Vacuum Sealing Squid

Fishing_Maniac

If I plan to use it the next day I just put it in a zip lock bag and keep it in the fridge overnight. If I plan to use it down the track then it goes in a zip lock bag and then into the freezer. If frozen it keeps for a few weeks easily. If you are organised you can write the date caught on the bag and rotate out accordingly.

I don't think you need to go the extra step by vacuum sealing it.

Edited by DerekD

Guest 4myson

As DerekD stated all you need is a zip lock bag ... If I plan on keeping fresh squid for a longer period in the freezer I like to use those clear Chinese take-away containers & fill it with saltwater Before sealing the squids in ( make sure that it's filled to the top) . I've found that they are good as fresh when thawed out even months later ....

Edited by 4myson

Thanks for the replies

As DerekD stated all you need is a zip lock bag ... If I plan on keeping fresh squid for a longer period in the freezer I like to use those clear Chinese take-away containers & fill it with saltwater Before sealing the squids in ( make sure that it's filled to the top) . I've found that they are good as fresh when thawed out even months later ....

When storing in take-away containers, does it matter if the salt water has ink inside it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get good quality ziplock bags in bulk at the supermarket. some are a tougher plastic with a double seal. I just use the large ones and only have one squid per bag to make bait selection more versatile and economical so you don't need to take and thaw more squid than you need. I keep my squid in the live tank while I'm Squidding in the boat or land based I pop them all in one zip lock, quick squeez out of the air and into an esky between freezer bricks. When it's home time I put one squid in a bag, seal the bag 90% of the way and push the bag under the water except the last little bit. The water pressure pushes most of the air out of the bag with a little bit of wiggling. I then quickly push the rest of the bag under and snap it shut. If you want to fish it the next day or night it will keep colder in a sealed esky packed in freezer blocks. This will be close to freezing but not freeze the squid and is colder than the fridge. If you aren't using it the next day then straight into the freezer as soon as possible.

I do own a vac sealer and have used it but the plastic is expensive and the unless you get a commercial one you can almost get more air out with a zip lock bag. Plus when you take the squid fishing you need a ziplock bag to put the vac seal packet in once you cut it open to use the squid. Especially if you are not using the squid as a whole bait in one go.

On the subject of vacuum sealing: I've had to throw away 2 x Aldi vacuum sealers that just wore out the sealing electronics. I have found the UNIKA to be excellent and have had no issues over a couple of years with two that I use.

I regularly vacuum seal all my baits that are to be stored (except cunji). Squid, beach worms, fish baits all come back to satisfactory condition when ready to use. Small packs or single squid etc are the go. I always vacuum seal any fish that I'm going to keep to eat with the date on the pack. Bream, flathead and snapper and Jewies all thaw out as fresh as the day they were caught.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest 4myson

Thanks for the replies

When storing in take-away containers, does it matter if the salt water has ink inside it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No not at all ....

Appreciate the help everyone.

Three things will wreck squid in a hurry.

Fresh water, ice & freezer burn.

Vacuum sealing is best, zip locks next best, with the air out,

& after that forget it.

When vacuum sealing how do you keep the squid fresh until you bring it home? Also, do you find it necessary to vacuum seal when using the squid the next morning?

Cheers

Edited by Fishing_Maniac

The less air contact the better applies to pretty much everything. But I wouldn't bother vac sealing for overnight (due to the plastic being expensive and other reasons mentioned above). I'd go snap lock bag with the air squeezed out and packed in a well sealed esky surrounded by frozen bottles. Or the coldest (not freezing) part of the fridge if you don't have the frozen bottle /esky option. If you put the bagged squid in an esky with any normal ice hat can melt make sure you leave the Bung out and the esky tilted that way so any melt can drain out so there is no water near your squid.

Appreciate the help everyone.

When vacuum sealing how do you keep the squid fresh until you bring it home? Also, do you find it necessary to vacuum seal when using the squid the next morning?

Cheers

No need to vac seal if using in the next 2 days. Just zip lock & put in the fridge.

I used to drop the squid into a zip lock bag straight off the jig without

even touching it. Get as much air out as possible & put into the esky on ice bricks

to keep cool. If the squid inks in the bag even better!

They stay that fresh that the tentacles stick to your fingers 2 days later. Can't get

much fresher than that.