The one that got away

Drought Breaker

Gday raiders

Was out fishing of Swansea Heads on Saturday with my trusty Barra raider loaded with 20lb braid and leader. Dropped a pillie down and few minutes later the drag was screaming and I was finally on to a decent fish. He ran for about 100m and I had him turned and buggered.

Had around 10m of line to go and could see fish outline (looked and felt like a kingie around 1 metre mark) when out of the blue a dark outline smashed my hooked fish. Though it was a shark and after a fight brought the bugger to the surface to reveal a bloody big seal. He was not letting go of the hooked fish and after contemplating giving him a whack with my paddle decided to cut my line and watch him laugh and swim away.

Thats fishing

Unlucky mate! Seals are renown for stealing fish! I would have like to see him swallow a meter kingy though! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

First time its happened to me mate. Have caught a lot of salmon around the 60cm around Swansea and it was a different feel. Heavier and faster. Have only caught rat kings also in past.

When I get sealed I let my line slack untill the seal starts flinging the fish in the air tearing it apart, it's then that I lock up and reel as fast as possible. Most of the time I can get my lure and fish back.

Jon

Bad luck on losing the fish! Bet you thought you finally had that first monster kingy in safe and sound!

Still, an awesome experience having your first encounter with a seal I can imagine. Must have been pretty cool.

mate I see the seals often and get a real buzz out of seeing them swim around. Not overly impressed when they pinch my fish but.

The last time we were in Tuross Head we saw a seal swimming upstream in the Tuross river. We passed him near the entrance to Borang Lake, and headed up to the island near the Princes Hwy. When we headed back we found he had stopped there too! Very cool!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk