I have learnt-

Fab1

Hi guys,i thought I would share some of the silly things I've done in my time to help others avoid doing the same.Some of these things have been,funny,costly,dangerous or just plain stupid so I'll kick off with a few of the top of my head.

-I have learnt that if you think your so clever that you wear Gumboots to launch and retrieve to avoid the tootsies getting wet to make sure when jumping out of the boat that the water depth isn't an inch above the top of your gumboots.

-I have learnt that if you leave your brand new rod resting over the side of your boat and driving full pelt with the canopy resting on the windscreen un restrained the wind will lift the canopy and fold it over landing on your (UnUsed) new rod turning it into a 2 piece rod very quickly.

-I have learnt that when looking over the side of the boat with the torch in the dark for 5min thinking "Gee that's a big fish near the berley"and thinking how does it manage to stay so still?The answer could be that you were looking at the reflection of the bait board all that time.lol.

I have learnt that if you make a hook out of a metal coat hanger for your fishing bucket handle to stop it flopping around in transit and your with another fisho showing him your flathead you just caught,When the mrs waddles over with that said bucket attached to her calf with that hook you made straight through her calf you better stop talking and help her.

I have learnt that when you feel a bite and your battling with a fish for 5min that's taking drag you better check that your fish wasn't a snag and you were drifting.

Non fishing related but a good one.

I have learnt that the only time you'll see your father get up and run so fast is when he's lying down beside the car that your welding some rust in the floor pan with and he realises that you've cut through all the underfloor fuel lines with the oxy and fuel is pouring out on fire.

Like I said guys I've done heaps of silly things in my time and would like to hear some of yours.

Cheers.

Very Funny Fabian,

We never stop learning.

I learned the other day to pay more attention to going between my standing and sitting driving positions in the boat.

I have a runabout style boat so when you stand up at the wheel your head is over the windscreen and in front of the bimini.

When you want to sit or take a look at any of the instruments you have to duck your head close to the screen and under the bimini.

Well, if you don't time that right and hit a wave you can smash your head on the windscreen with potentially devastating effects.

Did it last Friday,. I was lucky I only copped in on the chin ( copped on on the chin when my wife said I was a dope too!)

Cheers

Jim

Some great stuff there fab!

I have learnt, that to become the complete angler just take my 4 kids fishing! 

It will teach you- how to untangle (multiple times) rig, rerig, bait, unbait, snag, unsnag, catch fish, release fish. All without even having a line in the water yourself! If you can survive the day from frustration then you've earnt yourself a beer! :)

cheers scratchie!!! 

I've learnt switching your plotter on at 5am just on the water is not the time to realise that your brightness is up 100% 

I've learnt that when you take the kids or Mrs fishing you don't get to wet a line cos your sorting their tangles but they still go on that there caught more fish than you. 

I've learnt when buying fishing gear it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.  

Very funny fab I thought I had a monopoly on silly mistakes. 

I have learnt when you have a live squid out and drag set right towards the back of the boat whilst sitting in the bow rider section a rail mount rod holder isn't the best place to put it!    Although the new rod and reel is much better.

I learnt when skiing in winter skiing up to the beach at speed doesn't end well.

I have learnt when trolling by myself out side if the bung plugs aren't tight they can vibrate out and disappear. 

I have learnt it is very difficult to launch the boat with the strap across the back.

I have learnt it is best to check the boat starts before being launched into a river with fast running tide.

I have learnt you can't swim as fast as a boat being pushed along on a windy day. 

I have learnt it is best to have the boat trailer connected to the car when retrieving the boat.  (We use to use a rope on a ski boat trailer to put it deeper but somebody didn't connect it to the trailer).

Following on from the last one I have learnt holding onto a sinking trailer whilst dog paddling doesn't quite work. 

21 minutes ago, Welster said:

Very funny fab I thought I had a monopoly on silly mistakes. 

I have learnt when you have a live squid out and drag set right towards the back of the boat whilst sitting in the bow rider section a rail mount rod holder isn't the best place to put it!    Although the new rod and reel is much better.

