Prepare pilchards with salt

Snapper81

Hi everyone,

I'm here again to ask and learn a new think for me!

I bough a 1kg bag of frozen pilchards and I would like to know the process for salt it.

I already put in a small box a different layer of salt and pilchards until the box was full. I leave it in the laundry sink.

How many hours I have to keep the pilchards under salt before are ready?

I have to keep it in the freeze or can stay in a dry place?

When I will go to fish how is the best method to keep it in a good way?

After my day fishing can I put away the pilchards I haven't used and re-use it for next time?

When can I keep it?

I know there are many questions sorry, but will be amazing help me to learn another think!!!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest 4myson

Once you have salted them put them STRAIGHT in the freezer .... I've used mine after 3 days salting & freezing them but you want them in there at least a week & you can always refreeze what you don't use .... (Don't put them in the same freezer that you keep the kids ice cream in) .....LOL...

Edited by 4myson

Guest Guest123456789

Oh noooo!

I salted yesterday night but I didn't put it on the freezer.

My I do it tonight or I have already no good it!!???

If it were me, I'd use that batch for burley mixed in with aniseed pellets.

Here is how I salt pilchards. Done this way it's on par with fresh bonito or striped tuna fillets IMO.

Gear:

1 x 10 litre rectangular tub or any 10litre tub that can fit in your fridge. The big department stores stock them.

1 x 25kg pool salt. Large hardware or department store, usually about $7.

1 x 2kg frozen BLOCK pilchards. I like tweed bait. Smaller pilchards are better than large.

1 x medium plastic snap bags (22x25cm).

Glad wrap.

Method:

First put frozen block pillies in plastic bag and put in fridge for between 12 to 24 hours. They will thaw so you can seperate but not so much that they begin to perish. In your tub layer small a couple of sheets of absorbable paper. Then a layer of salt. Then a layer of pilchards in neat rows. Then cover with salt. Then 2nd layer of pilchards, then layer of salt. Then 3rd layer of pilchards then final layer of salt. Done right you should have exactly 3 layers of pillies and salt and the lid will close easily. Then cover in glad wrap and store on top shelf of fridge. Done properly his will be airtight and you won't stink the fridge out. Leave for at least 48 hours and up to 5 days. Then remove from salt and place 11 pillies into plastic snap bags. Depending on pilchards size out will get between 5 to 8 bags and between 11 to 14 pilchards per bag. Store these in the freezer until use.

When you think about it block frozen pilchards are frozen on the trawler until they get to you. If you buy from a tackle store that turns over a lot of pillies they should be less than a few month old. Using the fridge to defrost and preserve makes a huge difference, the pilchards will never stink so after you cure them the fish go crazy for them.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Guest123456789

Thanks flatheadluke

It's totally different that I did [emoji17].....

Anyway now I have not time to buy others so I will use your technique. Ect time!

Really thanks

Guest Guest123456789

Also I look after pillies when fishing, keep them in the shade and I have a small cooler bag with an ice brick for them. When I take 1 bag, that costs about $1.80 and if I have a couple of left over pillies I just give them away or chuck rather than reuse. But that's just me and a lot of guys would take them home, re freeze and re use.

Or another method

You need a newspaper, a fridge, salt and pillys

Buy fresh pillys/sardines from your local seafood shop. Try the Chinese/Vietnamese one they're better and cheaper .

Open your newspaper in the middle, dispose of any glossy junk and add a layer of salt on one side,Add a layer of pillys, add a layer of salt. Fold the other side of the paper over them.Put em in the fridge. After 12-24 hours turn the whole shebang over. The newspaper soaks up all the water that the salt draws out.

After 24-36 hours you now have fairly dry tough flavoursome fishy treats. Ready for use or the freezer.

Once again don't try this in the wrong fridge.

EDIT, better detail

Edited by stevefish

Here is how I do it. Not saying it's right or wrong just what I have been doing for 50 odd years and can't find a reason not to do it this way.

Firstly I don't often use pillies, instead I use Slimey mackeral, catch them or buy them from a fish market.

I fillet the slimey and use head and guts for berley, with the fillet I have a stainless steel tray about 1 metre X 40cm x about 50 mm deep

I sprinkle a layer of butchers salt flat on the tray, I then lay neatly the fillets of mackeral side by side but not touching each other, I then sprinkle a heavy layer of salt over the top of the fillets, making sure they are all covered, if I have more than one layer I place the 2nd layer of fillets and repeat sprinkling of salt.

I then leave this tray full of salted fillets somewhere that the cats can't get to them for 24 hours. After 24 hours I take each fillet and lay them in a plastic container and put them in the freezer. Take away food containers are ideal for a fishing session which will give you about 20 full fillets. Re-use them time after time and they will never smell, they don't freeze so you can use them one at a time and separate at a touch.

Frank

Very good suggestions. Thank you guys..

2 additional questions please:

- Do you scale the larger fish for bait e.g. large mullet before filleting/salting?

- Where can I get thick salt in smaller than 25kg bags at reasonable price?

if you buy block pillies smack the block down on flat concrete once or twice flat side down..this will separate pillies let them half defrost//wrap 6 or 8 pillies with liberal sprinkle of salt in newspaper..put a couple of these in bags and place in bottom of fridge for two days..newspaper sucks moisture from pillies..then place in freezer still in newspaper..when you go fishing take what u need..they will be tough and stay on hooks better ..leave in paper and refreeze unused bags..if left wrapped in paper and kept in esky u can refreeze numerous times as they don't defrost easily..best of luck..rick

Guys,

Maybe I didn't write very well cause my English [emoji17], I like and I say thanks for all this different technique you suggest me, but unfortunately I already fix the pilchards in a plastic box. First step I leave the pilchards defrost and all the water come out. Second step I putted in the box first layer with salt (about 2cm) and then pilchards and so on until the box was full. I leave the box cover with different plastic bag in a sink for 12 hours and when I came back today there was still water inside the box and salt. I removed the water, keep the salt and I added more salt where needed.

My question was:

After all this steps I did good to put the pilchards in the freezer with salt?

I have to keep until I will use it inside the box with salt or after a while I can remove the salt?

How I have to bring with me the pilchards? I keep it in a box with salt or I can bring without salt?

Let me know

Once you have salted them put them STRAIGHT in the freezer .... I've used mine after 3 days salting & freezing them but you want them in there at least a week & you can always refreeze what you don't use .... (Don't put them in the same freezer that you keep the kids ice cream in) .....LOL...

Ahahahah that's funny!

Thanks a lot!

• 3 weeks later...