Hairtail & Haweksbury Session

sam bros

Hi raiders,

Had an eventful hairtail session. This would probably be my final time targeting hairtail this season, so it was good to get out and catch some fish

I was hoping to get to launch before sunset but my brother got home too late and didn't leave the house till about 6.

Got to the boat ramp soon enough and started to load the boat. Got to our spot and my brother started to berly while i rigged up. Had three pillie rods and one squid rod in the hopes of a Jew.

Started to get bites straight away but found it hard to hook up.

My brother managed to hook up on around midnight. Got a couple bites for the next couple hours but couldn't get a hook-up. My brother didn't put one of the rods properly in the rpd holder and all I see is that rod getting hit and fall into the water and sink into the depths. It was a new combo as well, only a couple weeks old. Tried to use another rod in the hopes of hooking up the line or rod but after a while gave up and admitted defeat. I looked at one of the other rods and saw it was getting hits. I struck to set the hooks and all I could feel was faint head shakes and weight. It did not feel like a fish what so ever. I wind in and see my bait and rig untouched but there was another line tangled to the glow stick. I was thinking this may be our lost rod. Brought up that line and sure enough, the rod and reel was on the boat, along with the hairtail that tool the combo for a swim.

Around 4 am a school moved under our boat and we got heaps of bites and hook ups. Managed to land another 6. Once the sun came up the bites stopped

post-23037-0-86704400-1471248843_thumb.jpg

We had some breakfast and head over to flint and steel to see our luck. Couldn't get any livies or fish.

I started to flick for some fish on SP. But the current was to fast so I gave out till the tide went slack. I then used a bloodworm wriggler and managed to hook up to my first flattie that went 45 cm. Another half hour later hooked onto a slightly smaller model.

post-23037-0-38897800-1471248825_thumb.jpg

All in all was a great days fishing and was good to get a feed.

The hairtail are still there so go put there and give it a go

Thanks for reading

Good report Sam. How lucky to get your rod back...sadly busting two others would have taken the joy out of the experience mate. Still you got onto some fish. Good onya.

Thanks mate

It was such a surprise to get the rod back with the hairtail still on it.

Gave the reel a service yesterday and it looks like all is well.

Just need to get the 2 rods back to warranty and get them replaced

Good work Sam, we also have given up for this year. We will target salmon this weekend out of Pittwater. Mind you there seems to be a bit of interference from the weather gods. Seabreeze shows a bit of a northerly for tomorrow and Saturday. Curiously, the weather app on the phone shows no rain but the Fox weather channel shows rain all day Saturday. Guess we will get out there and find out for ourselves.

Good work Sam, we also have given up for this year. We will target salmon this weekend out of Pittwater. Mind you there seems to be a bit of interference from the weather gods. Seabreeze shows a bit of a northerly for tomorrow and Saturday. Curiously, the weather app on the phone shows no rain but the Fox weather channel shows rain all day Saturday. Guess we will get out there and find out for ourselves.

bout time you got out to Browns mountain in your little toy Harold for some deep dropping or chase some Marlin off port Stephens and I know a few willing deckies hahaha

Thanks Harold

Won't be able to get out this weekend due to other commitments unfortunately. I had a look around pittwater and broken bay when i went out. I couldn't find any salmon schools, only tailor schools around that 30-40cm mark.

But I wasn't really looking that hard as I wasn't targeting them so they could be there.

How are you going to target the salmon if you don't mind me asking. Trolling or look for the schools and cast a slug out?

tricks to catching finicky hairtail is not to strike..... well not straight away.. when you feel its biting... just very slowly wind the line... sooner or later you will feel a firmer tug, this is when you strike. This should give you near 100% :)

tricks to catching finicky hairtail is not to strike..... well not straight away.. when you feel its biting... just very slowly wind the line... sooner or later you will feel a firmer tug, this is when you strike. This should give you near 100% :)

Thanks for the tip

I tried every different method to hook them up. I tried giving them a plenty of line before striking, I tried striking quickly, when they tugged, when they didn't.

They are a very frustrating fish to catch

I did end up with 8 for the night so I can't complain. It was a good way to end the hairtail season

Nice catches, this year there seems to be a lot of hairtail around!

Thanks mate

Yeah, I had a 100% strike rate this year. As in I caught a couple hairtail each outing.

No donuts, which is very unlike me

Sam, we fished out of the basin from our mooring and our system is to leave a full pilchard out on a treble about mid water which is 5 metres there and we have it on a light sinker. We caught zilch during the day but as night hit we were catching rat salmon hand over fist. All circa 40cms and a couple smaller. The first fish Jeremy caught was huge and blow me down he had it at the boarding platform and I could not get the stupid landing net out from under deck, it was under the hose and a bunch of other stuff plus it had got caught up on something, by the time I finally got it out the fish had gotten off. He is still yelling at me tonight. We kept a couple of the salmon because Mimi knows how to cook them (she is from Hong Kong) and the rest were released. Jeremy also caught the weirdest little squid like thing in a bucket off the back. We took a pic of it and I am going to see if I can find it on google.

Sam, we fished out of the basin from our mooring and our system is to leave a full pilchard out on a treble about mid water which is 5 metres there and we have it on a light sinker. We caught zilch during the day but as night hit we were catching rat salmon hand over fist. All circa 40cms and a couple smaller. The first fish Jeremy caught was huge and blow me down he had it at the boarding platform and I could not get the stupid landing net out from under deck, it was under the hose and a bunch of other stuff plus it had got caught up on something, by the time I finally got it out the fish had gotten off. He is still yelling at me tonight. We kept a couple of the salmon because Mimi knows how to cook them (she is from Hong Kong) and the rest were released. Jeremy also caught the weirdest little squid like thing in a bucket off the back. We took a pic of it and I am going to see if I can find it on google.

Thanks mate

Good to see the salmon are there.

Hopefully next time they are rat kings rather than rat salmons :)