Tuna Bycatch

stacko69

Went out in search of Tuna last Monday at the Southern Canyons. We headed further south towards the temp break with only two lures out when the line started peeling off the 50W. I was certain we were onto a tuna from that first run but after fighting the fish for a while I started to think this wasn't the tuna I was hoping for. Twenty minutes later and my suspicion was right when I saw the Mahi Mahi. It was foul hooked just behind the head which made the fight a lot harder than what it should have been but this was a pb for me so I was happy we got it into the boat after numerous gaff attempts. it weighed in at roughly 17kgs and was 1.4m in length.

What a weird winter fishing season we are having with big dollies and Marlin being caught not too far from the tuna. Charts off Bermagui look great if your down that way.

post-869-0-40203900-1469599791_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately we were running low on fuel just as the temp was dropping so we decided to turn back for the long ride home. We were half way to Kiama canyons so I reckon another 10nm and we would have found it. By Tuesday it would have been even further. Not a very good tuna season for me this year.

Thanks, it was actually caught with one of your lures from the tuna pack I bought off you a few years ago. Didn't fill the chamber with any bait as all the bait we had on the boat was still frozen.

Nice Dolli, we took a shot in the dark a couple of weeks ago. Started at the bait station, then down to Browns, then wide 10 km for nil. Water 21.7 East so turned back. Not even a Bonnie or Stripped. Should have run South. Anyone think its not all over this year around Sydney.

Nice Dolli, we took a shot in the dark a couple of weeks ago. Started at the bait station, then down to Browns, then wide 10 km for nil. Water 21.7 East so turned back. Not even a Bonnie or Stripped. Should have run South. Anyone think its not all over this year around Sydney.

hope I am wrong, but I think the BFT have come and gone off Sydney. About 2 weeks ago only 2 or 3 BFT were caught off the Browns and other boats that got them were further south. Water off Sydney is 21.5 + in places which is high for BFT. But YFT and Albacore should still be around, they don't mind the warmer water, plus Dollies and marlin will be on the those temp breaks as well. I'd give it go if I had some time, you're a chance for anything the way the water is right now.

Never know, there could be run of YFT still to come.

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

Plenty of blue fin and yellow fin being caught down south but to far for recs.

this is from today, this patch looks promising even for BFT, its goes 21.5 to 19, its just little bit too far for me, about 45NM from Sydney and looks about 35NM+ from Botany. If it moves north west about 10-15NM its within range, i might try to find a day next week, but I'll probably get crap weather :)

just checked Monday is ok, the rest of the week is really crap, 3m+ and 30knot winds

post-22587-0-54044300-1469874713_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

I fished jb today out to 1500 fathoms. Found the massive temp break that's been sitting there all week but the current was raging and couldn't find any bait or fish for that matter.

Big day but no fish makes cleaning the boat quick :)

Fished off Batemans Bay Friday, for one smallish blue eye and nothing on the troll. A couple of boats were out off Tuross sea mounts and Bermagui, with nothing caught on the radio. Fish are still too far out for trailer boats down here. Cheers...........

Dave

I fished jb today out to 1500 fathoms. Found the massive temp break that's been sitting there all week but the current was raging and couldn't find any bait or fish for that matter.

Big day but no fish makes cleaning the boat quick :)

Cheers for that,I was um'n & r'n about wether to head down there to fish that break tomorrow.

Probably saved me a wasted trip.