Hobie Mirage drive 180

Lungfai76

Hi all,

Have any of the current hobie owners been lucky enough to see or handle the upcoming mirage drive 180?

I've only had my outback since March and after an up close encounter with a Hammerhead I haven't launched it since ?. However reading about the new drive system I'm tempted to start jarring my coffee money to upgrade the drive so I don't have to watch nervously as the bugger swam under the yak when I turned to avoid a head on collision.

Trung

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stephanb79

hey mate im going to put a deposit on an outback  today , i had a PA14 just sold it so ill let youknow when i get it and have ago

cant wait !!!  

ps where did you see the hammerhead ??

Edited by stephanb79

Bass Point coal loader, was fishing there and the hammer decided to steal the pelagic that was pulling me along. The momentum put me in a straight line towards the shark. Saw the head and went "oh hell no" Bloody violent creatures them buggers ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest stephanb79

Hey guys 

I got my 2017 outback last week I just finished putting the sounder on so I should give it a try this week end ..

ps and if you guys want to join my Facebook page team Kayokie we have I lot of mods on kayaks trailers and all sort of things including fishing .. 

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3671.JPG

• 1 month later...
On Tuesday, December 06, 2016 at 4:27 PM, stephanb79 said:

Hey guys 

I got my 2017 outback last week I just finished putting the sounder on so I should give it a try this week end ..

ps and if you guys want to join my Facebook page team Kayokie we have I lot of mods on kayaks trailers and all sort of things including fishing .. 

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3671.JPG

So, how is the new mirage drive 180 v1.0 ? Is it worth getting it?

1 hour ago, stephanb79 said:

Mate you have to get one I love mine so much easier with reverse 

Thanks mate.

Is the new one (180) - fully compatible with older Hobies?

Also, is there difference in top speed due to change of fin design?

That's great to hear about compatibility and sad - about upgrade.

Actually I expected that the new drive to be initially kept for the premium PA models -  like with the Vantage seat.

Just wondering how long they are going to keep the new drive only for 2017 yak models.

I thought you could use the new 180 mirage drive with older models? I was about to upgrade just the drive for my 2014 outback but given the cost of the drive itself I ended buying a new 2017 yak. I know the dealer said that new yak purchases would get priority over individual drive sales. 

12 hours ago, jtp said:

I thought you could use the new 180 mirage drive with older models? I was about to upgrade just the drive for my 2014 outback but given the cost of the drive itself I ended buying a new 2017 yak. I know the dealer said that new yak purchases would get priority over individual drive sales. 

So, what was the quoted/estimated price for new mirage drive 180?

On 11/01/2017 at 10:26 PM, jtp said:

I thought you could use the new 180 mirage drive with older models? I know the dealer said that new yak purchases would get priority over individual drive sales. 

180 drive fully backwards compatible.

The option of buying the drive as an upgrade is not yet available last I heard. Have not heard anything about pricing yet, what did your dealer say? I have been chatting with Hobie support and they have not been able to say a price yet.

I can't remember the exact price but it was somewhere around $1500. I have PMed you lungfai and savit the dealer details. From memory they said it would be available early 2017 around March. 

Cheers

Joe

Hi there i preordered back in sept last year and got my Hobie PA 14  miragedrive  180 in mid December 2016. Its awesome  vessel had to get  a trailer and ordered a Boonedox landing gear which is permanently  attached to the kayak for easy lauching. The new miragedrive  is quick and easy to peddle.

There is no upgrade. You have to buy a new  miragedrive. Its about us $1000. 

20161212_013339.jpg

Edited by podtrailler

On 16/01/2017 at 11:12 PM, podtrailler said:

There is no upgrade. You have to buy a new  miragedrive. Its about us $1000. 

Buying a new mirage drive is considered the upgrade for an old Hobie ?. Mike Miller head of parts and services for Hobie  America has roughly estimated cost for drive to be between 250-300 U.S. So 500-750 I assume for us Aussies. 

Now if only I could find someone who bought a 2017 Hobie and didn't like the 180 ?

• 2 weeks later...

I really should write up the tutorials to posting pics and what not. Keep meaning to but the kid distracts me all the time ?. Hopefully Donna doesn't bring out a fish whacker to get me in gear ?.

As for posting pics, if from the phone just go to your gallery and copy the photo, then come back to the post and paste, no need to use the choose file option.

Really would be nice if someone posts a video with 180 drive in action in waters that are not placid like the ones I have seen so far.