I learnt when skiing in winter skiing up to the beach at speed doesn't end well.

I have learnt when trolling by myself out side if the bung plugs aren't tight they can vibrate out and disappear. 

I have learnt it is very difficult to launch the boat with the strap across the back.

I have learnt it is best to check the boat starts before being launched into a river with fast running tide.

I have learnt you can't swim as fast as a boat being pushed along on a windy day. 

I have learnt it is best to have the boat trailer connected to the car when retrieving the boat.  (We use to use a rope on a ski boat trailer to put it deeper but somebody didn't connect it to the trailer).

Following on from the last one I have learnt holding onto a sinking trailer whilst dog paddling doesn't quite work. 

I didnt even think half those things were even possible

haha

I've learnt not to leave your phone on the edge of the ledge next to your feet...

A few weeks later learnt to check the water depth before deciding to wade out in your jeans with replacement phone in pocket to retrieve a fish from a snag...

And now have learnt that sandwich bags are a great way to protect your phone when out on the water.

Cool thread!

Good topic Fabian.

I've learned that a rod can disappear in milliseconds when a decent fish pulls it into the water, while you're clutching at mid -air nothingness.

I've learned that tying an anchor with 1 proper knot, instead of dozens of non relevant loops, means you don't have to buy another anchor.

I've learned that top pockets where your phone and car keys are, need to be fastened when retrieving the boat.

I've learned that boat ramps are often more slippery than you think. 

I've learned that taking the grandkids fishing is good for the economy. It's also good for the grandkids, though not always for the grandparent. I've learned that a massive redgum tree can (apparently) jump 20 metres along the bank...when the grandkids are learning to cast.

I've learned that it's better to have 5 litres extra fuel than half a litre too little fuel...especially when you're downstream of the boat ramp.

I've learned that it's best to tie the boat to the pontoon before finding oneself with one short leg on the pontoon and one on the boat, especially in Winter.

I've also learned that wisdom doesn't always come with age and nobody is perfect, though some may think they are.

I've also learned that fishing is a great pastime and there's always something to be learned, no matter what you target. 

Cheers, BN

Very funny guys,keep em coming.

A few more from me.

I have learnt-When your 6'2 in the excitement of jumping out of the car when at the ramp to make sure your all the way clear of the roof when standing up.Ending up the height of ET isn't a good look.

I have learnt-That pulling a heavy fibreglass boat through a foot of water with your Mil,wife and child in it asking bank fisherman to wind their lines in because you didn't check the tides is very embarrassing.Its fantastic for upper body strength though.

I have learnt-That after the one above you still need to get the boat on the trailer,the difficult part is the ramp is now around 30m away from the edge of the water with sand between the two because you didn't check the tides.

The solution?Get the wagon backed down as close to the edge of the water hoping you don't get bogged,winch the boat up the sand onto the trailer dry(Fantastic forearm workout)and once  on the trailer tell the Mil and mrs to push from the rear incase you spin.

When you give the signal to push take off a million miles an hour and look at the side view mirrors wondering what both the ladies in my life are in the prone position(are we being attacked)

a few moments later they both lift their faces up looking like mrs Doubtfire in that pie scene with sand all over their faces.Lol.

I have learnt-Due to the above "slight miscalculations" I always check the tides now.

I have learnt-That when snagged in shallow water and yanking back with all your might it helps to stand slightly to the side as lead is a very soft material but there's plenty of other materials which are very fragile and soft,not sure why but soft,fragile male testicles come to mind.What makes this one achieve top ten status is I was doing the yanking and the testicles belonged to my son.Again i never seen anyone hit the prone position like him.

I have learnt-That with all the silly things I've done in my time I remain relatively unscathed and judging by the replies I'm not the only silly bugger out there.

Cheers.

I have learned not to take specific mates fishing who 'um and arrr' about early starts, always give you the old 'i dont know what im doing yet' (I hate this answer, its instant disprespect because you are making an offer giving them something to do. Either yes or no), free loaders and never chip in for fuel, never help wash the boat and they all bring their own tackle boxes and peice of sh#$ rods and it just gets in the way.

