BaitMate live tank

The Incredible Hull

Hi Raiders,

Thought I'd share this experience with you all.

I was looking for a live well made, many people recommended BaitMate.

After paying $565 upfront, 6 weeks later this is what I received:

Side wall is bent in:

post-18882-0-96150900-1476391412_thumb.jpg

Another pic:

post-18882-0-83588800-1476391422_thumb.jpg

I was not happy about it, called Rod. He doesn't have delivery insurance...

I'm not saying don't buy from this guy, cause I can honestly say the workman ship is top notch, but if you do purchase from him, get the insurance for delivery sorted out cause last thing you want is a "second hand" item which you paid full price for.

Hi Incredible Hull,

Wow, that's not good at all....especially knowing that it wasn't that cheap. :mad3:

What kind of packaging did Rod use ?

Maybe he should start putting "Fragile" stickers on the packaging.

These things also need to be bubble wrapped big time....after all, it is only aluminium.

Unfortunately, these courier companies aren't real careful.....very rough with packages. :nono:

I was just about to put in an order for one of these bait tanks from Bait Mate and now I'm worried.

Can I ask you, why did it take 6 weeks when it says 10 business days on the store site?

Edited by Sigma

Hey guys, Sigma,

The packaging was actually really good. He used hard cardboard for the long corner areas, and heaps and heaps of bubble wrap.

I thought it was going to come in a box, but its just what I described above, which in all fairness I think is sufficient.

As the guys stated above, its the couriers... I honestly don't know how they could possibly bend that! The aluminium is thick and solid, you couldn't bend it that easily, would need a sledge hammer to bend that... So as to how it happened I'm quite amazed. Stupid couriers *sigh*

It took 6 weeks I guess cause I did have a few custom requests. You can get anything changed which is very cool. I had height requirements, and plumbing requirements etc. And it takes about 1 week to send via Aust Post. You can ask for a tracking number too.

Rod tells me to take it to a panel beater to get it fixed, at my own cost...

Suss out the insurance guys for peace of mind.

Hey guys, Sigma,

The packaging was actually really good. He used hard cardboard for the long corner areas, and heaps and heaps of bubble wrap.

I thought it was going to come in a box, but its just what I described above, which in all fairness I think is sufficient.

As the guys stated above, its the couriers... I honestly don't know how they could possibly bend that! The aluminium is thick and solid, you couldn't bend it that easily, would need a sledge hammer to bend that... So as to how it happened I'm quite amazed. Stupid couriers *sigh*

It took 6 weeks I guess cause I did have a few custom requests. You can get anything changed which is very cool. I had height requirements, and plumbing requirements etc. And it takes about 1 week to send via Aust Post. You can ask for a tracking number too.

Rod tells me to take it to a panel beater to get it fixed, at my own cost...

Suss out the insurance guys for peace of mind.

Maybe try our sponsors :) DM Marine - they make great live wells and I am sure he could help with repair ;)

Wow! Eye opener. I'm In the market for one of these right. Was looking at the pro wave range too but both are VERY expensive. Do the sponsors do something similar at a discounted price for forum members??

My word they do have a look at the http://www.dmmarineservices.com.au/ webpage and also the gallery here inside fishraider

that really does not sound right if he organised the courier it should be his problem

if i send anything and it gets to the customer damaged i replace it at no cost to them

i think it falls under his duty off care to provide what you payed for in mint condition the fact he didn't pay for insurance is his problem not yours unless insurance was offered at a cost and you declined the offer

cheers gary

Hey Dave.

As I said I'm considering one of these at the moment. It will definitely save me cutting into the aluminum on my boat to install an alternative as I'm guessing you can just run piping straight in/out of the back of the tank.

Apart from the damage, how does the whole board/tank present? Is it heavy? I'm thinking of the slip in alternative that can slip into my current rod holders at the rear. Curious to know how heavy it will be on the back with the tank being full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Bill,

The tank empty its not that heavy, and with 30 litres of water that will be 30kg, total say 40kg ish?

When mounting I used an extra small piece of aluminium plate under it, for extra strength.

So for you, I would put small plates behind your rod holders, it should support it.

And yep all pipes are out the back so no need to cut up or put holes in the boat, and when you eventually upgrade boats you can take it with you.

Dave.

One thing to be aware of is if you have to sign, that you cross out the received in good condition bit.

Its a bit harder to do on the electronic ones, but the driver should be able to tell you where the

tick box is to indicate you are happy to receive the goods but you are not saying that they are in

good condition.

