Structure Scan and Transducer install

Sigma

Hello fellow Raiders,

Before I start drilling, i thought it would be best to seek for some good advice from all you experienced boaters/fishermen.

A couple of years ago, I purchased a Lowrance HDS7 Touch, 83/200 KHz transducer and an LSS2 Structure Scan transducer/skimmer.

Unfortunately, as an inexperienced boater, not reading the instructions properly (misunderstanding them) and not knowing about this great forum, I installed the transducers on the Port side of the boat instead of the starboard side. Combine this with not much knowledge on reading a chartplotter (as it was mt first one ever), I never realised that the readings were useless as the boat was creating too much wash and I couldn't pick up anything on the plotter until the boat was actually not moving.

After reading a number of articles on this forum, I have now learnt that you should install your transducers on the starboard side and away from turbulent water,

I tried to research some other websites as well as the Lowrance website itself. I looked at a number of pics on this and other sites as well as google images. Unfortunately, every boat i have seen on the shown pics, the boat had a flat bottom and was not ribbed like my Quintrex. From my understanding, these "ribs" can create turbulence and therefore my question to you all....from the pics attached, where exactly would you install my sonar transducer and where exactly would you install my structure scan transducer on my boat. I will be attaching some 20mm thick polyethelene chopping board across the back transom so that I don't stuff it up again (as I now need to block the holes on the port side).

I'm hoping someone out there can help.... 

LSS2 Structure Scan Transducer.jpg

Transducer.jpg

Transom 1.jpg

Transom 2.jpg

1 hour ago, locodave said:

YOU would be looking to the right of your blue skid. Right of the speedo on that flat edge. See if you can just sikaflex it for a trail run before you drill.

Thanks locodave,

Would you put one transducer next to the other or would you put the sonar on the 2nd flat spot like shown in pic.

Transom 1 update.jpg

I'd go with the two spots just like you show in your pic. 

I went with a large piece of chopping board in some aluminium U channel (welded to the transom) so it would work like a big rise and fall bracket but it was only ever needed launching at gunamatta. 

1 hour ago, NaClH2OK9 said:

I'd go with the two spots just like you show in your pic. 

I went with a large piece of chopping board in some aluminium U channel (welded to the transom) so it would work like a big rise and fall bracket but it was only ever needed launching at gunamatta. 

You don't think they're too far away from the centre of the boat....don't know, just asking.

Always presumed that they should be close as possible to the centre of the boat....maybe it doesn't have to be close to the centre? Like I said, when it comes to this stuff, I'm only a novice.

Put them where you have the arrows in the pic, transducer closest in then structure outside that, you might not have needed to move them from wherever they where, they may just have been set at the wrong depth, theirs another thread on this exact thing wouldn't be very far down if you scroll through the threads

Edited by rozza_b

4 hours ago, rozza_b said:

Put them where you have the arrows in the pic, transducer closest in then structure outside that, you might not have needed to move them from wherever they where, they may just have been set at the wrong depth, theirs another thread on this exact thing wouldn't be very far down if you scroll through the threads

Thanks rozza_b ☺

I will give it a go. I think I had to move it from the previous place cause I think the two transducers were too far apart in the first place. One transducer (LSS2) was near the bung behind the motor and the other transducer was sitting above the the other skid on the opposite side. i  think the settings were ok as I had it on auto, 

No worries Sigma and just to clear up what i meant around depth, i didn't mean depth on the sounder i was referring to the height the transducers are set at on the boat, if the transducer is set to high it wont read while you are traveling, ill find a link to the other thread, discusses the problem around setting the transducer correctly, i recently had to adjust mine to give me better readings while traveling as i used to loose bottum all the time once up and moving, hopefully you get it all sorted though :)

With the longer lss2 transducer I found my outboard leg interfered with the view on the port side.

I fixed my transducer directly under the hull of my last four boats inline with the engine, with the cable running at the back meaning the image needed to then be flipped in the menu.

I have no problems scanning out to 80m either side of the boat. It also picks up  well at high speed from that position.

Jon

Thanks JonD,

Just finished installing the transducers.

Just need to test it now and fingers crossed that it shows what yours shows...:-rolleyes

Transom finished 1.jpg

Transom finished 2.jpg

Edited by Sigma
displaying my number plate by accident
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The manual is pretty good and easy to follow. However I followed the manual to the letter with my install and my transducer works really well and I can be at speed with no issues. However my structure scan works really well on DOWN mode but LEFT & RIGHT is a mess. Wondering if I have done it wrong but I followed the manual to the letter and the diagrams.

I notice in the pics by the OP his structure Scan is lower down than mine. Could this be the issue? I was under the understanding that you only wanted it on the edge so clean water hit it. Sorry to crash in with my own agenda but this bugs me.

20161020_103742 (800x450).jpg

Recurve.  The right hand side of the lss looks slightly high so the left side must be out looking at the dead rise you have.  You've a bit of adjustment to play with though.  What do you mean by a mess ?  Are you getting a clean reading when drifting ? 

Is it a mess on both sides or just one.

Are you using the 800 or 455htz, use 455 unless in very shallow water travelling very slow.

Are you using the range it scans to the side in auto or manual, try working on a 3/1 ratio as a starting point, 10m deep manually set 30m each side etc.

Try with the boat moving slowly and raise the engine slightly as it may be picking up the engine to its port side ( which is why I fixed mine under the hull).

Jon

10 hours ago, JonD said:

Is it a mess on both sides or just one.

Are you using the 800 or 455htz, use 455 unless in very shallow water travelling very slow.

Are you using the range it scans to the side in auto or manual, try working on a 3/1 ratio as a starting point, 10m deep manually set 30m each side etc.

Try with the boat moving slowly and raise the engine slightly as it may be picking up the engine to its port side ( which is why I fixed mine under the hull).

Jon

Thanks guys,

I lowered it and it is definitely better. Was so sloppy and jostly on the water today i did not get a chance to really play. Tomorrow I am out again though. Thanks heaps for the advice. On the right track now.

• 5 years later...

The LSS2 electronics are about the same length and in the opposite end to the mount bracket, it will depend on your individual boat which works best, I believe it was made longer as many US boats weren't flat at the transom.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cfish said:

The LSS2 electronics are about the same length and in the opposite end to the mount bracket, it will depend on your individual boat which works best, I believe it was made longer as many US boats weren't flat at the transom.

So turn it around to get the electronics Closer to the boat away from the motor ? Cable at the rear ?