Offshore today

finin

On 2/23/2017 at 7:47 AM, dogbox said:

Haven't been out for awhile been busy but the wife and I managed a quick outing on Tuesday to the Botany Bay wide FAD. Water temperature epic 27.2 and the FAD is loaded with Dollies. We managed a solid hook up before a malfunction with the boat caused us head back to the ramp for safety reasons only after 30 minutes at the FAD. 

dogbox

Hi dogbox, you must be spewing to find the fish and then have to leave because of the problem with the boat. Hope you can fix it quickly and you can both get out there again. Better luck next time mate, BN

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/26/2017 at 6:34 AM, big Neil said:

Hi dogbox, you must be spewing to find the fish and then have to leave because of the problem with the boat. Hope you can fix it quickly and you can both get out there again. Better luck next time mate, BN

Yes i was the electrical supply was shutting down and we where faced breaking down with no radio. If it had i would have used the eperb.

dogbox

On 27 February 2017 at 8:06 AM, finin said:

Sorry dogbox, but why would you use an EPIRB, for an electrical problem.  You will get into all sorts of sh@t for that and probably be billed the cost of a search and rescue.

So,

If his boat breaks down due to an unexpected electrical problem you don't think he should use an epirb if he has no power on the boat?? Just a reminder that radios don't without power...I was in a similar situation 50 km out and like him pulled the pin and came home with yellowfin at the back of the boat...turned out to be a worn wire for me..

I also doubt very much he would get fined if he has lost all other communications but maybe you are an expert on this...run out of fuel and yes fine them!

56 minutes ago, rippinlips said:

So,

If his boat breaks down due to an unexpected electrical problem you don't think he should use an epirb if he has no power on the boat?? Just a reminder that radios don't without power...I was in a similar situation 50 km out and like him pulled the pin and came home with yellowfin at the back of the boat...turned out to be a worn wire for me..

I also doubt very much he would get fined if he has lost all other communications but maybe you are an expert on this...run out of fuel and yes fine them!

Agreed. No power, no motor, no radio? What do you do that far out? Let off flares & hope for the best? You can't tell me that's not a situation to use your epirb.

After 25 years in emergency management, a total loss of power out at sea, is an emergency.  No bilge, start to take on water for some reason ie.  wind/sea picks up, and a boat can sink pretty quick.  I can't see any emergency service being critical in such circumstances.  I'm sure any reasonable person would take all steps to get themselves going but if you're stranded then an EPIRB is a responsible alternative.  Cheers......

Dave

So after speaking to AMSA and the Water Police an EPIRB should ONLY be used if in imminent danger. No fine etc unless for stupidity.                                   So what constitutes this, it is up to the individuals decision, so brings about a very open interpretation to it.                       So how do we reduce the risk of having to set one off in the first place? Make sure all is well before you go.                       Are you and your boat capable of going where you are going?                            When was the last time you went over your boat?   Electrial, battery/batteries charged, engine run before you leave home? etc..                                            Weather.. Have you checked it?                   Still doesnt matter what you do beforehand, things will happen at sea but the odds can be reduced beforehand.                                                     In regards to communication your radio should be wired to the battery on a seperate circuit and fused in accordance. So in having a short or whatever somewhere it wont affect and alleviates having to go through wiring to look for a fault. How many of you carry spare electrical bits on board or would even carry a volt metre. I have all plus can carry a fully charged spare battery.     You have a phone so if in range use it. If you blokes spend that much time offshore and can afford good electronics, try saving for a sat phone. More useful than a radio will ever be.        No problem at sea is an emergency unless you make it one, except a breach or fire. Everything can generally be fixed if you carry the right tools and spares or mothered till port.                                           With the amount of boat traffic off Sydney, depending on circumstance id be happy to float around till someone  was near,, ya gunna do it anyway waiting for help, yes a flare, a V sheet would suffice, for me the EPIRB is the ultimate last resort.                 