IF the courier gets upset with this then you can tell them to wait while you go and unpack and inspect

every piece of it and it will take you 30 minutes to do so. They won't like that either and then they

will usually show you the right bit to do. I usually say to them that I am signing that I have received the package,

and not that it is in good condition.

I bet if you ring up the courier company, they will tell you that you signed having received it in good condition,

so they aren't responsible, even though, if it was good when it was sent, and wasn't when it turned up,

someone damaged it.

The damage looks like it fell on to something with a corner, or something was dropped on it.

Edited by antonywardle

I've had a baitmate board on my boat for years and can't fault it.

As disappointing as this is I'm sure you'll be very happy with it in the long run. You could flatten that out yourself and touch up with a bit of white paint pretty easy. (not taking away from the fact that you shouldn't have do do that with a brand new purchase)

One thing to be aware of is if you have to sign, that you cross out the received in good condition bit.

Its a bit harder to do on the electronic ones, but the driver should be able to tell you where the

tick box is to indicate you are happy to receive the goods but you are not saying that they are in

good condition.

IF the courier gets upset with this then you can tell them to wait while you go and unpack and inspect

every piece of it and it will take you 30 minutes to do so. They won't like that either and then they

will usually show you the right bit to do. I usually say to them that I am signing that I have received the package,

and not that it is in good condition.

I bet if you ring up the courier company, they will tell you that you signed having received it in good condition,

so they aren't responsible, even though, if it was good when it was sent, and wasn't when it turned up,

someone damaged it.

The damage looks like it fell on to something with a corner, or something was dropped on it.

The tick box you are referring to is "Subject to Check".

Thanks for that, I couldn't remember what it was.

Most of the couriers that I have dealt with seem to be ok about it.

YMMV

as an aside, I've noticed that couriers are coming a bit later these days,

I guess because they are more likely to be able to get the delivery done

in one qo and they don't have the costs associated with returns and storage.

cheers

• 2 months later...

Hello Raiders,

Well, I decided to bite the bullet and get a Bait Mate Tank. 

I also got a custom made unit and to be honest, fairly dissapointed at this stage. I messaged him last Friday when I got the tank and still waiting for his response.....he might be on holidays.

I asked that the legs be at a certain gap, which he did but I also told him that I have two holes on each side from a ski rail that I had in place and i would like to cover these. I told him that I wanted the plumbing on the right side (looking at the bait tank from the front of the tank). Well, I got the unit and it had a few scratches which I could live with but then I notice that the plumbing was on the opposite side. The gap between the legs was good but it only covered one hole on each side (legs weren't deep enough). I ended up covering the holes with basin tap hole covers that I bought from Bunnings.

As I didn't want to pay anymore money to ship it back, I had to do a number of mods to fit it which in turn cost me more $$$$. 

It's finally finished and here are some pics of the work....

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Pic 4.jpg

Pic 5.jpg

Pic 6.jpg

Pic.jpg

Pic 0.jpg

1 hour ago, Sigma said:

Hello Raiders,

Well, I decided to bite the bullet and get a Bait Mate Tank. 

I also got a custom made unit and to be honest, fairly dissapointed at this stage. I messaged him last Friday when I got the tank and still waiting for his response.....he might be on holidays.

I asked that the legs be at a certain gap, which he did but I also told him that I have two holes on each side from a ski rail that I had in place and i would like to cover these. I told him that I wanted the plumbing on the right side (looking at the bait tank from the front of the tank). Well, I got the unit and it had a few scratches which I could live with but then I notice that the plumbing was on the opposite side. The gap between the legs was good but it only covered one hole on each side (legs weren't deep enough). I ended up covering the holes with basin tap hole covers that I bought from Bunnings.

As I didn't want to pay anymore money to ship it back, I had to do a number of mods to fit it which in turn cost me more $$$$. 

It's finally finished and here are some pics of the work....

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Pic 4.jpg

Pic 5.jpg

Pic 6.jpg

Pic.jpg

Pic 0.jpg

You'd think with the coin you blokes pay for these things they'd be shipped to you as ordered and in pristine condition.I'd be ashamed of myself sending some of the things out that people receive after paying good money for them.

After all the hassle and $$$$ hope she serves you well mate.

Cheers .

Edited by Fab1

Also if your really worried about those holes a simple propane torch and aluminium brazing rod will make short work of them followed by a quick blending job on the paint.

Your already using tap plugs and rubber grommets work well also.

• 7 months later...