Salmon at North Head - 28 Oct 16

cwhittle

Hi

This is my first post so go easy. I've been waiting to have something worthwhile to report.

3 mates and I headed out yesterday to target Kingies. It was awesome, no boats (the weather forecast wasn't promising) and bait fish everywhere. We caught some slimies at the artificial reef off South Head and then trolled a livey and a skirt around South Head. Had no luck at South Head so we headed across to North Head. Plenty of activity on the sounder and some bait fish in close .We kept losing the slimies so we switched to the skirt and hard body only. We had a pretty good time of it with a couple of double hook ups and we caught 7 salmon all up (not Kingies un fortunately). They were all in the 50-60 range so all went back in. Great day!! Couple of grinning mates below.

Brooksie and Adam.jpg

Edited by cwhittle
Incorrect fish

Hi,

Sound like a lot of fun but I agree with The Rev. At least the ones in the picture anyway are Australian Salmon.... you could have kept them but they are not the best rated table fish.

Here is a picture of a Kingfish

king.jpg

And here is a Salmon for comparison

salmonWestAustralian.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Don't take your mistake to heart Chris as we all make them.Its easy for a novice to mistake a kingfish for a salmon as they are fairly similar.Glad you guys got out and had a blast as I was to chicken to go out due to the weather.Keep those reports coming mate.

Cheers.

13 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Don't take your mistake to heart Chris as we all make them.Its easy for a novice to mistake a kingfish for a salmon as they are fairly similar.Glad you guys got out and had a blast as I was to chicken to go out due to the weather.Keep those reports coming mate.

Cheers.

have to agree with Fab 1 nice report mate and some fine fish 

31 minutes ago, cwhittle said:

That is embarrassing! Have to confess I didn't look at this photo that carefully. There were definitely a couple a Kingies in there, but not those two. Apologies to all and can only blame my inexperience. Cheers Chris

Awesome!  glad you got a couple and had a great day.

Cheers

The Rev

Well done with your first report Chris. Welcome to Fishraider . You won't get any flack from people on here for wrongly identifying a species...most likely an offer of help, like the one from Jim. Salmon are great fun to catch. Keep up the good work mate. Tight lines. Big Neil.

17 hours ago, cwhittle said:

That is embarrassing! Have to confess I didn't look at this photo that carefully. There were definitely a couple a Kingies in there, but not those two. Apologies to all and can only blame my inexperience. Cheers Chris

Dont worry,  I posted a pic this week and hoped that someone would identify the fish for me.... They did. :-)

3 hours ago, Naize said:

Nice sambos! Were they still schooling at all?

Naize

There seemed to be plenty and there was bait jumping all over the place. In close around North Head and another patch just outside the heads. There was certainly something chasing them. We didn't pack any rod suitable for casting (lesson learned) otherwise I think we could have had a better crack around the bait schools. Hope that answers the question. Cheers Chris