Help with squidding in Sydney Harbour

The Rev

Hi Fellow Raiders

This Season I have set myself the goal of catching some bigger kings in Sydney Harbour. I am wanting to get a few over the magical 1metre mark if possible and know that from all I have read - using live squid as the bait is key. I have caught stacks of rat kings with the occasional legal one being hooked. Biggest has been 74cm.

So Friday I went out for my first real targeted trip in Sydney Harbour to try and catch some squid then see if I could hook a King. I know that the season is early but have heard reports that there are kings around.

After 2 1/2 hours of squidding we came up donuts! Not one touch. I have caught them on and off in small numbers in past years but want to master the dark art of catching squid this year so that I can get amongst the kings.

Any tips would be appreciated :-) I fish out of a fairly new Renegade 420 Quintrex with 40hp Suzuki on the back that is all set up with live bait tank and have an electric motor on the front to help with moving around and spot locking when lure casting.

Cheers

The Rev

I've just got a new renagade 460 and am struggling with the same thing tbh. Went out like you on Friday and caught FA as well on the squid front. So I'll be watching for the replays as well [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Michael.P

The squid have been plentiful if you persevere and try several spots till you locate them. Tho finding the kings to feed them to this last 4-8weeks has be harder than finding the squid.

This!!!

I've had no trouble getting squid, but its been hard to convert!

Guest Guest123456789

When I get desperate out comes the squid spike with a freshly killed yakka through it. Under a float with drag tight enough to spike the squid. You can keep throwing the jigs around at the same time.

Mate, head down to Clontarf beach around the pool and east end of the beach and the squid are plentiful. Around dusk the squid are in large quantities and with the use of a torch or fluorescent squid jig your sure to catch a bag full.

thanks - I'll give it a go

Cheers

The Rev

• 3 weeks later...

I went for a squid last 2 nights got nothing. Funny thing was id watch them follow my jig all the way, and the old lift 2 or 3 times n let the jig sink got hardly any attention. The only technique that worked is when i brought the jig in as fast as possible like spinning for salmon. Id feel them hit the jig w their candles on this retrieve but they never get caught. 

1st night i tried for just under a hour. Next night about 10mins and they disappeared and the yakkas turned up. So frustrating! !!! 

Just a couple of suggestions with squiding- if you dont get squid within 5 minutes-move- the harbour is packed with them but they are either biting or not- so keep moving till you find a patch that are hitting- also vary your depth. There are a lot of really good squid areas in 30-60 ft of water eg around the spit, nth head, etc- look at your sounder and find the kelp beds. Sometimes i get a lot more there than in the traditional shallows. For that sort of depth use a paternoster rig and bounce the sinker on the bottom and the jig about a meter off the sinker. The deeper areas work really well once the sun is up.