Fish ID please (GURNARD PERCH)

Bloggsy

Question

12 answers to this question

AS the writing in the photo states, "it is a first-rate food fish".

My book of "hard to identify fish" indicates it could be Neosebastes panticus, a Gulf gurnard scorpionfish. Regardless, the fish is from the SCORPAENIDAE family, very poisonous dorsal spines, and most are very good eating.

11 minutes ago, Yowie said:

AS the writing in the photo states, "it is a first-rate food fish".

My book of "hard to identify fish" indicates it could be Neosebastes panticus, a Gulf gurnard scorpionfish. Regardless, the fish is from the SCORPAENIDAE family, very poisonous dorsal spines, and most are very good eating.

Howie I think it could be out of its area the Gulf Gurnard and it doesn't seem to have the spines or ridges on its head.

Happy to be wrong though. :)

Blackfish,

The book I use sometimes is Australian Sea Fishes, South of 30 degrees S (also use Australian Sea Fishes, North of 30 degrees S). Written by Neville Coleman, a scuba diver and associate of the Australian Museum.

I was looking at the description in the book, which indicates the fish is found from Victoria to the west (though as fishos we catch unusual fish in areas not specified they be caught) and the Gulf Gurnard has white, black and red colouration in the photo and physical description.

Just putting it up here as a possibility. (I have done quite a bit of fishing in my time, but this is one species I have not caught)

Not trying to detract from your I.D.

Another one of those harder than normal to I.D. fish. I spoke to a couple of people at the Australian Museum regarding the Lizardfish I caught early this year, and they are happy to I.D. unusual fish, but need the specimen to be frozen whole, not gutted or scaled, and taken to them as soon as possible.

Dave.

Edited by Yowie

Thanks Dave, when you put up that suggestion I googled it (because I've never heard of that critter) and found it on the Australian Museum site. I didn't think it looked like the fish in question, but hey I'm happy to be wrong so the fish is positively  ID'ed.

All good mate, met Neville Coleman a few times in the 80's and have a few stories but that another time.

Gordon.