Resin types for making your own trolling lures

rjts

2 hours ago, NaClH2OK9 said:

Beautiful. 

I've dodged this thread till now due to not wanting to add another expensive time consuming element to my life. 

However my Jim rizzuto books arrived from Hawaii yesterday. 

Why do I get the feeling making them is going to get more expensive than buying them.... 

Pirate S

Speak to Pirate W

As you know he is a gun at what he does...... (and drinking) and he  is good in this area.

I have seen some of his work in this area and I was blown away.

Pirate D

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Johndory said:

Pirate S

Speak to Pirate W

As you know he is a gun at what he does...... (and drinking) and he  is good in this area.

I have seen some of his work in this area and I was blown away.

Pirate D

Will do mate. 

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I am new to the lure making scene. A couple of questions.

What alternatives are there to melting lead to create inserts for the heads?

Does anyone know the thickness of a yo-zuri skirt? Just want to make sure the skirt matches up well to the head of the lure.

Cheers

9 hours ago, Liquid Fishing said:

Hi all, I am new to the lure making scene. A couple of questions.

What alternatives are there to melting lead to create inserts for the heads?

Does anyone know the thickness of a yo-zuri skirt? Just want to make sure the skirt matches up well to the head of the lure.

Cheers

I'm fairly new to it to friend but i'll pass on what i know. I was fortunate enough to get into contact with Jim Rizutto prior to his passing last week :(. I purchased both of Jim's lure making books which are quite good for beginners and explain a hell of a lot. Reading Jim's books really gave me the confidence that i will be able to produce lures that will catch fish. See if you can track them down. I'm not sure if Jim's family will keep his website running or not.

As far as the inserts go it is important to remember that the more weight you add to the lure the less action it will have. It is a real balancing act in getting the lures to swim the way you want them to. Make some without lead, some with x amount so on and so forth. Run the lures and see which of them swim the way you want them to. As you are probably aware the moulding silicone is ridiculously expensive so you want to make sure the lures swim before you start moulding them.

At the moment i am moulding inserts using resin. Some i have attached holographic tape to others i have started colouring with cheap nail polish and i am really happy with those results.

Last night i ordered a small polishing lathe off ebay which was as cheap as chips to assist with finishing lures and also give me the opportunity to turn some of my own shapes.

You may get some joy by contacting yozuri direct to get details as to the thickness of their skirts but of course because of the nature of the manufacture process of these skirts it can be quite variable. 

Most importantly when fitting your skirts is to ensure they dont bulge beyond the head. Better to have a step down if you know what i mean. Thanks to Peter Pakula for providing that info

You can use sheet lead(fold it etc).            YoZuri skirts are one of the thinner ones,alot of Yozuri's don't fold well around the skirt saddle creating a lump & their to short for their width for a lot of lures.Yamashitas are thinner.

Edited by rjts

• 4 weeks later...

I've found the biggest issue with mass produced skirts are the inconsistency in their thickness. I shape my lures in the lathe, and have a standard dimension for the taper, but some skirts bulge, others don't. They can be exactly the same colour and size, yet the thickness changes from skirt to skirt. Doesn't seem to matter what brand of skirts either, though I've heard on the grapevine that yamashita is altering their production methods to fix this problem.