Newbie here.

MaoriArcher

I have the basic equipment, Kmart Rod and Tacklebox, basic knowledge like how to do a Sinker,Swivel and hook set up and how to hook some pilchards up and cast but just not sure where and when to fish around Sydney, I live close to the Georges river but I've heard heaps of people say they don't want to eat from there because it's dirty. But I only wanna fish to eat. Any tips or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Guest123456789

Welcome to the site Maori.

I recommend not eating fish west if the harbour bridge because of the level of dioxins present. Below is a link to more information:

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/foodsafetyandyou/special-care-foods/sydney-harbour-seafood

The challenge for you will be not getting overwhelmed with information and advice as fishing is a complex activity. Here are three tips from me:

1. Find a fishing mentor. Either a friend, join a fishing club, make a connection through fishraider, there are many ways. Not only will you catch more fish quickly you will save a lot of money not buying the wrong gear.

2. Target a single species instead of trying to catching anything and everything each session. This way you limit the variables and don't need to take too much gear each trip.

3. Fish around dawn or dusk on warmer, less windy, clearer days. Most species will be feeding around this time.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Luke

Guest Guest123456789

How far is Port Hacking from you? I've never fished it but seen some good reports on here.

Edited by Guest123456789

Gymea baths at Port Hacking. With a running sinker rig and peeled prawns. Seen alot of trevally and bream caught there

Would you eat the fish from there ? It's mostly just the rivers I wanna avoid right ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Botany Bay has no issues with toxins or heavy metals that I am aware of, and I've fished it and the bay for 20 years now and have no issues keeping our catch. Port Hacking is also a very clean system, probably even better than the Georges due to the Royal National Park on the western shore.