new england

hi guys just joined raider..hoping this rain is hitting rivers in new England ..im goin up for a cod next weekend..we have been getting good numbers but last trip water was down making it hard work to find fish..does anyone live nth of tamworth or have been up that way recently...rick

Hi rickmarlin62, welcome to Fishraider. Can't offer any help with conditions in New England region, regarding Cod fishing (unfortunately). As a fellow Cod fisher though I am interested in where you fish and what methods you use to catch the green monsters. I live in the Riverina and usually fish the Murrumbidgee River, however it has been unfishable for the past 8 weeks or so. Firstly because the water was too low to put the boat in and navigate around, then a raging torrent of chocolate coloured water travelling at a high pace through all the weirs. Either way there's no chance of getting a line wet. The rains have been widespread so it's possible that there has been good flows in New England. You must be able to check online what the various rivers up there are doing. Anyway, keep in touch, we may be able to learn a few tricks from each other, down the track. Cheers, Neil.

hi neil ive been reading your reports for quite a while now..we mostly walk and fish rocky gorge country..clear running water and easy to see these beaut fish chase and eat our lures..nothing better..all fish released unless damaged..three trips for sixty five cod and six goldens..one damaged fish was kept it had a torn gill rake and would not have survived..we have been told to hit the larger still pools on our two rivers we fish as the larger specimens are rumoured to be lurking..we are going next weekend so I will report on return..cheers rick

G'day Rick & welcome to Fishraider.

I haven't been out that way for a few months. I know they've

had about 50mm of rain in the last few weeks, & overall the annual

rainfall is slightly above average.

Where I fish on the Severn is pumped upstream by a massive farm that

supplies Woolies, so it can drop pretty quickly.

The other parts of the river & others should be flowing as per normal.

Hopefully there will be less weed around if the rivers have had a bit of a flush.

It's a great time of year to chase big cod. You get less hits but the quality is usually

better. The warmest parts of the day around 2pm usually fishes best.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Grant.

hi neil ive been reading your reports for quite a while now..we mostly walk and fish rocky gorge country..clear running water and easy to see these beaut fish chase and eat our lures..nothing better..all fish released unless damaged..three trips for sixty five cod and six goldens..one damaged fish was kept it had a torn gill rake and would not have survived..we have been told to hit the larger still pools on our two rivers we fish as the larger specimens are rumoured to be lurking..we are going next weekend so I will report on return..cheers rick

Well done Rick and mates. Good luck with your venture next week too. Let us all know how you go, mate. Cheers, Neil.

post-39524-0-52722000-1468294136_thumb.jpgpost-39524-0-63118700-1468294210_thumb.jpghey neil still cant get pm to you..so without wanting to upset sponsors just thought id let you know we have been using FSJ lures in three sizes on cod..goldens..EPs..bass..bream...they are a copy of stumpjumpers on ebay just search FSJ LURES..GUY IN TASSIE SELLS THEM GOOD COLOUR RANGE..we have had good success on cod with yellow/black..purple..and various green frog colours ..they are VERY reasonable price and you don't cry if you break them in tiger country...rick

attachicon.gif594 (500x375).jpgattachicon.gif625 (500x375).jpghey neil still cant get pm to you..so without wanting to upset sponsors just thought id let you know we have been using FSJ lures in three sizes on cod..goldens..EPs..bass..bream...they are a copy of stumpjumpers on ebay just search FSJ LURES..GUY IN TASSIE SELLS THEM GOOD COLOUR RANGE..we have had good success on cod with yellow/black..purple..and various green frog colours ..they are VERY reasonable price and you don't cry if you break them in tiger country...rick

Thanks for that Rick. Keep the pictures coming. It's the only way I'll get to see what I ought to be catching, as it's unfishable round here. Neil.

Have any of you blokes tries surface popping for the green fish, once you do it you will be hooked for life, nothing better than the adrenalen rush when a decent cod strikes a surface lure, sometimes right at your feet.

A guy up in new england makes lures specially for the job, google surface popping green fish and it will probably come up with a couple of his utube videos, great to watch and better doing it yourself in person.

Frank

I have caught a lot of cod on surface lures..twenty years ago I was making thong things...a popper made from xtra thick rubber thongs...they worked a treat I am goin to make some soon..my trip this week is b eing put off for a week or two as the two spots we fish are both running a bit high for our liking..so stay tuned for a trip report in two weeks..by then I will have some thong poppers made and I will post some fotos of them...rick

Have any of you blokes tries surface popping for the green fish, once you do it you will be hooked for life, nothing better than the adrenalen rush when a decent cod strikes a surface lure, sometimes right at your feet.

A guy up in new england makes lures specially for the job, google surface popping green fish and it will probably come up with a couple of his utube videos, great to watch and better doing it yourself in person.

Frank

G'day Frank, I've started using surface lures this year and had some success. Certainly is a big thrill when the lure gets smashed at the boat. Will give them another go if/ when the river gets back to being fishable again. Cheers.

I have caught a lot of cod on surface lures..twenty years ago I was making thong things...a popper made from xtra thick rubber thongs...they worked a treat I am goin to make some soon..my trip this week is b eing put off for a week or two as the two spots we fish are both running a bit high for our liking..so stay tuned for a trip report in two weeks..by then I will have some thong poppers made and I will post some fotos of them...rick

Be interesting to see what they look like Rick.