Raiders please read this

Fab1

Hi guys,I wanted to bring to your attention how a simple thing like a fatigued R clip can result in a trailer being disconnected from the tow vehicle which my brother in-law Stuart just experienced upon returning from a trip away with the family.

Here are 2 R clips a brand new one from my collection and Stuarts one from his drawbar which came out of his receiver that attaches to the pin.post-20199-0-01646000-1475906072_thumb.jpgNotice the new one I'm pointing too is nice and closed in comparison with Stuarts one which is substantially more open.

Here is Stuarts pin,notice the positioning of the hole for the R clip and the bend in the pin as these will come into play later when I demonstrate how I think he lost his trailer.post-20199-0-38814700-1475906273_thumb.jpg

Here is his tow bar assembly mounted in my vice.post-20199-0-81296800-1475906367_thumb.jpg

Watch what happens to the hole in the pin and the bend when it is installed.post-20199-0-85809200-1475906438_thumb.jpgNotice the direction of the hole?It's vertical.Notice the direction of the bend in the pin?It is pointing down acting as a counter balance.

Here I'm installing Stuarts original R clip.post-20199-0-96161300-1475906667_thumb.jpgNotice the direction of the hole?It's now horizontal,notice the direction of the bend?its now horizontal also.

Watch what happens when I let go.post-20199-0-26264100-1475906796_thumb.jpgBoth the hole and the bend in the pin are in the vertical position due to that bend in the pin acting as a counter balance.No matter how many times you spin it around the weight in the bend of the pin will act as a fulcrum and end up with both the hole and bend in the vertical position.

Now let's have a look at a side view.post-20199-0-65003500-1475907008_thumb.jpgHave a good look at that R clip.It is raft loose it isn't funny and the belly of the pin is pointing down.A few bumps will have that clip off in no time.

Another look.post-20199-0-38736200-1475907160_thumb.jpg

Let's say now the R clip had fallen off after hitting bumps during your journey.You are now left with this.post-20199-0-40761400-1475907350_thumb.jpgFrom here all it takes is some more bumps and rattled and that pin will work it's way out and you will have a disconnection between your vehicle and trailer,it's that simple.

The fix for this if you really want to continue using the r clips is get yourself a new one and make absolutely certain that it is in stalled with the bend in the pin facing down and the belly of the at clip facing up as pictured.post-20199-0-85405800-1475907685_thumb.jpgBetter yet install a small pad lock through the hike or get yourself one of the many locking hitch pins on the market.

I'm 100% certain that this failure occurred like this and Stuart being a builder and removing the drawbar from his vehicle on a daily basis had led to the R clip fatiguing not being able to return to it's original shape.

This could if led to serious injury or death and he is lucky it happened at slow speed in a suburban street.

Let this be a lesson to all of us how a simple over looked thing like a R clip could lead to disaster.

It sure was enjoyable to me working out what may have caused this to occur.

Thanks for reading guys.

Cheers.

• Like 3

Thanks Fab great read.

Also worth mentioning the importance of the safety chain in the event of de-coupling. I was only recently told (during trailer rego check) that all trailers must have load rated D shackles connecting the safety chain to the tow bar. They are recognised by the bright yellow pins and have the load rating stamped on the side of the shackle. Make sure the load rating high covers the boat AND trailer. I have a 2 tonne for my 580 breeze and dual axle trailer.

post-36003-0-89346000-1475920451_thumb.jpeg

Thanks For Sharing Fabian, definitely worth checking that's for sure I cop a lot of criticism when I take my boat out cause I check everything 3 times but I don't care how long it takes, as long as its safety first, I am glad for your brother in laws sake no one got killed.

Regards,

Nathan

Thanks Fab great read.

Also worth mentioning the importance of the safety chain in the event of de-coupling. I was only recently told (during trailer rego check) that all trailers must have load rated D shackles connecting the safety chain to the tow bar. They are recognised by the bright yellow pins and have the load rating stamped on the side of the shackle. Make sure the load rating high covers the boat AND trailer. I have a 2 tonne for my 580 breeze and dual axle trailer.

