Micro Jigging Reel

recurve

Hi all,

Kingfish Season is coming up fast. I am still loving snapper but looking forward to Kingy time. This year I have decided to do away with bait, live baits, down riggers etc. I am going to try a year of discipline and only target Kingfish using Jigging Techniques, in particular Slow Jigging.

Maybe I will use livies now and again?? I am not that disciplined. But I gave up smoking so I have hope.

The Rod I have chosen (Yet to buy) is the Gomoku Black which is a PE 2-4 I have a Blue paired with a Stradic Ci4 4000 and love it but don't feel it is strong enough to chase Kings over reef and pinnacles.

So I had my heart set on a Overhead set up. Never fished overhead before. But alas, I am a right handed left winder. All the Overheads come in right wind.Well all the overheads from Daiwa and Shimano that a) Fit on the Gomoku, B) Have the right 6:1 Ratio c) Have the 12kg + Drag I am looking for.

I was taught from a young chap that as a right hander my power is in my right arm so I should wind with my left. Been doing it this way since I was knee hi so I can't go back. Right hand reels for me are messed up.

So now I am thinking I have to go for a Spin set up. Looking at the Stradic 5000 or the Saragosa 5000. Neither have the drag I am looking for but I don't want to go too heavy as want to keep the balance nice. Leaning towards the Stradic as light and has 11kg of drag as opposed to the Saragosa which is similar spec but very heavy.

Anyone know of any lightweight overheads that come in left wind that would be good for kings or a better option than the Stradic 5000.

Appreciate your insight. :thumbup:

Left hand overhead reels are quite popular overseas. They do exist in Australia as well, though not many. Just google " left hand jigging reel au " if you are still interested in them, and check the what suit your budget and drag requirement.

Sent from my couch using Tapatalk

Avet do left handed jigging reels. Check out bustedfishing.com

Look at the 5 SXJ. Should be around $330

Edit:

The 5 SXJ might be a little low drag wise for you so the raptor editions might be better. Look at the Avet 5 SXJ 6/4 raptor

Or avet mxj 6/4 raptor. The narrow models would be more suited for jigging

Edited by foulhooked

Avet do left handed jigging reels. Check out bustedfishing.com

Look at the 5 SXJ. Should be around $330

Edit:

The 5 SXJ might be a little low drag wise for you so the raptor editions might be better. Look at the Avet 5 SXJ 6/4 raptor

Or avet mxj 6/4 raptor. The narrow models would be more suited for jigging

Thanks mate, will check this out. Have not made the purchase yet. Not familiar with this brand but very open to knew fishing brands.

• 1 month later...
On 22/09/2016 at 1:58 PM, recurve said:

Thanks mate, will check this out. Have not made the purchase yet. Not familiar with this brand but very open to knew fishing brands.

Recurve any luck on the setup yet?

I had a similar desire on a slightly smaller budget...One of our fellow members Chao, gave me a little advice on an entry level setup and have just acquired a Gomoku black paired with a Spheros5000SW... Looking forward to giving it a belting on the weekend!

4 hours ago, jackiean said:

I just bought myself a micro jigging setup for the coming kingie season! also used for snapper etc,Im using the Storm Adajo PE 3 matched with a overhead daiwa saltiga 15H, still havnt used it yet but keen as

I really hope for the coin you shelled out for that setup you find yourself a few monster Hoods this season Jackie!

6 hours ago, night_rider said:

Recurve any luck on the setup yet?

I had a similar desire on a slightly smaller budget...One of our fellow members Chao, gave me a little advice on an entry level setup and have just acquired a Gomoku black paired with a Spheros5000SW... Looking forward to giving it a belting on the weekend!

I have the set up now but not hooked anything on it. Got an overhead Gomoku Black with a Diawa Lexa Left Hand Reel and 30 Pound Daiwa Jigging braid. Have been out hunting twice with it but Kings have not shown up. Happy with the set up. Just need to find the monster.

On 11/4/2016 at 1:18 PM, night_rider said:

I really hope for the coin you shelled out for that setup you find yourself a few monster Hoods this season Jackie!

I hope so too! I've only just recently acquired a 6m boat and this will be my first kingfish season, so there is A LOT for me to still learn such as, kingfish locations, baiting, live baiting, jigging all the nitty gritty stuff. I've only ever hooked up to one 83cm Kingfish last season on a charter, so im hoping for the best! thanks night_rider

22 hours ago, willy1818 said:

Hi

with the gomoku rods, they all have a max jig weight but no min. Is there a min weight or do they work with all weight jigs up to the max?

Thanks 

Michael

I don't think they have a min weight... i was using 20-40g lures on my Gomoku which was rated at max 300g and it still performed smoothly, hope this helps

1 hour ago, jackiean said:

I don't think they have a min weight... i was using 20-40g lures on my Gomoku which was rated at max 300g and it still performed smoothly, hope this helps

Ok, so I could buy a PE2 rated rod and fish anything up to the max weight, sounds very versatile.

Thanks

23 hours ago, willy1818 said:

Ok, so I could buy a PE2 rated rod and fish anything up to the max weight, sounds very versatile.

Thanks

Yep! thats what i've been doing and so far has been performing very well especially with the slow jigs

The lighter rating the rod the better action it will impart on the lighter jigs. I can use a 45g jig on the black but i get much better action from the blue on this size and imagine the red and green would be even better. I find 60g + is better on the Black and 80g - 100g feels nice. Have not gone heavier yet as not needed to.