Cooks attempt

W4z

Until recently I haven't really been to interested in chasing Mulloway. All the stories of long nights without a bite and lots of waiting have turned me off. I knew that when I finally did have a go it would be with lures or plastics and picking the right times so I can increase my chances.

Thanks to Swordfisherman being so generous in his reports I decided to try the Cooks river yesterday. The water way was new for me so even finding a place to launch the kayak took a little longer than I expected. By the time I was on the water and ready to go it was first light and a little later than what would've been ideal, but for the first time here it was helpful to be able to see my surrounding easily.

I cruised down to a bridge and started throwing Gulp 5" Jerk Shads on 1/4oz jigheads. I didn't sound over the areas as I didn't want to disturb any jewies but fished blindly. Lost a few jigheads to snags and that was about as much excitement as I had.

The tide was running pretty fast after a while and I was seeing fish on the sounder so I changed to a small soft vibe and threw it around for no luck. I was thinking the fish would be trevally so I changed over to a 2" Gulp Minnow on a 1/16th oz jighead and hooked up pretty quickly. A good fight started but was cut short by my leader snapping... I should have checked it, must've been damaged as it snapped halfway along.

Rerigged and on again first cast. I was a good fight and came up with a 45cm Trev.

post-33500-0-33800200-1468711926_thumb.jpg

post-33500-0-71764600-1468711950_thumb.jpg

That was it for the day. No more luck. Called it early and sounded around before I left.

Anyone have any advice for me in regards to catching jews on the cooks?

This trip was more of a suss out trip and I will have another go midweek this week.

Cheers

Waz

Nice work mate that's a shot for the pool room. Cooks jew in my experience; two hours each side of the high and hit bait schools around big structure. They'll be there.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

When the tide starts to run hard keep the big lures on and fish all the bridges hard and full and dark moons seem best.

I like high in the very early morning just starting to run out or a racing really low tide