Small stream trout

Lately I have put luderick on the back burner as I was getting itchy to chase some trout. As luck would have it and some info from DPI I was able to recon some small streams open all year round. First trip we saw a few but could not entice a take. On the second trip I came up tight on this spunky little bow on a Sawyers killer bug I tied! Happy days and only 90 minutes from home and there's still another dozen streams to recon yet....11eb2c91da4c7678880c4e487d46943a.jpga584756e8555c06f12913b1ac77c9ac6.jpg7cede720f7cd1ff1eac3d97b2d2bed03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No did not measure as I like a quick release so as not to stress trout! Estimate it went 25cm give or take my mate got one of around 35cm in that same hole! We are not sure of numbers in this creek so we practised catch and release if we find there are significant numbers one or two may be destined for the smoker in future!

cheers mate will look into it as we havnt had much luck in new England yet..caught heaps of small fish in gummi..little manning..barrington and a few others closer to us but would like to find sme better streams for quality,,,rick

pm sent

• 3 weeks later...

Ah - I know that area well after a fair bit of exploration myself several years ago. The trout populations are very slim in the little creeks that host them. The catchment of each is also very limited so it doesn't take much to dent the populations. Only one of the streams sees any stocking (not regularly) and the others are self sustaining which has always surprised me. Definitely a catch and release area to be protected.

Can I ask where home is? Near Sydney by any chance? I'm keen to find some streams where I can dust off my old brook fishing gear, but no idea where to start!

I was fishing the southern highlands. There's the Wollondilly river below the junction of the Tarlo and its associated feeder creeks Goodmans Ford is a great starting point and there is a great little creek just downstream of the camp ground. There should still be a few bows in the system after the rain trying to have a naughty! Go get em!

The Wollondilly is a fairly big river mate long deep pools and freestone runs. The little creeks that feed it are smaller. I would hit the Wollondilly very soon before it gets too warm and the bows drop back down which they may already have. There's been a few runs up there this year between the rains. Good luck at TCD and yes you can fish the small dam they bite freely in there but only smaller fish. It's usually the domain for the local kids learning and those that fail in the main dam! It was stocked to allow the kids to learn apparently was not supposed to be but was!