Boat battery charger

Fishwithme

Hi guys,

I have recently boat a 4m tinny, it has a 100ah deep cycle battery which powers the fish finder, nav lights, and led lights.

I'm new to boating and am unsure how exactly this battery is meant to be charged. It is not connected to the motor.

It is held in place by screws so it's a bit of a pain to remove.

Any suggestions ?

What kind of charger would I need ?

And how would I charge the battery?

Thanks in advance

I think I have the ctek mxs 5. This one is 5amp with recondition function for stratification (happens in batteries that get discharged regularly). They seem to have many different chargers but I suspect that some of them have varying current supply, others have varying functionallity, ie recondition etc. I'm really happy with mine, have had it for a number of years now.

Matt

• Like 1

I think I have the ctek mxs 5. This one is 5amp with recondition function for stratification (happens in batteries that get discharged regularly). They seem to have many different chargers but I suspect that some of them have varying current supply, others have varying functionallity, ie recondition etc. I'm really happy with mine, have had it for a number of years now.

Matt

Thats also the Ctek i have, good little charger

• Like 1

Another thumbs up for the MXS5. Used to trickle the main plus an AGM used for the stereo and lights..

TC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think they are discounted pretty well in the current repco catalogue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've been using a (M-100) C-Tek charger for my 100Ah battery for years and it's done a great job.....

PS> You might want to research battery sizes as 100Ah seems overkill for only finder & lights, especially when space is premium in a 4m tinny!

If you go for a CTek charger and will be charging the battery whilst still in place in the boat you can buy a quick connector (aka comfort adapter) on eBay which makes hooking it up very easy.

If you go for a CTek charger and will be charging the battery whilst still in place in the boat you can buy a quick connector (aka comfort adapter) on eBay which makes hooking it up very easy.

They come with the comfort adapter.

• Like 1

Hi all,

I just got a Ctek MXS5 charger from Ebay for $99.00 delivered.

Had a bit of luck as well by saving $10.00 cause I held off buying it yesterday as the cheapest price was $109.00 from the same seller.

Might be becoming a run out model.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi fishraiders,

I didn't  want to start a new thread so I though I revive this one.

I recently purchase a 5.5m run about boat. Currently has a 140hp Yamaha. It currently set up with a 1, 2, all and off switch on dual batteries (current battery car).

I've recently taken the boat out and notice it cannot start on single battery and requires both. I've been advised by mechanic to get a 730amp century battery.

I would consider myaelf not very knowledgeable when it comes electronics so I'm seeking advice what battery to get to replace the 2x currently, what charger to get that does trickle charge and fast (notice C Tek is highly recommended by fishraiders).

Cheers Victor!

Ctex chargers are good. Something like the 7.0 MXS. There are better ones which output more amps, so your call.

Batteries - some people run two starter batteries, others one starter and a house/deep cycle. I do the former.

old school lead acids batteries - century marine pro or super charge sea master gold or similar.

some people use Agm batteries such as the optima blue tops.

Thanks Raging, correct me if im wrong although having the higher output amp sometimes isnt always good? I not sure which c tek is suitable that also allows trickle charge.

Can you have a cranking battery that is also deep cycle in one?

Hi Dorta,

You can have a cranking and deep cycle battery but if I were you, I would keep the cranking and deep cycle seperate.

You obviously have the set up already and it would be wise to keep your starting battery separate from your electronics.

This way, if your battery uses up all the power by whatever electronics you have, the engine will still start and get you home.

I installed my dual battery system about 12months ago and love the fact that I don't have to worry about the battery draining and the outboard not being able to start. I have also installed a VSR (Voltage Sensitive Relay) as well as 2x Digital Voltage displays on my dashboard. Now, I can see how many volts in each battery and the VSR (when outboard runnIng) automatically switches over and charges the 2nd ( house/electronics) battery ONCE it has charged the main/starting battery.......just for a piece of mind.

Do you have VSR attached as well?

As per below pic....

unnamed (7).jpg

1 hour ago, Dorta said:

Thanks Raging, correct me if im wrong although having the higher output amp sometimes isnt always good? I not sure which c tek is suitable that also allows trickle charge.

Can you have a cranking battery that is also deep cycle in one?

Ctex are battery chargers with some brains. That have multiple modes including a trickle charge. I think the default mode goes through 6 different cycles to maintain optimum charge. You don't need one, but they are well regarded.

I can confirm no VSR fitted, i have no clue when it comes to electricals. I just did my wheels bearings on the weekend for all 4x wheels.

I do have gauges fitted but not digital, they work but I am confident it is no where near 100%. I appreciate the responses greatly.

Victor.

As far as I know, the higher output battery chargers just mean that you can recharge your battery faster. You'll still get there will the smaller output ones, it will just take a bit longer. I charge my batteries by attaching the charge to the engine and then when the first is topped up, I change my battery switch to the house battery and top that one up. VSR is pretty simple to install but I guess if you are worried then you can get some one to do it for you. Battery charge I bought was the 6 amp SCA 7 stage charger when it was on special.