I had a stebercraft with an inboard and my alternator died and drained my battery when about 5 miles from Swansea heads...things happen...I then installed second battery..but even then it would prob only run dry after half hour anyway without alternator pumping power into the system...wires can wear through..terminals can break off batteries..motors can seize..the list goes on....if one thinks you are in a position where you need help and nothing else works then your epirb which you have to carry by law in case you break down or are in danger should be used..why else do we pay so much money to buy the bloody things if you shouldn't use it...discretion is up to the individual...if I had no fone recptn or radio and no other boat in sight with seas rising I think I know what I would do...rick

8 hours ago, finin said:

With the amount of boat traffic off Sydney, depending on circumstance id be happy to float around till someone  was near,, ya gunna do it anyway waiting for help, yes a flare, a V sheet would suffice, for me the EPIRB is the ultimate last resort.  

I hope you would have enough food & water. Depending on where you are, which way the current is running & the sea conditions you could be waiting a while. But hey, if you want to put yourself & whoever else is onboard at risk that's your choice...

27 minutes ago, Jewhunter said:

I hope you would have enough food & water. Depending on where you are, which way the current is running & the sea conditions you could be waiting a while. But hey, if you want to put yourself & whoever else is onboard at risk that's your choice...

He will have plenty of food and water and not need to worry about conditions In his 55 ft boat....see earlier posts ..no trailer boat guy here...LOL I've always found big boat owners the most judgemental...

Edited by rippinlips

Hi Finin,

You make a lot of good points, but not all us boaties are offshore from Sydney.  This is a big wide country and we go boating in all sorts of locations, some of those with very little population.  All the safety tips you point out are probably practiced by the majority of boaters, I know I do those things you have mentioned.  And yes, radio's, phones, sat phones, v sheets, flares, whistles, waving arms, mirrors etc all have their place.  And I think the majority of people will use those methods first, but if all else fails and I'm stranded with no other option, I know what I will do and that is set off my EPIRB.  Each to their own I guess.  Good luck with your boating and I hope you never have to use yours.  Cheers.........

Dave

Epirbs are for emergencies when there are no other options left and if the skipper deems it necessary then that is the choice that will be made and that will be the end of this rubbish about not using one when you are in an emergency for whatever reason

Friends of mine, took my boat out.... I had to work....

conditions were superb!!! Gloomy early morning but got better  

they had 24-25 degree water around the manly fads, bluer water than it has been. They didn't venture out past 70 fathoms 

caught some size dollies at the wider fad 

Small live yakkas got some but burleying up with pillies and using them worked too 

some bonito on the way back around the heads with divers  

23 hours ago, rippinlips said:

He will have plenty of food and water and not need to worry about conditions In his 55 ft boat....see earlier posts ..no trailer boat guy here...LOL I've always found big boat owners the most judgemental...

FININ corrected me via PM his normal boat is a 23 so please ignore my comment.

cheers

I went out today. Worked 50 - 65 fathoms out from Botany. Water was superb especially around 50 fathoms. 26 degrees and probably the bluest i've seen all summer. Glass calm but alas still dead. Saw no bait or birds or even dolphins, 

Ran lures, skipbaits and teaser strings , Not fair considering the effort but who do you complain to? Will take the boat to Port Stephens now try to luck into a bite there.

Edited by issue

Headed out of port Stephens today. The weather was ordinary to say the least. We pulled lures from the 70 fathom mark on a n/e direction to the shelf and then worked to the car park and found we were the only mad buggers out there. Swell was coming from the north over 2m and winds from the south. Decided to head back in and the wind changed to a westerly which made the trip home longer! Ended up with zeros but was nice to get out and have a go! Heard of one little black caught on the 50m line heading north. Other than that the radio chatter was non existent. 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

44 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Headed out of port Stephens today. The weather was ordinary to say the least. We pulled lures from the 70 fathom mark on a n/e direction to the shelf and then worked to the car park and found we were the only mad buggers out there. Swell was coming from the north over 2m and winds from the south. Decided to head back in and the wind changed to a westerly which made the trip home longer! Ended up with zeros but was nice to get out and have a go! Heard of one little black caught on the 50m line heading north. Other than that the radio chatter was non existent. 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Forecast does not look good for the rest of the week either

• 4 weeks later...

Found some blue water over the shelf today off Swansea. Not much of a temp break and 4 knots downhill. 1 hour down forever getting back. Lots of green the further south we went. 

No christening my new pair of tiagras today (pressie to myself after my first marlin) . But nice to be out on the water all the same. 8 boats on sched best was a 1.1.0