Down rigger handline

Guest Guest123456789

Guest Guest123456789

Hi Raiders,

I'm a boating noob and never downrigged- could be a very idiotic question so hear me out.

Am I right in saying you need a downrigger that that has an arm that extends out the back of the boat to stop the downrigger and fishing line getting tangled in the prop?

If so, then could you get away with a handline on 30 lbs mono and a heavy weight that just hung straight off the back of the stern so long as the engine was tilted out of water? IE I would be using a bow mount motor to troll.

Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers.

Guest 4myson

I used to use the same a while back until I saw a set up known as a poor mans down rigger which works fantastic . All you do is attach a metal jig between 150 to 200 grams (with the hooks removed) about at least a meter in front of your baited hook & do a slow troll ( 10 knots ) . Not only does the jig work as a weight but the jig also acts as an attractant .... Works a treat !

Guest Guest123456789

Thanks 4myson.

I'll be using lures not bait. Guessing target depth could be as much as 20 metres, wouldn't 200 grams be far too light?

Guest Guest123456789

also attaching a lure 1 metre from your bait on your fishing name line means you'll have to drag the fish and the weight up simultaneously correct? I thought the whole point of downrigging was to keep your bait or lire in the zone and when the fish hooks up you then disconnect from the weight using a snap or rubber band. Or have I got this all wrong(very possible)?

Guest 4myson

Yes you will have to drag the fish & jig (weight) up the same time .. 200grams will not make any difference on any decent fish That your reeling in , as I said its a POOR mans down rigger. It works just as well on lures as it does on live or strip baits ... To achieve the depth you require just use lures with bigger bibs....

Edited by 4myson

Guest Guest123456789

Yes you will have to drag the fish & jig (weight) up the same time .. 200grams will not make any difference on any decent fish That your reeling in , as I said its a POOR mans down rigger. It works just as well on lures as it does on live or strip baits ... To achieve the depth you require just use lures with bigger bibs....

Ok cool thanks for clarifying.

If you did that back in the day, maybe snapper sinkers would have been much cheaper and less time consuming to prepare than hookless metal lures. Also I would have thought trolling that weight at 10 knots with 1 metre of unweighted leader to bait would create a spinning, tangled mess, but alas like I said I'm a trolling noob so there you go.

Guest 4myson

Any weight will do the job But i like using the jig as it also acts as a Attractant swimming through the water & especially workerd great with Strip Squid in tow , An old fisherman that i knew used to use large barrel sinkers instead & just painted them white as an attractent .....

• 4 weeks later...

to answer the original question..yes you can use a downrigger weight on a handline or cord line..i have used that setup for many years and caught a lot of marlin doing it..main thing to remember is not to turn away from the side the downrigger line is on.. keep straight or turn towards the line and you will keep your line clear of motor...good luck..rick

Guest Guest123456789

Ahh thanks Rick that makes sense, so if the downrigger is on port side make sure I'm going straight on only turning left. If I turn right I'm going to get line caught in prop - makes sense I really want to avoid that scenario! Thanks again.

I use an eight pd ball weight with an adjustable release clip on 1.2 mtrs of 250lb jinkai...trolling live slimies your mainline will hang behind boat in a curve due to water pressure..therefore it will be well clear of motor or anything on back of boat.,i fish anywhere between 30ft and 60 ft depending.on where fish are in water column..u can fish as deep as u like so long as your prepared to haul it back up.... haha...rick

• 5 years later...
11 minutes ago, motiondave said:

I use a hand line with 50lb mono on it, a 1m length of thin steel pipe, and a plastic clothing peg. I only use it trolling and actually going, so I don't tangle the fishing rod line around it. Works ok. 

IMG_20211125_140924.jpg

Interesting idea mate, have you had any action from it?