Beach Fishing Help

shane2150

Hello,

I have been looking to get a beach fishing rod and reel but not quite sure where to start. I want to use it for both bait and lure fishing but mainly bait at this stage. I would like to get a shimano reel as i have one now and quite happy with it. I don't really have a target species as such just more something that is versatile.

any help that someone can offer would be great

thanks.

Hi mate,

What's your range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Mate

do you mean price range? If so $350 - $400 something around that give or take I would like something that is good quality that i wont need or want to replace for a while.

Something in the 5-8kg range and 12 foot matched with around a 5000 size reel with 30lb braid would be a good start for bait fishing and you could throw metals for tailor and salmon. This outfit will handle larger salmon and tailor along with small to medium jewies and not get too destroyed by the assortment of rays that are always around. It will be slight overkill for the bream and whiting. A 9 to 11 foot rod in a similar line class or a touch lighter with a 4000 or 5000 reel and 15-20lb braid would be more suited for the bream and whiting and while still managing with tailor and salmon. It will be more comfortable for continual lure fishing but might not have the same cast range or be as good at keeping your line above the shorebreak when bait fishing. It will also battle more with larger baits, sinkers and sting rays.

The old series of Shimano Aerowave Graphite and Aerowave Composite rods were great value. Im not sure what the blanks in the new series are like but the new ones have K-series guides which is a massive plus. One of these rods or a rod out of the Penn Prevail range matched with a Shimano Sustain or stradic in the appropriate size would fit your budget. I would recommend one of these higher speed reels for beach fishing and spinning. If you want to go up a little bit in price for rods you could look at the Shimano Revolution Coastal Range or Daiwa Sensor Surf. I would suggest going to a shop that stocks these rods and talking to the shop assistant and seeing which one suits you better from an action and balance point of view