Resin types for making your own trolling lures

rjts

It shifts a stack of water for a small lure.

There seems to be 2 trains of thought on this - one is that it makes more 'noise' and attracts more attention. The other is that it moves too much and the marlin puts it in the too hard basket (additionally, more erratic movements give less hookups apparently).

Who knows.

Are the heads weighted?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would anyone know of a place in Sydney or Newcastle that sells lathes/mini lathes.

ps-Cheers for that amkr I'm going to try & get down to Barnes for the mold,resin etc end of this week

Carbatec in Auburn has some sweet little lathes. Pretty sure they sell different types of resins as well. Not a cheap store, but worth a look.

There seems to be 2 trains of thought on this - one is that it makes more 'noise' and attracts more attention. The other is that it moves too much and the marlin puts it in the too hard basket (additionally, more erratic movements give less hookups apparently).

Who knows.

Are the heads weighted?

I reckon there's a sound or frequency or just the wiggle that some lures have and most don't. The same lures get bit again and again regardless of the colours or positions or if they are aggressive or lazy.

I only ever have 1 unproven lure in the water against a pretty decent spread. So if I have any success I'm claiming it.

The moth pictured has weight but the original didn't, it will be interesting to see if it changes much, I'm guessing not.

The bigger 2 are keel weighted

Edit spelling

Edited by stevefish

• 1 month later...

I only cut the length of the skirt saddles(photo angles misleading),but I've met blokes that cut the whole way down to the nose.I couldn't get tape to hold so a lightly tensioned band etc has been working well so far.Have been having a lot of trial & error with inserts,mainly cutting & smoothing off brass tube for jets etc.

post-38746-0-82112500-1476950541_thumb.jpg

Edited by rjts

Do you use some kind of chafe tube inside the brass?

I've given up on jets, too much mucking around, and here's my theory, the only thing going through those holes is water, especially on a slant or bullet. The air is held behind the head so pushing more water through will reduce the frontal area and action and reduce the smoke. For a cup face you can make an argument

They look cool but.

Edited by stevefish

No I don't but I'm still far from having it perfected so I may have to.I've ordered a Dremel tool which I've been told will make it a lot easier.All the saws,grinders & drill bits various Hardware,Model shops,engineering stores etc have told me will do the job have failed,so if the dremel doesn't work I'm going to give up on jetted lures to.

I reckon all they seem to do is liven the skirt up & lighten the pull on flat faces a bit,but if the holes are less than 5-6mm they do nothing.

I was hoping to make some slightly lighter keel weighted ones beause the yanks/Hawaiians either make them full of lead or none at all(1stpic) , The jetted plunger in the 2nd pic is keel weighted,nylon holes & doesn't need as much speed as the other jet heads.

post-38746-0-42414400-1476958029_thumb.jpg

post-38746-0-21144100-1476958315_thumb.jpg

Edited by rjts

Thanks for the response guys! A great help!

Will post up some pics once I get mine made.

Planning to use bonito, pillie and dollie skin for the inserts

Theres a guy in the states that does bonito skin on the inserts, it looks great - I reckon the dollies would look unreal though!

Theres a guy in the states that does bonito skin on the inserts, it looks great - I reckon the dollies would look unreal though!

Yeh that's where I got the idea. I've recently bought about $600 worth of lures from the states.

Planning to test them all out this season and replicate winners.

Looking the goods there!

I found that the brass would put a slight bit of damage on the leader at the front of the head over a days trolling which concerned me enough to change to soft nylon/plastic leader tube.

Did you dremel down the brass steve ? I saw this youtube video on the finishing process.

It was countersunk with a drill bit, but still wore the leader.

As cool as sexy heads are for mine the shape is what wins or loses, exhibit A moldcraft.

Just make a few and give them a runand see what happens, if there was a proven formula we'd all have 10 lures not err, as many as we have

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 10:49 PM, VViCKiD said:

Another question, how r u guys making the inserts? Is it from lead ? Or did u cast it from resin?

Both,-heat res rtv silicone(sim to ultra copper you use for engine gaskets) for lead mold.Adding a piece of lead the thickness of a pen etc to the lower 1/2 of insert (like JYee does in Apollo's etc) works great.So does adding uv/lumo pearl powder like this Magoo insert.

IMG_1365.JPG