Monday 7-5-2016

Just did a bit of trolling off Long Reef and got a 3-way hook-up on Kings, one went about 75cm. I saw a big school of what looked like Mac Tuna leaping around everywhere about 2 miles out, hooked one but dropped it, would have been fun on spinning gear.

Listened on 21 all arvo for any signs of Tuna out wide. It sounded like heaps of boats were out near Browns, Southern Canyons and Heaton’s all looking for tuna, from what I heard, 1 boat got 3 albacore and that was about it, no BFT or YFT that I heard of. I just saw that big YFT that was caught on here on Sunday, that’s unreal.

I agree with the other comments on here about getting ready, when it happens it might happen fast and it might only be a short season, so you have to be ready to go.

Just some advice to the newbies going for Tuna, over the last few years there has been quite a few boats running out fuel when attempting to fish for tuna around Heaton’s, the back of Browns, Southern Canyons, etc. It’s a long run, about 40NM to some of those spots. Make sure you calculate your fuel properly to; get there, troll or cube for the day and get back with a healthy amount to spare allowing for unforeseen changes in weather conditions and the extra weight of a big tuna in your boat J. You might need to get a spare tank or 2, better safe than sorry.

Good luck to anyone heading out.

post-22587-0-22177400-1467718077_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-72602100-1467718084_thumb.jpg

post-22587-0-07400300-1467718090_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures