finin

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heading out tomorrow morning for a look at the deep blue 

Two on board and 4.5m tinny centre console

all safety equipment for those worried 

havent had a good look at any good game fish this season but hope to hook something 

will keep you posted, but if we go badly will not post , ha ha 

will be trying a spread of five skirted lures. Heading northeast and then back to 12 mile 

Boat name: Black Marlin 

rego: BMARL1N 

I plan to head out tomorrow too, Im in a 5m centre console called Predator. I will be on ch21. 

Will be fishing pretty much the same area as you but I have tried it a couple of times in the last week without a shot. Im due.

So we got out early this morning and were at the heads by about 5:00am as the cruise ship was readying to enter the harbour.

We headed straight out to the 12 mile but could only manage about 20kmph so was a bit slow. Weather calmed right off later and there was no swell

The temp went from 22-23 on the way out. There were some nice current lines around the 12 mile but didnt produce after a few big circles.

We headed further out and the temp dropped back to 22.5 about 25km out. We hooked an undersized dollie.

Then headed NW back towards the Manly Fads. We hit a current change where the water calmed and spotted a Marlin on the surface in front of the boat. It was cruising into the current. 22.6 degree water.

We tried to overtake him and get him into our lure spread but he disappeared. We had no live bait unfortunately.

About 15 mins later heading in we spotted another marlin on the surface. We werent quite sure what species, we could just see the tail fin out of the water cruising along. Every now and then the dorsal fin would pop up too. He was cruising at about 16kmph.

We followed and circled him for about 10 mins but no takers. We were gutted we had no live bait to drop back but then again he may have just been not hungry....

ANYWAY it was nice to see and we trolled the rest of the way in to the inner fad with no luck. Water seemed warmer in closer (23 degrees) than where we had been outside around 25km out.

We saw two sharks about 5 ft long maybe bronzies as they were a brown colour.

Came through 2 pods of dolphins and saw plenty of birds, no diving though.

We got back to the heads around 12:30pm. Had done around 120kms, and used about 60 litres of fuel. So not too expensive for  7hrs fishing. The Yamaha 40hp 2 stroke did its job today.

Anyone else have better luck out today?

Attached is some footage of the free swimmer and pic of boat

Free swimmer.mov

car and boat.JPG

Edited by Aerialangler

Nice report mate , shame you couldn't get a hookup. Were you pulling a teaser? How's the center console for storage not having a t top for rods etc ?

Just watched the video, very cool.

Edited by Raymondo

I put in the afternoon shift out there today. Worked between 50-60 fathoms. Glamour conditions , lots of bird activity, surface bait but no shots unfortunately. Did hear a couple on the radio but I missed out. Way it goes.

Thanks guys for your feedback,

Raymondo- Yeh we weren't pulling a teaser, our boat is the teaser ha ha

And rod storage is not bad. We have a rocket launcher on the centre console up top to hold 4 rods.

When we are trolling we have some rod holders attached facing out off the bow rail, which gives us two rods out wide. Then we have 4 holders at the back of the boat for other rods, but we only run 2 off there on 45 degree angle.

We run a shot gun off one of the rocket launchers up top. So that give us 5 for trolling.

We were running Black/purple Zacatak 10" , Black magic Evil tuna terror  8", Pakula sprocket Lumo 6" ,a pink 6" squid daisy chain and a natural black/green Fatboy 5" shot gun- (the shot gun lure got the dollie)

It seems a bit hard going out there this season....

Gday all, well if you were lucky to get out today there were marlin galore, some inside 30f. Had a free jumper who must of been on drugs as we watched this black tail walk for just under a mile in 45M. Heard boats hooking up at the heads, heard of a boat that wore a small black across its front screen, dont know outcome. Plenty of fish dropped as well. Marlin off manly, bondi, maroubra, botany. This run wont last long, when it stops off  the goldy, then we have about two weeks for these little blacks. 

Edited by finin

There were good numbers of blacks caught this weekend off lake Mac and Newcastle,  mostly just a few K out.  Also a couple of blues caught out on the shelf with the odd short bill thrown in.  

Sadly it was doughnuts for us out wide. 

I'm a real novice fisho, the weekend was the first time I threw the outriggers on the boat and set out to chase some big fish.Had an early start Sunday morning, picked up a mate on the way and towed the boat up to Nelson Bay, got some livies and headed out to hopefully bag a Marlin. Had one strike that we couldn't convert, saw a few other boats hooking up and spotted another Marlin in the water but again couldn't convert it. Conditions were near perfect out on the water, plenty of dolphin activity but very little birds around. Plenty of boats were steaming down south towards one mile so I can only assume it was hot down there. We were fishing in about 50m and the water temp was sitting around 24.

Went out again yesterday off Norah Head but only managed a few decent sized stripeys, but was still a good day out on the water.the water was a little cooler down here sitting around 23.5.

Stinging to get back out there and hopefully land one soon

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't been out for awhile been busy but the wife and I managed a quick outing on Tuesday to the Botany Bay wide FAD. Water temperature epic 27.2 and the FAD is loaded with Dollies. We managed a solid hook up before a malfunction with the boat caused us head back to the ramp for safety reasons only after 30 minutes at the FAD. 

dogbox

41 minutes ago, NaClH2OK9 said:

Bad luck on the fish but your home safe to try again. 

I've not been out for 3 weeks but all packed for the port Stephens Interclub. 

Hopefully have a report after the weekend if I can get this monkey off my back....  

Weather looks good for the weekend Steve! But make sure you pack a raincoat! :)