My advice, find that one fishing buddy with his own boat and take him because he knows the pain and suffering and fish with him. 

Or dont own a boat and become a moocher :lol:

1 hour ago, JA1990 said:

I have learned not to take specific mates fishing who 'um and arrr' about early starts, always give you the old 'i dont know what im doing yet' (I hate this answer, its instant disprespect because you are making an offer giving them something to do. Either yes or no), free loaders and never chip in for fuel, never help wash the boat and they all bring their own tackle boxes and peice of sh#$ rods and it just gets in the way.

My advice, find that one fishing buddy with his own boat and take him because he knows the pain and suffering and fish with him. 

Or dont own a boat and become a moocher :lol:

+1 I got 1 mate like that... and by god you can rely on him to show up at my house at least 30 minutes late, every time, without fail, and be completely unprepared.... then they expect you to be a fishing charter and literally hand them the kings on a silver platter lol 

If your not 30 minutes late your early.........

You get kings? my 'clients' would be lucky to get a red rock lobster haha But i know what you mean, high expectations, they then dont give you the credit.

I hate the ones who say 'im sick' half an hour before you go to pick them up. When you ring them or text back they dont answer. 11/10 times this happens lol Moochers.

But its ok for them to put on facebook at 11am that they are playing xbox 360 and drinking woodstock

Edited by JA1990

29 minutes ago, JA1990 said:

If your not 30 minutes late your early.........

You get kings? my 'clients' would be lucky to get a red rock lobster haha But i know what you mean, high expectations, they then dont give you the credit.

I hate the ones who say 'im sick' half an hour before you go to pick them up. When you ring them or text back they dont answer. 11/10 times this happens lol Moochers.

But its ok for them to put on facebook at 11am that they are playing xbox 360 and drinking woodstock

People like that don't deserve to have "good mates". Being a good mate means being considerate and grateful. Just saying, BN

2 minutes ago, JA1990 said:

I am a little confused, Are you saying I should be considerate and grateful or my 'mates' should be lol

As BN said mates like that aren't worth having.Im afraid they'll take you for a sucker every time.I would of given them the boot after the first time they treated me like that.

Haha yeh I hear ya. I have a lot of 'mates' but sometimes its the fact of having a 'mate' onboard. I hate going outside by my self and if I cant get anyone genuine keen I am left to take out my 'mates'.

I mean no one likes going off shore by them selves.

5 minutes ago, JA1990 said:

I am a little confused, Are you saying I should be considerate and grateful or my 'mates' should be lol

No mate, not being critical of you. I am being critical of people who lack common decency and respect for their "mates", who are going the extra mile for them. Cheers JA

I've learnt that by heading out when the first of the early risers are coming back finding parking is way easier. Also the boat and air temp is much more suitable, especially when fishing with the kids.

By the time I get out around Montague all the boat traffic and sonar pulses have pretty much scattered the fish far and wide but once the boats all leave its not long before the kings start to come back on the chew. My afternoon evening sessions have been far better than any early morning fishing trips I've ever done.

When it comes to taking anyone out in my boat making it clear to them I'm more than happy to run them back home if they feel sick seems to help in them not getting sea sick. The time out on the water is about having fun, if you can keep the crew happy either catching fish or watching a bit of wildlife then the chances of them getting sick is quite slim.

Jon

I've learned, that is is not safe for my son to be fishing on the transom of the boat, while anchored, while his sister is in the boat. A "push" later from little sister, and I've to buy a replacement gas tank and pressure gauge for the self inflating life vest.

I've learned it's better to have no life bait, then the last bag from the freezer at the servo.

I've learned that it's a bad idea to time the return home to arrive just 10 minutes before I've to go out to a dinner. Because there will be a massive queue at the ramp, and plenty of people who have no idea about putting the boat in the water or how to take it out.

I've learned not to attend to people waiving from their 20+ feet cruiser, because they expect you to tow them back to the ramp.

I've learned that if my son and I have a double hook up, it's probably just out lines that tangled.