Snowy Mountains trout trip

So day one on the river whet up to Kiandraxon good authority the bows were still up high and we were not disappointed. I ended getting nice fish and my got one about the same size we got quite a few smaller fish and spooked some big bows sitting in unusual places. A couple of pics off the phone and more to follow when we get back. More reports to follow with day 2 tomorrow

image.jpg

image.jpg

DAY 2 - Day started off on the Thredbo near the road bridge water was flowing well and cold! There's still some snow melt coming down. It looked superb the only issue no fish! After two hours we headed back to the car only to spot four fish holding at the rest area on the bridge. A hundred casts later and many refusals of the fly we left them be! Whatever they were feeding on we could not replicate. 

So off to No name creek. This stream is on a lot of private land so access is always an issue, luckily a good friend told me which farmer to see. It's got a lot of long slow weedy pools. Reports were it was holding fish and it did not disappoint. Fourth cast up against a weed bed in the willows and the dry dropper rig drops and fish on. Thinking this ain't a big fish! Until he woke up after a short five minute fight that felt forever I had a 6lb brown. Well that was not the Bly fish in the pool, problem was these fish don't get big for no reason and we spent a good two hours casting to another two fish actively feeding that would not take any offerings. They nosed dries and would not spook! That's the allure of big Browns and fly fishing. Lure fishing is easier! Anyway left them happily feeding and headed back to the digs. 

Mill add pics as soon as my mate gets them off his camera. So Monday is here amdcwecmay have a cheeky look in one of the Canberra streams! 

Cheers 

Edited by luderick -angler

Scratchie 

I do on the odd occasion if they are from a high population river such as the Mitta or Goulborn. I release fish in low population streams in hope they will spawn and add recruitment. I won't take fish at spawn time as the flesh is generally quite soft and mushy. Best eating trout are from a lake in late spring when they are nice and fat and in peak condition. 

46 minutes ago, luderick -angler said:

Scratchie 

I do on the odd occasion if they are from a high population river such as the Mitta or Goulborn. I release fish in low population streams in hope they will spawn and add recruitment. I won't take fish at spawn time as the flesh is generally quite soft and mushy. Best eating trout are from a lake in late spring when they are nice and fat and in peak condition. 

Cheers mate! 

The only trout I've ever eaten was from the farm at lithgow when I lived on the blue mtns. That has now closed. I tried fishing the coxs and TCD one time with fellow raider trout stalker, but that was a lot of walking and casting for no result!  Too much hard work for me. Sorry but I just don't get excited over a follow! But they are certainly beautiful fish and is on the must do list one day! 

Keep the posts coming! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Great photos Royce. I am full of admiration for the fly fishing angler who stalks the rivers in pursuit of the quarry and fully understand the thrill involved. I've never done it, but even learning to use a fly rod set up and catching good sized trout in an impoundment (Tasmania)...was a thrill which I'll never forget.

Have you ever seen an albino trout? When my Father in law and I went to Tassie we hired the services of a guide to teach us how to use the fly fishing gear. While my Father in law caught numerous 3 -5 lb fish, I targeted this white fish that I could see very clearly some 10 mtrs in. After numerous casts I finally got him. Beautiful colours, but not normal looking. Spent a further few hours catching dozens of good sized trout and that's the (first and) last time I have been fly fishing lol. 

Good luck with the rest of your trip mate. BN

• 2 weeks later...

Some top looking Trout there Royce, that 'bow (the larger one) still has its spawning colours on.  Very late for that!  I am not surprised you found the Thredbo tough, I hit the stretch from Paddys Corner down to the road bridge about 3 weeks ago and did not see a fish, which I found a bit odd?

Got back from NZ a week ago (Central Otago), quite a few of the 'bows I got were still in spawn mode there too?

Cheers

Windy

Matt, 

the he rainbows were up there well into October we got the last few stragglers just above the suicide hole! They definitely got well up this year and had a fantastic run which is good to see on the Euc! Must catch up for a fly fish mate! 

Edited by luderick -angler

Going to try and do a bit more Trout work over the next few months, both the Snowies and closer to home around the Blue Mountains.  I have heard some interesting rumours about Pejar too that I am keen to investigate.

As soon as I have a solid plan I will let you know, keen to catch up and chase some Trout.

Matt