v4 johnson running very rich

warnie100

hi folks I have just changed my key switch and since then the motor starts bearley runs and blows heaps of blue smoke as though the choke is stuck on also the alarm signal doesn't beep when you turn the key on any help please as there is no mechanic for miles thanks in advance

I know that motor well. Definitly sounds like the choke is stuck on. Although I found if it got flooded a bit it would take a fair run time or a good burst to get rid of the fuel and stop it being too rich.

I take it you know the motor well? You do know that when starting the motor if you push the key imwards while turning it or cranking the motor that gives it choke.?

I found my motor never wanted choke even after a long time off the water just a prime at the bulb and turn the key till it fires. No choke at all, if any one short push in with the key. They flooded easy and once they do a %%%%% to start and run rough and rich for a while. My mechanic told me that about the starting of that motor.

Sounds like maybe the choke mechanism in the key maybe stuck on slightly, although if my old one had that much choke for that long it would not run at all no way. It might just need a real good run on the water at good revs to clear it out? Plugs oiled up a bit? Oil mix a bit rich?

If that alarm sound doesnt beep to say all functions are clear maybe the replacement was not correct part? They are a good tough engine though

Dave

• 5 weeks later...