Pejar Dam

adkel53

Flying from Wagga to Sydney yesterday we flew over Crookwell and I had a good view of Pejar Dam. Anyone fished it in recent years? I believe the big drought early this century decimated the trout population and am wondering if stocking since then has resulted in restoring it to a viable fishery.

Edited by adkel53
spelling

www.cowracommunitynews.com/viewnews.php?newsid=4809&id=3   Have a read of that article and also theres an entry in Fishraider from 2013 which may be of interest. I'll leave it to you to make the call on whether it's recovered. Cheers, Big Neil.

5 hours ago, big Neil said:

www.cowracommunitynews.com/viewnews.php?newsid=4809&id=3   Have a read of that article and also theres an entry in Fishraider from 2013 which may be of interest. I'll leave it to you to make the call on whether it's recovered. Cheers, Big Neil.

Thanks Big Neil. Any idea how old that article is? I looked on the DPI website and it seems that at least 35,000 brown and 60,000 rainbow fingerlings have been stocked into Pejar between 2005/06 and 2012/13. No data for the intervening three years. Also about 8,00 bass stocked from 2010/11. I would guess that many of those trout would now be of reasonable size so may have to head down there to find out! 

I've got a mate who lives local and has a couple goes there for very slim pickings.The fish are there but he reckons not worth the effort.You don't know till you give it a go though.Loved fishing there back in the day.

As mentioned you could only give it a go although there's probably a lot of places nearer to where you are. Maybe you could track down somebody who fishes there currently and seek their opinion. Don't think there's too many Fishraider members in that area. Good luck.

I live in goulburn which is very close to pejar. Its a tough fishery but over the years there have been some really large trout come out of it. Not for me personally unfortunately. 

It seems to fish well on first light and dusk for most people. The snakes are quite friendly out there as well and like to say hello often.

My best success out there has been on a pink tassie where i managed five fish in the afternoon.

I haven't heard of anyone catching a stocked bass out of there as yet but i did have a follow the other week when testing a few of my home made lures that looked to have the colouring of a bass.

I may head out there myself one afternoon soon if this wind ever stops 

G'day Neil, Just turning out a few small divers for myself at the moment mostly targeting bass, yella's and then a couple smaller ones for redfin and trout.

I fished burrinjuck sunday before last looking for a yella but only managed a small redfin on one of my lures and a couple of carp

I have personally caught a bass there and seen reports of them being caught on facebook, they are doing well and very fat. The trouting is hard, if you catch one its likely to be a couple of kilo's but not easy to catch,I've given up on the place.

Edited by cfish

6 hours ago, New Signing said:

G'day Neil, Just turning out a few small divers for myself at the moment mostly targeting bass, yella's and then a couple smaller ones for redfin and trout.

I fished burrinjuck sunday before last looking for a yella but only managed a small redfin on one of my lures and a couple of carp

Tell me more. What are they made from. Sinking or floating? I was supposed to be going to Burrinjuck this weekend but have had to pull out. Will be in Canberra for a family thing. Do you have any pics? Cheers, BN

14 hours ago, cfish said:

I have personally caught a bass there and seen reports of them being caught on facebook, they are doing well and very fat. The trouting is hard, if you catch one its likely to be a couple of kilo's but not easy to catch,I've given up on the place.

How long ago did you catch your bass mate?

On a lure or bait?

14 hours ago, big Neil said:

Tell me more. What are they made from. Sinking or floating? I was supposed to be going to Burrinjuck this weekend but have had to pull out. Will be in Canberra for a family thing. Do you have any pics? Cheers, BN

All my lures to date are floating. I started out using balsa but have found poplar to be a superior material. It carves really well, is readily available by going for a walk around town and is really strong as far as holding the hook hangers in.

My paint jobs are pretty poor and my bibs a bit rough but with these ones im really happy with the swimming action.

I've also included a pic of my first fish on one of my lures. This one was made of balsa. You'll not the rear hook is missing as it got caught in the carpet and pulled out. Personally i think it was more to do with a dodgy gluing job than the timber itself. Ive since repaired it and it seems fine 

image2 (Medium).jpeg

image3 (Medium).jpeg

image1 (Medium).jpeg

Redfin.JPG