Resin types for making your own trolling lures

rjts

I'm going to have a crack at making my own lures(skirted).After recently finding out from some mates in the States what it's going

to cost me to replace some of my old favourites if I were to loose them (well over US$400 each for some of them), I'm going to try & make some copies to use.So if theirs anyone on FR that makes their own lures I'd really like to hear what resin/hardener & mould material you use/recommend.

Cheers Ryan

Edited by rjts

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How funny, I've been playing with this lately too.

Easiest way is to go with diggers casting resin and MEKP hardener. You can get cheaper casting resin from Barnes (google it for the full website).

If You want to replicate lures or have a cast able blank then you will need pinkysil which is a moulding silicone.

Most lures are '2 piece' casts you cast the inside shape and add keel weight if need be. Stick prism tape and eyes or whatever sparkle stuff you want and then put that insert into a final cast.

You'll need a lathe, or a lot of patience to polish the final cast into a nice finish.

Jim Rizzuto has 2 excellent books on it :)

Edited by amkr

Always wondered if those blokes that pay $400-$2000 for a lure actually use them.I had a bloke a couple of years ago at Nelson Bay give me $600 dollars for a old scuffed up one after he somehow spotted it while I was unloading a boat.

Thanks for that I saw the Diggers stuff in Bunnings might give it a goe

There joe yees, Generally cost around 80-120 when Joe was making them. As soon as he stopped they immediately became collector pieces and the price went through the roof.

When you start catching fish on your own lures you won't run anything else I guarantee

• 1 month later...

This is a little out there but I stumbled across this article about 3d printing lures that - if you are looking to replace lures worth that much - could be almost viable.

http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/Articles/Display/16608-The-lure-of-3D-printing

From what the article says you could basically build a 3d model from a photo and once you are happy with it print as many as you want....

• 2 weeks later...

Joes still making lures just not as many.A mate over there got me a reasonable deal on a couple recently.Some Hawaiian Tackle stores were/are selling them for US175-500 each.His new Evil Apollo(left) is slightly smaller than my older(90s etc)ones.

post-38746-0-57604900-1471668245_thumb.jpg

Edited by rjts

• 3 weeks later...

Would anyone know of a place in Sydney or Newcastle that sells lathes/mini lathes.

ps-Cheers for that amkr I'm going to try & get down to Barnes for the mold,resin etc end of this week

Edited by rjts

it's hard enough to give away good ones with no reputation.

They look great - I love the eye's you've got on your inserts!

I haven't started adding inserts to mine yet.. mostly because I haven't had the time to set up a decent mould for it. Maybe I'll have a crack this weekend.

I need to buy some pigments to get some colour into the heads - I've been experimenting with some different colourants and i'm getting very mixed results...

I've cast mine into PVC and shaped & polished them on a bench grinder and drill press.

The first one has no shape at all to it, I used a piece of PVC that was probably waay too small for anything practical. I coloured the resin with chalk shavings with absolutely no idea how it would turn out :/

I don't think this one will run very well, unweighted and a ridiculously aggressive slant but we will see I suppose - its about 5.5-6".

29432461481_ea36fb65fa_b.jpg

28887893304_98ece5f4c7_b.jpg

This is another last minute experiment that I'm working on, on the left is a JB Little dingo for size comparison.

28887905584_3a39144977_b.jpg

You guys must have "TOO" much spare time on your hands .....LOL.....

I Know that there must be no Greater enjoyment than knowing that the fish you just landed was on a lure that you personally built ,But for the amount of hours that goes into it making one "I'LL JUST BUY MINE " or better still Mark I"ll BORROW Yours ...LOL...

I Know that there must be no Greater enjoyment than knowing that the fish you just landed was on a lure that you personally built ..

Yes there is, having someone really wanting a lure that you personally made, because they think it's better than the boxes and bags and rolls of lures they already have!

post-1192-0-22490500-1473248960_thumb.jpeg

Hahahaha

At $80 a pop for the good stuff, I can make my own and still put pennies aside for a collection of tiagras!

I started doing it because I really liked the art in some of the Hawaiian stuff and decided I wanted to have a crack at it myself!

Catching a Marlin on one I made this year is just going to be an added bonus!!

Time wise it's not too bad, I think I spent under an hour on that blue bullet. Most of that time was because Im doing everything the hard way without Moulds and lathes.

Edited by amkr