what fish is this? sock puppet fish?(Lizardfish)

HenryR

Question

Somebody know what this is? It came came from Middle Harbour, but I've caught them in Port Hacking as well.

Incidentally, the same day, I hooked what I guess was my first kingfish. I'll never really know for sure if it was a kingfish because it ripped 30/40m or line off at an ever accelerating pace before the leader scratched something and parted. Amusing, just. Hopefully I'm less outclassed by the next one I hook!

post-38388-0-83168800-1476135405_thumb.jpg

post-38388-0-18794700-1476135423_thumb.jpg

12 answers to this question

This fish comes up frequently and is repeatably identified poorly.

"lizardfish " is a common name for many species but most importantly a family of fishes.

Synodontidae - Lizardfishes

To simply label a fish as a lizard fish is not accurate or specific. It would be like settling for" Cod" as an identification.

Synodontidae consists of 8

species and I believe this fish is a Largescale Saury,

Saurida undosquamis

Though there are multiple other common names including Brushtooth Lizardfish, Checkered Lizardfish, Large Scale Grinner, Large-scaled Grinner.

Can we please include a Latin name with identification suggestion please so we have common ground to debate where the identification is in question.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Edited by NaClH2OK9

This fish comes up frequently and is repeatably identified poorly.

"lizardfish " is a common name for many species but most importantly a family of fishes.

Synodontidae - Lizardfishes

To simply label a fish as a lizard fish is not accurate or specific. It would be like settling for" Cod" as an identification.

Synodontidae consists of 8

species and I believe this fish is a Largescale Saury,

Saurida undosquamis

Though there are multiple other common names including Brushtooth Lizardfish, Checkered Lizardfish, Large Scale Grinner, Large-scaled Grinner.

Can we please include a Latin name with identification suggestion please so we have common ground to debate where the identification is in question.

As I had trouble identifying the toothy critter I caught in the Hacking, so will others.

The Australian Museum staff also have some difficulty as well, as this family is not well studied. The staff need a whole unscaled fish for an I.D.

As I had trouble identifying the toothy critter I caught in the Hacking, so will others.

The Australian Museum staff also have some difficulty as well, as this family is not well studied. The staff need a whole unscaled fish for an I.D.

Yowie. That wasn't my point mate.

I was trying to get across that if someone proposes an identification they should do it with the inclusion of the Latin name.

That way others in the group can be accurate when assessing and agreeing or disagreeing with the identification.

Common names frequently change dependent on location or the reference material used and the same common name can be used for multiple species.

We're all smart enough to know that a flathead is not just a flathead the same goes for other genus.

I stand by my belief in the ID of this fish but quite happy to discuss or be shown wrong if someone has a better idea and can call the species out with a full name.

Steve.

Yowie. That wasn't my point mate.

I was trying to get across that if someone proposes an identification they should do it with the inclusion of the Latin name.

That way others in the group can be accurate when assessing and agreeing or disagreeing with the identification.

Common names frequently change dependent on location or the reference material used and the same common name can be used for multiple species.

We're all smart enough to know that a flathead is not just a flathead the same goes for other genus.

I stand by my belief in the ID of this fish but quite happy to discuss or be shown wrong if someone has a better idea and can call the species out with a full name.

Steve.

Steve,

I'm not trying to stir up an argument, I'm only conveying what the staff at the Museum told me regarding I.D. (I have had several discussions with them), and that is that the Synodontidae family can be difficult to differentiate unless a whole specimen is presented for the 'expert' to determine.

Most species of other fish can be readily identified, but not all.

Dave.