Shimano sienna reels

Mr_clownface

I have two 2500 and 3000 and they are about 3yrs old now, both work well and I just pulled them apart and gave a clean and service and they almost like new again.

They will soon be relegated to my spare rods / reel (the rods I let mates use) as I will be upgrading my two most common rods to the next level up.

But I would rate the reels as punching well above there price range.

Thanks everyone for the info,I will buy one of these reels sounds like good value [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Sienna FE was released earlier this year. Some places may be still cleaning old stock at very attractive prices - which can give you even more value for money.

Good reel for the money. Just note though that the new model has 1+1 bearings. ie 1 for the shaft and one for the line roller. The old model had 4! They may not be such good value anymore.

Matt

This is where you get the weight savings, no? [emoji5]

I think the new Stradic has also lost 1 bearing in 2016.

The stradics have 6+1 , I don't think they have lost one. Also depends which stradic you are talking about. THere's a big difference between losing one when you have 7 to start with and losing 2 when you only had 4 to start with :)

To be honest, I would be reluctant to buy one now. I don't believe for a minute that number of bearings is what should should be the criteria for buying a reel, but my experience of maintaining reels has always been that the reels that last best are the ones that have a bearing on either side of the main gear on the axis of the handle and 2 on the main shaft. At worst 1 on the main shaft and a decent bushing system.

Matt

Guest Guest123456789

One gripe I have with shimano reels is how they're designed to be difficult to self service. Different size screws that are unnecessarily too small, then being made to take the clutch off to access the bearings. The cynic in me says it's a ploy to discourage servicing so customers just buy new gear.

One gripe I have with shimano reels is how they're designed to be difficult to self service. Different size screws that are unnecessarily too small, then being made to take the clutch off to access the bearings. The cynic in me says it's a ploy to discourage servicing so customers just buy new gear.

Buy them then don't touch them, ever. You'll be surprised how long they last with just a rinse and all the original seals left intact

Guest Guest123456789

Buy them then don't touch them, ever. You'll be surprised how long they last with just a rinse and all the original seals left intact

You've got to regularly service your reels to prevent sand and salt getting in the bearings and to keep moving parts well lubricated.

I'd have to disagree with this, I think they are probably the easiest reels to maintain. They don't have any hex heads and the clutch mechanism is in one piece. You remove 3 screws and the whole assembly comes off. They even have writing on it to tell you not to lubricate. The only one I've had trouble with is the ci4+ which needs a tiny screwdriver to remove the clicker mechanism, but youtube sorts that in about 2 minutes. Great reels to service, once you've done a couple they are all the same pretty much.

Matt

Guest Guest123456789

I'd have to disagree with this, I think they are probably the easiest reels to maintain. They don't have any hex heads and the clutch mechanism is in one piece. You remove 3 screws and the whole assembly comes off. They even have writing on it to tell you not to lubricate. The only one I've had trouble with is the ci4+ which needs a tiny screwdriver to remove the clicker mechanism, but youtube sorts that in about 2 minutes. Great reels to service, once you've done a couple they are all the same pretty much.

Matt

I disagree also. If you have to watch a YouTube video to learn how to remove a component that's proof the reels are designed to be difficult to service.

That said it's not just shimano guilty of the offence the same can be said for Daiwa and Penn IMO.

I disagree also. If you have to watch a YouTube video to learn how to remove a component that's proof the reels are designed to be difficult to service.

That said it's not just shimano guilty of the offence the same can be said for Daiwa and Penn IMO.

You may be right, but I think it sounds a bit like conspiracy theory stuff :) I wouldn't want to discourage people from having a go at servicing these if they have a bit of manual ability, it's pretty time consuming and expensive to send these back to Shimano for servicing and it's pretty hard to find local tackle shops these days that will do it. Sad but true.

Matt

Guest Guest123456789

You may be right, but I think it sounds a bit like conspiracy theory stuff :) I wouldn't want to discourage people from having a go at servicing these if they have a bit of manual ability, it's pretty time consuming and expensive to send these back to Shimano for servicing and it's pretty hard to find local tackle shops these days that will do it. Sad but true.

Matt

Absolutely, my local tackle shop said they're too busy now to service reels. it is a good thing to service your own reels I love it, just wish the design was changed so you don't need the dexterity of Charlie Teo to disassemble/reassemble.

It's not a conspiracy, I learnt about planned obsolescence at uni. You have to remember on of the biggest audiences are tackle shops, and they hate products that last forever. Next time you're at a tackle shop tell the guy you're thinking of buying an Alvey reel and watch how fast he steers you towards a spinning reel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence