Jewfish lures

Breamslayer87

Hi all, 

Long time user, first time poster. Would like to preface this post by saying that I scrolled back and saw a couple of small posts about this, but nothing quite comprehensive (comprehensive, not conclusive!). 

I wanted to engage you all in a conversation about lures for the mighty Jewfish. I wanted the conversation to revolve around types of lures, colours of lures, and times for lures. 

1. What type have people used to catch Jewfish? I have not caught a Jewfish yet, but I have been told that there are some lures that work better than others. I have attempted to use a few different variety:

- the type which is the long and thin variety (kind of like jerk shads)
- the type which is more fish-shaped (like Powerbait mullet)
- soft vibes (Transam, Fish Candy etc)

I have not yet used metals - does anyone have any opinions on using metals for Jewfish? How big? What kind of profile? Any colours, or just bright metal?

2. What colours of lures have people used? I've only ever used the whiter/lighter colours when it comes to the shads and fish-shaped ones. I've heard that things like pink/red eyes and dots on the side etc help, but what about any other colours or features?

And when it comes to the soft vibes, I've only used fluoro green, pink, and the more natural soft of browny/green colours. 

3. Lastly, how are people with luring for these magnificent beasts at night? We know Jewfish are meant to be somewhat nocturnal (again, doesn't mean you can't catch them during the day, that'd be a silly statement!). Would you have to use a lure with a glow feature? A small glowstick or light perhaps? Any change in colours?

Keen to hear some conversations guys, and as always, tight lines!

• 3 weeks later...

hey Breamslayer, that is a lot of questions ! I'll keep my reply simple. One lure. My go to for Jewies -

Z-Man jerk shad in 5' or 7', in blue and white or just plain white, with my current fav' being a 7' in blue and white. I do catch them on other things (paddle tails, soft vibes and occasionally slow pitch jigs) but mostly a straight soft plastic seems to work fine for me. Cheap enough to lose without hurting, a little bit snag resistant anyway, easy to throw around and easy to work - let them sink to the bottom and hop back, along the bottom, toward you. Too easy! I like the Z-Man ones because they survive tailor better than anything else I've tried.

On a regular jig head (not on worm hooks) I rig the plastic 'upside down', I think they swim a lot better this way - more movement on the retrieve, plus they are easier to align.

The one pictured has a smallish hook on it. A new thing for me. I did this last time I went out - lazy, couldn't be bothered digging a bigger hook from the bottom of my tackle bag - and the two fish I caught (55cm, 70cm) both absolutely slammed the lure on the take. No gentle tap, I didn't have to strike, both fish hit the lure and immediately ran hard. It made me wonder if maybe the less present hook made the plastic feel a little bit more inviting to chew. Speculative but, well, it is good to try new things, no?

PB190212.jpg

• 1 year later...

Breamslayer, 

Hard body - Leavey lures, croaker (jewie jewel) & ando lures. 

Soft plastics - squidgies 130mm paddle tail (drop bear), mad eyes, zman curl tail.

Jig heads - headlock 1/2oz - 1oz 7/0 or 8/0. Be aware 8/0 can stuff the action on some shorter plastics like the 130mm squidgy paddle tail. But fine on 8" plastics. Any big plastics 4" and above with decent action.

Recent Jew on Mad eyes below..

Good luck

Ultimate_HDR_Camera_20180109_105541.thumb.jpg.8b786396e547566e9d7597b087b4d20b.jpg

Edited by seekingsilver