Yep, I saw this the other day also, Keep about 2 on the trailer and 2 spare in the tow vehicle also, also worth mentioning the tow ball and the coupling also need to have load ratings clearly stamped on them I believe, mine are very old and I will look at replacing to be sure I am compliant.

Regards,

Nathan

Thanks stewy for pining this post.Thanks to the guys that replied as this may seem like a post about painting by numbers but something as simple as that R clip can save yours or some other innocent lives some day.

Thank again.

• 10 months later...
Guest Guest123456789

Thanks Fab I'll go check it didn't even think if this. I had a j clip fail on the first  roller from salt water and getting hit by the bow of the boat. My replacement from a super cheap automotive shop was thicker and I covered it in marine grease. I also bent it so it can't fall out. I'll do the same for tow bar clip.

Edited by Guest123456789
Typo

On 01/09/2017 at 9:50 AM, Brainfish said:

Thanks for that . Awesome.  Ill check mine out.

Your welcome.

On 01/09/2017 at 9:00 PM, Regan said:

wow, easto loose a trailer over something so simple

Exactly.

On 02/09/2017 at 7:10 AM, Noo2OzFish said:

Great post Fab

Thanks.

On 02/09/2017 at 2:55 PM, ARC H said:

good post

cheers

Thanks.

7 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Thanks Fab I'll go check it didn't even think if this. I had a j clip fail on the first  roller from salt water and getting hit by the bow of the boat. My replacement from a super cheap automotive shop was thicker and I covered it in marine grease. I also bent it so it can't fall out. I'll do the same for tow bar clip.

You can use stainless split pins too if you like on those rollers.

7 hours ago, Great_White said:

Great Article you have put together there Fab1,

I will be passing this on to my mates here in SA ....

So, your little "Help File" goes WEST .... and will help others interstate.

Thanks

Great_White

Thanks mate I'm glad it helps.

This is just another example of why Fish Raiders is a source of information to so many. Members thinking to share their experiences with the rest of us . This is an area I would not thought of checking Fab1 took a great deal of time to create this report so thank you

2 hours ago, Geoffrey J said:

This is just another example of why Fish Raiders is a source of information to so many. Members thinking to share their experiences with the rest of us . This is an area I would not thought of checking Fab1 took a great deal of time to create this report so thank you

Anytime mate.

Great Advice. As others have mentioned who would have thought. I have the locking type pin fitted to my bar. Not because I thought the pin was a problem, but more for making it a bit harder for thieves to knock off the whole hitch etc. I have a tow ball lock as well. Didn't think it was much use having a tow ball lock and an easily removed pin on the draw bar. Not totally theft proof if some lowlife wants to steal your boat, but in an attempt to hopefully, make it a bit more difficult for them to do so.   

13 hours ago, Flyman said:

Great Advice. As others have mentioned who would have thought. I have the locking type pin fitted to my bar. Not because I thought the pin was a problem, but more for making it a bit harder for thieves to knock off the whole hitch etc. I have a tow ball lock as well. Didn't think it was much use having a tow ball lock and an easily removed pin on the draw bar. Not totally theft proof if some lowlife wants to steal your boat, but in an attempt to hopefully, make it a bit more difficult for them to do so.   

Thanks.The Hitch pin and tow ball lock become useless when a thief unbolts the 2 coupling bolts removing it and refitting their own coupler then hitching to their car and driving off.

I can imagine coming back to your car after a great days fishing to see the trailer gone and only a coupling attached to the towball with its lock still intact isn't the best feeling in the world.

For that little bit more peace of mind I weld all the nuts on  my towbar/s and coupling to make it a little harder for them.

These tips are good for bullbars, spotlights,racks etc that you don't want to go walkabout.

13 hours ago, Flyman said: