Small vibes off Bondi beach

jdanger

Wandered down to Bondi Beach for a quick flick late yesterday arvo armed with my bream stick and a small vibe I picked up in a $1 bargain bin.

First cast landed an impossibly small whiting with the third cast bringing in this beautifully light coloured flatty.

Dropped what felt like another small flathead a short time later but that was it for the sesh.

Nice way to spend the hour before sunset. Swell was very low and it was nice to find a gutter without swimmers in it for a change.

post-24084-0-38358700-1470897760_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

First cast landed an impossibly small whiting with the third cast bringing in this beautifully light coloured flatty.

Nice photo, jdanger. How did you retrieve the blade for whiting and how deep was the water?

Retrieve was a mix of short hops and long pauses. Tried a few more aggressive retrieves but the subtlety seemed to work. Whiting was taking right on the shorebreak so water wouldn't have been more than a ft deep. Any closer and it would've been out of the water. The gutter itself wouldn't have been more than 1m deep.

Had a night bait session off south Bondi a few days later for a couple of good bream taken on fresh prawns. The couple next to me bagged half a dozen trevally on pilchards.

Best fish taken on the vibes was a 35cm bream taken around a year ago (really should put more time into the beach).

The fish are there but the trend for making the vibes work seems to be low swell and daylight - low visibility and rough seas seems to be a waste of time.

• 5 months later...

Grew up in Bondi and use to fish the rips at night on prawns for whiting and whatever else.

Parking is a problem and fishing during the day most of the time is full of people.

Use to spin off North Bondi point a lot too.

Good all round fishing beach.

Edited by DMG

12 hours ago, DMG said:

Grew up in Bondi and use to fish the rips at night on prawns for whiting and whatever else.

Parking is a problem and fishing during the day most of the time is full of people.

Use to spin off North Bondi point a lot too.

Good all round fishing beach.

What's the North Point like? Dangerous? Safe?

I'd imagine it would produce good pelagics but haven't had a chance to check it out. 

North Point is fine in suitable conditions, though I tend to avoid it in swell 1.5M and up depending on directions.

I actually prefer the south under Icebergs. More sheltered and not short of salmon & tailor. Blackies & squid are around as well.

Also agree that prawns in the beach gutters at night are a bet for bream & trevally. Haven't seen good whiting but I'm sure they're there too.

Good one finding room to fish down there. 

No suprise to get the whiting on blades. 

Cast into the edge of the gutter slow draw with the rod to get the vibe working as the swell surges back out then let it drop back to the bottom. Often you don't need to wind in line as the vibe gets dragged parallel to the beach toward the rip. The whiting will pick it of the bottom. Vibes as small as 15 mm will catch flatties also.

• 2 weeks later...

Brassroots yes can be dangerous.
I will try and upload a map and mark the areas I used to fish regular.

The green areas are the only areas to fish here unless absolutely dead flat.

beware these 2 spots are exposed to any type of swell and flat rock sits almost level with the water.

Flat rock produces blackfish/squid most other stuff.

The front rock platform circled produces surface fish as it is a rock to spin off,have had a penguin or 2 jump up on the rock in front of me while spinning.:D

The boat ramp produces anything,not a boat ramp to drive down and launch your boat :)

Beach faces S/E with 3 Permanent rips,1 Northern end as shown,2. Middle and 3. South end.

a 4th one can appear at Northern end. Fish these rips.

Never fished the rocks on the south side (AKA The Boot )

Whiting off the beach is a yes,I have caught on prawns.

Inkedpicture002_LI.jpg

Inkedpicture003_LI.jpg

Inkedpicture001_LI.jpg

Edited by DMG

Youre a legend mate! Thanks for that. Not sure how keen I am but its nice to tuck away in the back of the mind for those ultra flat days.

I used to surf that northern rip all the time too in highschool. great place to go spotting for white pointers :ph34r: