Windlass or Drum winch?

G'day Fishraiders,

Apologies if this has been answered previously, but I'm after some advice on fitting a power anchor winch to my (new to me) boat.

It's a 5.6 Quinnie Classic (2000) aluminium outboard.

In previous boats I've been hand retrieving using a large reef anchor and 8 metres of chain on a 100 metre rope. The boat has a fairly small anchor well, and I'm looking for recommendations about which way you would go.

Windlass or drum winch?

Which brand?

Can I run a reef anchor, and will I need to fit a bowsprit?

Are chain socks any good?

Other things I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance,

JLS

Hi JLS,

Congrats on the new boat. I have a drum winch in my 560 barcrusher and love it. There are a couple of aussie made drum winches out there which are great quality and are making them in smaller sizes to fit a small anchor well. Have a search you will find them. I've been using a chain sock for a while and it really reduces the noise and well worth the cost. The main issue is to make sure you have big enough batteries to run them. They are hungry on the power. Ensure your cable size is up to the task and the batteries are in good condition. I installed a new bow sprit and changed from a sarca anchor to a standard reef anchor for my snapper fishing. I anchor in some rough country and the reefie was just easier to get back when stuck hard. One of the best things I ever installed in the boat. Cheers..........

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I have just bought a windlass for my 6 meter half cab, need to install it soon, i had a look at drum winches too, but the windlass suited my boat better, I will need to install a longer bow sprit , looking at a stainless steel unit.

I just installed a Lonestar Drum Winch this weekend on my Surtees. Was not too bad. Common sense. I don't have a Crimping tool for the 3B&S cable (Thick battery Cable) so I had to use a Vice with an Alan key return running parallel to the lug and tighten, then to be sure I melted solder into the crimp with a gas torch. If you have the correct tools it is easy. I would recommend getting a proper crimping tool. Not having one is a pain and adds a huge amount of time to the job.

I am happy with the drum. My research was that they are much more trouble free than a windlass.

I was quoted $700 to install a Drum Winch. And decided I would do myself. Big surprise was the cost of the cables. JCar sell for $16pm for 2B&S. I went to CES in Taren Point and got it for about $7 per meter. In total materials and stuff cost me $200. So saved $500. Lost a most of the weekend to it though.

If you have a mind for installing stuff, can measure and cut then do it yourself. You have to make sure you have enough bracing where you will install the winch. Surtees are onto it, I discovered a plate welded to the anchor well for mounting a winch onto. Very pleased to find this.

Easy days ahead.

post-30623-0-28181900-1470610437_thumb.jpg

post-30623-0-28672200-1470610718_thumb.jpg

Edited by recurve

• 2 weeks later...