I'd try charging up your starter battery first, but it sounds like it is on the way out. I got a N70 4WD battery for my starter. Its easy enough to swap, just red with red and black with black, The hard bit is access and undoing the bolts and then putting it back in. If you can change a wheel bearing, you can swap a battery ;-) I think that a car battery is a little on the light side for your motor so I'd save up for something good. I have recently installed a Maxus N70. It was around $100 which is cheaper than marine ones. I figure that even if it only lasts two years, I'm still better off. Also it might be worth considering taking a small jump starter with you while your battery is in an unknown condition.  The final thing to have a chack is to put a multimeter on when the engine is running. Anything over 13 volts means that your alternator is probably doing its job. 

good luck!

My new boat came fitted with only one battery Century NS70M,

So I had the local boat place wire in a second battery which included a new 1- 2 - 1+2 - Off switch, VSR, Battery box, Battery, Tinned cabling and fittings which came to $400.

I used a Century Marine Battery Pro 680 NS70M, which starts my 115HP Etec fine,

You said the boat wont start on one battery but will start on two batteries.

Question

Does your motor start on the other single battery or wont start on either single battery?

Can you get them out and load tested by the local battery world or Some Mechanics will do it for free?

Do you have a multi meter that you can test the charging from your motor when running and test the level of charge in the batteries.

I have a Ctek5ms which is great for topping up the batteries over winter or if I haven't used it for a while. Trickle charging is good but if you use the boat regularly and turn off the batteries then a normal charge twice a year should sustain the batteries

1 hour ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Question

Does your motor start on the other single battery or wont start on either single battery?

Can you get them out and load tested by the local battery world or Some Mechanics will do it for free?

Do you have a multi meter that you can test the charging from your motor when running and test the level of charge in the batteries.

I have a Ctek5ms which is great for topping up the batteries over winter or if I haven't used it for a while. Trickle charging is good but if you use the boat regularly and turn off the batteries then a normal charge twice a year should sustain the batteries

By all means, I know how to change batteries etc... first time actually owning a boat so this has open up a new world... 

- No, motor doesn't start on single battery. Prior to the last trip it always started on one. (Personally I would want to change both batteries as they are car batteries at the moment).

- I might get them tested myself this weekend once I pick up a multi meter and follow your advice with running motor at the same time.

- I was thinking of always trickle charging the day before heading out. Only thing that is running is the Garmin Sounder, NAV lights & Anchor lights.

That's what I do, charge the batteries before heading out.

Without getting technical, don't worry about trickle charge or whatever. Just plug in your Ctek or other smart charger and it will charge the battery exactly how it needs to be charged to get it to 100%. There is only 1 charger you need.

OK

If you can afford it then yeah replace both car batteries with Marine batteries.

if you want to space out the batteries purchase, check the fluid levels and Load test the batteries and pick the best one to be your battery 2 to run you accessories and battery one replace with a Marine Battery no smaller than the NS70M (680cca) for your sized motor.

Once you have checked you motor is charging the batteries, confirmed the wiring is in good condition, it will give you a clearer idea of your direction.

Keep us up to date on how you go, its always nice for us and others to see how things end.

From Memory I paid just under $200 for my NS70M Marine Pro Battery, I search online and then price matched with the Marine Mech.

Edited by jeffb5.8

8 hours ago, Dorta said:

By all means, I know how to change batteries etc... first time actually owning a boat so this has open up a new world... 

- No, motor doesn't start on single battery. Prior to the last trip it always started on one. (Personally I would want to change both batteries as they are car batteries at the moment).

- I might get them tested myself this weekend once I pick up a multi meter and follow your advice with running motor at the same time.

- I was thinking of always trickle charging the day before heading out. Only thing that is running is the Garmin Sounder, NAV lights & Anchor lights.

Just a quick question.

Before you headed out last time and you had to use "both" on your switch, did you charge the batteries the day before or you just went without doing any charging? If you charged them, unfortunately that means the battery needs replacing.

If not, best thing to do  before you buy new batteries is to charge both batteries the day before heading out and see how you go. I always charge all my batteries the day before outing. Trickle charging via a solar panel is not charging. All that does is keep the voltage up but if your battery was low on voltage (like 10V or something), it won't fill it to 12.8V.....this is where you need a CTek charger to charge it up.

Anyway, best to eliminate all possibilities before spending your hard earned. There is nothing wrong with car batteries as I have (and as have others) used them for years. Yes, marine batteries are better as they are designed for use on a boat but I wouldn't just get rid of a battery cause it's not a marine battery. Use it until it dies, then when the time comes to buy a new one, buy a good marine battery....simples. :D

Edited by Sigma