Please help me ID this fish from the rocks(Eastern Kelpfish)

Will1702

Question

Hi guys, 

I caught a whole heap of these fish off the rocks at long reef on the weekend and because I wasn't sure what they were, I ended up throwing them back in. Do any of you guys know what it is? 

Is it a rockfish of some sort? If so, do they have venomous spines? and are they edible?

Cheers 

14907017_10154147591388790_8794526474971407884_n.jpg

10 answers to this question

Eastern Kelpfish.

Have a look in Aquarium as they have come up a couple of times before.

Not poisonous, eating wise, not sure as I don't know anyone who has eaten one. Mind you to get one big enough to eat would be a challenge.

Edited by Blackfish

Have caught many over the years.

In my early days. I killed one, cut it open with the thought of eating it, and the smell was worse than a shit sandwich, so did not eat it. Would need chilli, garlic, onion to disguise the smell and taste.:lol:

I have caught heaps of them at Norah head and around Lion Island.

Pests like Red Rock Cod, I dont care what anyone says about how good they taste I hate red rock cod, there easy too and predictable too catch and I am very scared of touching them lol

Oh and wrasse are annoying lol

On 11/1/2016 at 9:50 PM, NaClH2OK9 said:

I know it looks scarey but Are you wearing an anti radiation suit to fish? 

Well, when you catch a small fish of the size like this - you'll be wondering what kind of food gave the growth boost like this <_<

On 11/1/2016 at 9:50 PM, NaClH2OK9 said:

I know it looks scarey but Are you wearing an anti radiation suit to fish? 

Steve i thought the same myself but wasn't so rude to mention!

My post was going to be along the lines of did ya catch it at the local nuclear reactor plant.

Will1702 ... Those things are spiky and do sting if handled incorrectly. Grab them from the head down and all spikes fold away. No need for gloves.

Don't eat them!

JD

haha thanks for the replies guys.

it was raining that day, hence the radiation suit :P

1 hour ago, Johndory said:

Steve i thought the same myself but wasn't so rude to mention!

My post was going to be along the lines of did ya catch it at the local nuclear reactor plant.

Will1702 ... Those things are spiky and do sting if handled incorrectly. Grab them from the head down and all spikes fold away. No need for gloves.

Don't eat them!

JD

sting as in, getting spiked? or as in venom?

Hi guys, I catch many of these guys as a bycatch for drummer, and yes, these little guys are edible. I sometimes keep the bigger ones as around my spots, they grow huge.  Surprisingly, they're not that bad if you chuck the fillets on the bbq or deep fry them.