cheers Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice work hew and an interesting little gadget. You must spend a lot of time on the net. Ha and they call me the gadget man amongst other things.

I've got tomorrow off work I'll have a little go in the morning that's if the wind is not too strong.

Cheers Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm not at work or fishing I'm on the Net lol. Always looking for ideas, gadgets, new techniques to try, combining technique or gears from one fishing style with another. Keeps my mind busy

You might see me out there before work if I manage to get a sleep, insomnia is on today

--

Huy

Hello boys,

I have an Alvey blackfish reel Huy an I could not get out to where Steve and Tim were casting. I need practice too.

I now have a 2500 reel with floating line which I can cast about 35m in the park next to my place, I haven't caught a fish yet I think I need more rain. :banana:

This looks a great idea as I have about 6 Alvey reels and line twist can be a problem what is the weight of your sinker.

See you soon my Patrol is having a major service and off the road for about 3weeks.

norm

learn to cast a centerpin by just using a ball sinker in the park using the tension nut screwed up fairly tight then slowly loosen the tension nut after each cast practice this until you get no overruns once mastered no swivels needed and no line twist peter

Hello boys,

I have an Alvey blackfish reel Huy an I could not get out to where Steve and Tim were casting. I need practice too.

I now have a 2500 reel with floating line which I can cast about 35m in the park next to my place, I haven't caught a fish yet I think I need more rain. :banana:

This looks a great idea as I have about 6 Alvey reels and line twist can be a problem what is the weight of your sinker.

See you soon my Patrol is having a major service and off the road for about 3weeks.

norm

Currently my only way to cast as far as a normal reel is to use the sidecast feature which introduces line twist.

I'm not sure of the weight but here is another photo on a ruler in inches.

d3d908c1d161b82739f9c62715d593a8.jpg

--

Huy

learn to cast a centerpin by just using a ball sinker in the park using the tension nut screwed up fairly tight then slowly loosen the tension nut after each cast practice this until you get no overruns once mastered no swivels needed and no line twist peter

Yeah I've been doing this at a local park but need more practice. The Wallis cast cannot reach far enough for The Entrance I think (30+ meters). Maybe the BC/Swing cast could do it.

--

Huy

• 5 years later...