Best flathead lures

IME flatties will eat pretty much anything as long as it's bouncing in front of them and kicking up sand.

Heavier soft plastics and vibes are a great choice as they fish the bottom well. Shrimp, jerk shads and paddles tails all work well as do small grubs in shallow areas. Even heard of people using red jelly snakes.

Soft vibes are the flavour at the moment but they cost a bit.

After moving to the mid north coast last october my wife and i have targeted Flathead on lure almost every trip. The exception being Jew fish. Jdanger is right, They will usually eat anything. The key is to put it in there face. They live on the bottom, so bouncing your lure along the bottom is best. In summer they are quite agressive and will eat anything and any size. But in winter they are much slower and a little more selective. Slow down, and I prefer larger lures. They will sit on the flats above a drop off as the water is a little warmer, they will also sit toward the bottom of a drop off to a DEEP hole. Jew like this area too on the slack water so watch out! Have a look at My posts and you will see what lures and scent I prefer.

Regards Howard.

post-11-0-80909500-1467430800_thumb.jpg

Top one is an atomic 4 inch prong. Then a z man streakZ curley tail 4 inch. Then a z man minnow z 3 inch . And at the bottom a z man 2.5 inch for comparison. Length is different. But the body size is a lot bigger!

• 3 weeks later...

This will probably come as a shock to most fishos but my all time favorite Flathead lure is the Tassie Devil colour doesn't matter much just use whatever you think will work on the day, they are cheap and Flathead just love them. I prefer large ones in winter and smaller in summer.

Frank

Savit. If I am doing a long run across an inland beach or in rivers with not much depth change I use the same method as when I troll for Trout on one of the Dams.

I either downrig or use lead core line to get them close to the bottom and troll ( with electric motor ) about 1 1/2 k's or 1 mile an hour, I generally use a single 3/0 hook on larger ones and 1/0 on the smaller ones, you can spin them in shallowish waters but I prefer to troll.

Frank

Thanks Frank. How about experience with original trebles in Tassie Devils instead of singles while targeting Flatties? Too many snags?

Yeah, don't know trebles just seem to add too much weight and restricts the action, that's just my opinion, no scientific proof, but I just prefer singles.

Frank