Soft plastics on Red fin

Hi all I'm interested in using soft plastics to get on to Redfin in lake Mulwala. I've never used them before and am interested to get some in put . Do they work well are they easy to use?

Cheers.

If you want to target Redfin in Lake Mulwala, I'd be using worms. Soft plastics will work but you will find that the Redfin are not as prolific as in some of your Victorian lakes. Good luck anyway.

When redfin are schooled up, almost anything will get a result. TT Ghost Blades in Bloody Ghost colour, red Celta, red Mepps, and bronze Hogback with red wool are all good options. Mostly I use catch and release, but with redfin, being an introduced species, I am very happy to eat the catch. They are a great feed.

Lake Mulwala is an iconic waterway for both Murray Cod and Yellowbelly, and both are well worth pursuing whilst you are there. Kieffen's Reserve is a good place to start. If you have a boat target these fish amongst the structure. Oar-Gee Plow lures in either 60 or 75mm in Colour A, Colour GR, and Colour H, and Predatek Boomerang in sizes 65 and 80mm, in colours PT, and EJ, are my go to lures in these waters.

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
no links to other forums please

When redfin are schooled up, almost anything will get a result. TT Ghost Blades in Bloody Ghost colour, red Celta, red Mepps, and bronze Hogback with red wool are all good options. Mostly I use catch and release, but with redfin, being an introduced species, I am very happy to eat the catch. They are a great feed.

Lake Mulwala is an iconic waterway for both Murray Cod and Yellowbelly, and both are well worth pursuing whilst you are there. Kieffen's Reserve is a good place to start. If you have a boat target these fish amongst the structure. Oar-Gee Plow lures in either 60 or 75mm in Colour A, Colour GR, and Colour H, and Predatek Boomerang in sizes 65 and 80mm, in colours PT, and EJ, are my go to lures in these waters.

Lots of good advice there John.

• 3 weeks later...

I've found during winter redfin will school up in deep water presumably to spawn, its just a matter of finding them with a sounder and dropping a lure to them

during warmer months they disperse around the edges, we caught dozens at copeton casting bream style hardbodies and plastics in particular areas where boats and skiers stir up the water

just a simple slow roll retrieve generally does the damage