• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:13 PM, amkr said:

How are you heating the lead?

I haven't been able to find something small and electric to heat it up with. I'd do it in a pan in the kitchen but I think I might get murdered by the other half.

Just a cheap bute can burner from BCF etc.

IMG_1471.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Like amkr said it comes off when lathing/polishing.I've tried diggers but prefer the clear casting resin Barnes have,it pours clear so it's easier to keep track of the pigments dye/pearl powder etc.Avoid the equal part resins like Alumilite etc,they go dull with wet&dry paper & take forever to cure.I've been trying out some uv powders & ab shell.These are jy Apollos & Mcgoo chuggers.

IMG_1686.JPG

IMG_1564.JPG

IMG_1645.JPG

Edited by rjts

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:11 AM, VViCKiD said:

Nice.. Yeh I've been letting mine sit in the sun. Going to sand them a bit with 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper before polishing

It's more stuffing round but start with 360-600 then 800 & so on to 2000 it comes up great.Using 1200 first will clog etc real quick

10 hours ago, rjts said:

It's more stuffing round but start with 360-600 then 800 & so on to 2000 it comes up great.Using 1200 first will clog etc real quick

Not quite sure what you mean by clogging up? My lures come out mostly shiny and polish looking. It's only when I touch them that they seem to get "finger prints" all over them. Do you think I should still sand with such a low grit?

ps. Sorry for all my questions. Really quite a noob here

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:11 AM, VViCKiD said:
1 hour ago, stevefish said:
10 hours ago, VViCKiD said:

Not quite sure what you mean by clogging up? My lures come out mostly shiny and polish looking. It's only when I touch them that they seem to get "finger prints" all over them. Do you think I should still sand with such a low grit?

ps. Sorry for all my questions. Really quite a noob here

Start with low grit, then med,end with 1200-2000 &then polish

10 hours ago, VViCKiD said:

Edited by rjts

I really want to have a crack at this to. Not that i lose too many lures. I already hand craft my own timber lures for freshwater so id like to broaden my horizons to these as well.

I'd appreciate if one of you guys would take the time to do a step by step post :-)

The red tape I used for eyes in this green Mcgoo looks to have somehow turned silver,if anyone has a theory,it's got me stuffed.Also in regards to brass tubing damaging line,I discovered you can make lead inserts with plastic tubing instead,like in this Streamline..After pouring a insert you just lightly tap the brass tube with a hammer & the brass tubing twists out of the lead...Ps- Vvickid I like that bullet,was the mold taken off a BlkBrt master?.

IMG_1925.JPG

IMG_1923.JPG

Edited by rjts