Batemans Bay update

Croydon

Well with family commitments getting in the way, I was unable to get out on the weekend and fish our local monthly comp but at the weigh in on Sunday there were some good results. Local snapper fishing was slow with a few fish around the 1.5kg mark caught early in the morning with a few larger morwong thrown in. The flathead are back on the chew with plenty of sand flathead to 950gms weighed. Offshore a number of small yellowfin and albacore schools were sighted busting up around Moruya Canyons, with fish to 10kg weighed in.

With this in mind I headed out yesterday morning. In close the water was 14deg and dead flat, about 3k's offshore the north westerly took over turning the half meter swell to a short sharp chop. As we reached the 70 fathom mark the water started to warm to a decent 19.6 around the shelf and out to the 500 fathom mark. As the wind died the sea settled to a beautiful day. We trolled the canyons for a small yellowfin of around 5kg and two small striped tuna. All taken on a black and purple jet head lure. Over the radio we heard reports of fin and albacore to 10kg out around the 1000 fathoms so we headed out. Of interest, the fish out a little wider were only taking deep divers in green, not touching the skirts at all. As we did the water got colder and colder reaching 18deg. We joined the other boats for several hours with nothing to report. About 3pm we decided to troll towards home, and as murphy would have it one of the boats several k's to our east hooks up and lands a 50kg yellowfin!!

We trolled home on a pretty flat sea for for a 5pm finish. A great day in all, the school tuna are around in numbers with some bigger models to be had. Unfortunately, I think the bluefin have gone for another year. It was fun while it lasted. Cheers............

Dave

Thanks for the report Dave - how long do the Yellowfin hang around for and do they like warmer water than Bluefin?

I've been out a couple of times for zeros so far this season. Went out off JB on Saturday and everything looked fantastic - but no fish! Was a great day to out on the water though.

Cheers

Brett

Fished a little to the south of you and could here some good catches of bigger fin a little further offshore than us. We were 50 km offshore and most of the boats were another 30k past us ( to much for my 5m rib).

We did find big schools of pilchards feeding on krill and pushing north. There were even some devil rays feeding among them, a close relative to the manta ray. My daughter jumped in and got a few pics before they moved down to deepwater.

I'm looking forward to heading up to the bay to explore the area at some time soon and good to find someone from the area.

Jon

Hi Brett, the fin should hang around for the rest of winter and into the start of summer. They have been absent in numbers for a few years, so fingers crossed they stay around. I think yellowfin will tolerate warmer water than the bluefin but they do mix in together.

Hi MV Sunray, if I'm fishing to the north of the Bay I use the regional boat ramp at hanging rock. If to the south, and the tides are right there is a good ramp at Mossy point, but the river is very shallow at the mouth and can be a pain to get the boat back on the trailer when the current is running hard.

G'day Jon, once again the fishing has been a little better off Bermi and yes they are a long way off shore. We were out to the 150.42E yesterday and it's a long run home. If your coming up keep in touch and I can give you the heads up or even meet up out there is the planets aline. Cheers............

Dave

The water was green and cold out to the shelf. As we got to the 500 fathom mark it started to warm and clean up. Out around the 1000 fathom mark it got to a little over 20deg and a nice blue, but lifeless. Current was raging to the south about 3knts. Around the 500 fathom mark is where most fish have been getting caught...............

Dave

Did you pass any of the big schools of pilchards yesterday, we've been finding most inside the shelf. We were in the water around Montague untill just after sunset looking for paper nautilus ( only found empty shells )

Jon

Hi Jon,

No bait sighted at all, the area was just dead. A big turn around from a couple of days earlier......... I guess you have got to have the bad days to appreciated the good. yeah right!!

What are paper nautilus?

Thanks for that, never heard of them before. cheers...........

Dave

They turn up with each year and the seals and kings soon chomp through them. So far I've just missed out in finding live ones to photograph.

Jon