Fishing ban for Cronulla

dogbox

Sorry to be so long winded, but I thought no we need to know what is going on before we panic

-------------------

I've done a search in several places and found nothing.

I've read the Port Hacking Game Fishing facebook article and it appears to be speculation with nothing to support the comment, BUT it does ask you to personally make contact with your local member to air your thoughts and opinions.

I think hey are being precautionary as the government are discussing marine parks, but nothing to say it has anything to do with the Sydney area.

THIS IS THEIR FACEBOOK ARTICLE:

So ironic that today is National Gone Fishing Day. For those of you who want to keep fishing in NSW estuaries:

The NSW Government is currently assessing the area from Newcastle to Wollongong, and addressing the "threats that affect our use and enjoyment of the bioregion". Other areas north and south of this region will be assessed later.

It is apparent that reducing pollution, storm water runoff, microplastics and introduced pest species is in the too hard basket, and so recreational fisherman have become the easy target. There is no science behind the plans to reduce recreational fishing, it's just the easy way to be seen as trying to help the environment and keep the Greens onside.

This map is the suggested "lock-out" zone in Port Hacking. That's right - all of it!

In the next couple weeks, the NSW Government will decide which areas will be zoned new marine parks and banned to fishermen.

If you want to influence the process you have to contact your local member this week - preferably in person, else in writing, and let them know you oppose the lock outs. There are better alternatives to preserving our environment.

------------------

In June this year the below article was released by the NATURE CONSERVATION COUNCIL (obviously an arm of the Greens Party). I have read this article and I think it contains a lot of NON truths and exaggerations, like

"NSW National Parks Association CEO Kevin Evans said: “The results of the submission process reflect surveys and polls that have consistently shown more than 80% of the public, including recreational fishers, support marine parks and marine sanctuaries"

This may be true, but no recreational fisher would support a blanket ban from Newcastle to Wollongong.

http://www.nature.org.au/news/2016/06/5000-submissions-call-for-a-marine-park-for-sydney/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like the Greens are doing this and they have selected people for the survey . If this is going to be pass and knowing the government will do anything for a vote , there will be lot of boats for sale .

Maybe the government what to prevent us from hobbies where they not collecting a good revenue .

Should we all stay in Pub's all day instead of fishing there is a good tax on beer .

Thanks to our admin people we have a good forum and we should do something about this .

I fish 99% botany bay and port hacking if this come in place my boat will be for sale .

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by snapper_1

Unfortunately I dont share your optimism- with the whole Hawkesbury Bioregion Marine Park there are proposed bans coming through. The Greens, the animal justice folk, the surfies who think that fishos get in their way, the dive industry (especially these guys) all want to reduce or remove recreational fishing AND they all write letters! Rec fishos DONT. There will be no public protests , just a whole bunch of whining when we get locked out. Even when guys like the Shooters and Fishers explain clearly that they will vote against these lockouts- do the fishing community vote for them? NOPE . The tactics being used by the Sate Govt are the same every time - rumours of mass lockouts (like all of Port Hacking) surface and then when we are only stopped from fishing in 30% everyone goes phew! Thats a relief. This is what happened in the Solitary Islands Marine park and in Batemans Bay. Anyway well see what happens but either way fishos will get shafted.

Guest Guest123456789

Unfortunately I dont share your optimism- with the whole Hawkesbury Bioregion Marine Park there are proposed bans coming through. The Greens, the animal justice folk, the surfies who think that fishos get in their way, the dive industry (especially these guys) all want to reduce or remove recreational fishing AND they all write letters! Rec fishos DONT. There will be no public protests , just a whole bunch of whining when we get locked out. Even when guys like the Shooters and Fishers explain clearly that they will vote against these lockouts- do the fishing community vote for them? NOPE . The tactics being used by the Sate Govt are the same every time - rumours of mass lockouts (like all of Port Hacking) surface and then when we are only stopped from fishing in 30% everyone goes phew! Thats a relief. This is what happened in the Solitary Islands Marine park and in Batemans Bay. Anyway well see what happens but either way fishos will get shafted.

I take the optimistic outlook:

$11 Biliion to the economy annually recreational fishing

35000 jobs

5 million people fish

All it takes is for someone to organise us all to stop spending money on anything related to recreational fishing. The bans would be lifted in less than 3 months.

I am a little bit confused with all the light reading above.

Do they want a blanket ban from newcastle to wollongong meaning we cant fish in any of these areas. Or do they just want sanctuarys in key areas like how they have arranged port stephens.

I can see if they want small sanctuarys in key areas for the left wing hippys to be happy.

Yep lockouts proposed for anywhere the dive industry wants- Long Reef, La Perouse (Inside a Rec fishing Haven mind you), North Head just to name a few, its more than left wing hippies- as I said before my spot today, yours tommorrow. 

This proposal bans fishing from Kurnell to the end of the National Park, say Stanwell Park or there about. Others want to ban fishing in selected sites; the main thing is that these are proposals put to the government.

So what do you do? Write you local member, write the fishers and shooters who hold seats in the NSW senate, write the Premier and tell them what you think, tell them how great a family activity fishing is, the economic benefits it brings to the state, the electoral backlash if they ban recreational fishing in southern Sydney. Be polite and write.

Sitting on your bum and whining won't get us anywhere. The green fringe are in the pollies ears talking preference deals for fishing bans on a government that's on the nose. We need to tell the government that they would lose more than what they gain if they did this.

Cheers

Rob

Jiggy- 100% agree- ive writen my letters to all of the above , ive participated in every "consultation" but the vast majority sit round and look suprised when the Greens win- which unfortunately they will- Shooters and Fishers are trying hard but in my correspondence with Peter Johnson he is amazed at how unresponsive the fishing community is- including the folk who make money out of it! Oh well i suppose we will see soon.

56 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Jiggy- 100% agree- ive writen my letters to all of the above , ive participated in every "consultation" but the vast majority sit round and look suprised when the Greens win- which unfortunately they will- Shooters and Fishers are trying hard but in my correspondence with Peter Johnson he is amazed at how unresponsive the fishing community is- including the folk who make money out of it! Oh well i suppose we will see soon.

Paddy,

Can you please post/send me which members/government bodies you think would be the most appropriate to end letters to.

Thank you

Premier,Environment Minister(Speakman), Local Member, Primary Industries Minister (Blair)- you will only get blather back but its my understanding that they take much more notice of snail mail than anything else because for every peeed off letter writer their are 1000 who are equally peed off but for whatever reason will not write a letter

The Greens p#icks tried to stop nipper pumping at Maianbar many years ago - there are still millions of nippers there, plus a few in secret locations that I know of.

I have fished in Port Hacking for more than 55 years, and will keep fishing until I can't fish any more, regardless of what the green p#icks want. I keep enough fish for a feed, then head home.

3 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Premier,Environment Minister(Speakman), Local Member, Primary Industries Minister (Blair)- you will only get blather back but its my understanding that they take much more notice of snail mail than anything else because for every peeed off letter writer their are 1000 who are equally peed off but for whatever reason will not write a letter

Thanks Paddy,

This will be my next job when i can invent a minute in the office hopefully early next week.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm starting to question if this does go ahead given the results of the Orange  by election on the weekend. A safe Nats seat Orange is now a Fishers and Shooters party seat, so the locals have said stuff you to parties cosying up to the greens, amongst other things, and voted for the most anti green party you can get.

YAY!

I doubt if the Libs or Nats want to tempt fate in other seats come the next election with lockouts, so hopefully this goes away for now.

Cheers

Rob