Bluefin off Batemans Bay - Photo's added

Croydon

Hi guy,

With the good weather we've had the last few days, I decided it was time to head offshore and see if the tuna were on their way through yet. Picked up a couple of mates and set out from Mosquito Bay at 7.30am. Nice to be leaving at gentleman's hours after all the early snapper trips lately! Plan was to head out to Moruya canyons and try our luck on the blue eye and perch. The sea was less than a meter with a little westerly puff, which had a slight bump on the water. Headed the 30k offshore and had a couple of drops, but the current was too strong and we didn't get a bite.

I'd heard the long liners were working around the 1700 fathom line so we set a course and headed another 20k's north, north east. As we were getting near our target area, we got a call that another boat had hooked up on a large school of 40 - 60kg bluefin in the area we had just left! What to do, turn around and high tail it back or stick to the plan?? We'd found the long liners and the bait was forming nicely and the water temp was hitting 19.6deg, so we decided to stay.

We trolled the general area for a couple of hours when the shotgun goes off. It had a little 6" purple and black jet head, the smallest lure in the spread. By the way thanks to Garry at Seriously Stainless, your shotgun pole worked a treat. The 50 starts screaming, when the 20,000 stella with a swimming garfish also gets nailed. The spool starts emptying at a rapid pace, so I grab the rod, as my mate Adrian had the 50 and just held on. After a 90 second run the leader gives way and my fish is gone. Bugger!! But to cut a long story short, Adrian fights his fish for the next 4 hours, during which the plaited double is is within metre's of the rod tip but we just couldn't get the damn fish any closer. Eventually as the clock just about hit 5.30pm, we finally sink two gaffs into the fish and haul it aboard. We knew it was big and thought somewhere around 80kg! After the mandatory high fives and a beer or two, we set course for home which was about 55k's in the dark. Thankfully it was an uneventful trip home and we were damn glad to see the boat ramp.

post-4525-0-41323900-1467684888_thumb.jpg

After cleaning we set the fish on ice and made a plan to weigh it in the morning. After a fair degree of mucking around we finally got it weighed, 90.5Kg, a new record for my boat and we were damn happy!!

post-4525-0-83606400-1467684966_thumb.jpg

post-4525-0-40636900-1467684992_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the long rant, but at least the fish are on their way and with any luck will be in Sydney soon. Get out there guys, they are on!! Cheers.........

Dave

Edited by Croydon

Hi guyS,

Just a quick heads up. Got a bluefin about 80kg, this afternoon in 1700 fathoms off Batemans Bay. Hooked a second but lost it. A few smaller models caught a little closer in also. Only just got home as it took 4 hours on the rod. Will provide details and photo's tomorrow. Shouldn't be too far off Sydney. Cheers......

Dave

Well done Dave. What do you do with a fish that big? It wouldn't survive to be released, even if that was the plan, would it? Cheers.

Cheers guys. Had it on ice over night neil and starr to butcher it this morning. Some great meals for family and friends. The fish were 55k offshore so well within reach for decent trailer boats. Should be in sydney after this next blow if the water forms correctly.

Dave

They say the bigger fish lead the charge, but having said that, a couple of hours earlier another boat had a large school of 40 - 60kg models under his boat. So who knows, just as long as they turn up. Cheers...\

Dave