Flint & steel reef

sam bros

Make sure you use a reef pick if anchoring up there.

The current flows really fast at mid tide and you can go close to sinking your boat trying to pull up a snagged sand anchor.

Been there , done that!

have a good time.

Cheers

Chris

Make sure you use a reef pick if anchoring up there.

The current flows really fast at mid tide and you can go close to sinking your boat trying to pull up a snagged sand anchor.

Been there , done that!

have a good time.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for the tip

I was gonna anchor just off the reef on a sandy bottom

Then fish the baits back onto the reef

Because I only have a sand anchor

On that note about the reef anchor, I don't have one, and also thinking about buying one. When you attach the reef anchor, do you attach it to the chain or the rope? I've heard of people going about it both ways, and I have no idea which is correct.

On that note about the reef anchor, I don't have one, and also thinking about buying one. When you attach the reef anchor, do you attach it to the chain or the rope? I've heard of people going about it both ways, and I have no idea which is correct.

You should always attach your anchor to 3/4 the length of your boat in a heavy gauge chain "especially" in hard current. It reduces the chance of your boat slipping anchor. So if your boat is 15foot long have 10ft minimum of chain on your rope.. Recently a rookie mate of mine who we teaching wrapped a fishing line around his prop under the Hexen Bridge, lucky we taught him well, toss the anchor out with 12ft of chain, it grabbed quickly and he was able to sort out his prop mess without worrying about a unpowered tangled up prop in heavy curent.

• Like 1

Also heard of attaching the reef pick directly to the rope, have chain on a reef pick gives more chance of the chain getting wedged into the reef causing you more problems.

Chain on a sand anchor is a definite, chain hold the weight down so the anchor can dig in.

If you're unsure look up on you tube about reef anchor. Pretty good explanations on there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I anchor up 99% over reefs with Reef Anchor on Chain. Never not been able to get it back. I have lost three Anchor and Chain. All three have been when a Sand Anchor went to Reef.

You will hold much better with Chain and it will also be much more comfy as the chain acts as a shock absorber. If just a rope then all the action will be transferred to you and the boat. Also much more likely that you will slip and will be harder to get a hold if current running hard. Chain helps you lay it out.

Thanks everyone. I just thought I'd put the question out there since the reef anchor was in topic. It makes sense to me to use a chain on a reef anchor as well. I was curious as to why you wouldn't after hearing of people that don't, but that appears to be a minority.

The reef travels out about 100 metres. We went past there this morning about 0700 and there was only 1 boat there. In summer there can be dozens of boats there and it can be difficult to find a place to anchor. And the advice re the tide is accurate but it doesn't mention the fact you have swell coming in all the time and this is interspersed with the wash from big boats going past. We always go down to idle speed when going past there.