I have learnt-

Fab1

Excellent topic.

Here are some of my land-based observations:

- I have learnt that largest  challenges to rod and reel while bread-and-butter fishing are coming from the environment and yourself (e.g rocks, sand, saltwater, night, improper storage and maintenance, car doors and boot, lack of attention, tired eyes and frozen hands) rather than the fish.

- I have learnt that the fish will try to hook you on a lure if you try remove the lure with bare hands.

- I have learnt that big wave usually hits you or tries to 'steal' your tackle bag when you turn your back to the sea

- I have learnt that the large fish usually bites on a locked reel drag.

- I have learnt that non-inflatable PFD is very warm in winter and night.

- I have learnt that the reel parts usually fell only into deep water if not attached properly.

- I have learnt that keeping the 2 hooks in the mouth while re-rigging  and  the wave hits you in the ear - will give excellent chances to win a Darwin Award.

- I have learnt that fish does not care whether your whole rig is $15 or $600 at night as long as you bring the fresh bait. Though it may impact your chances to land it.

I have learnt not to tow surface lures across the mouth of Botany Bay. Apologies to the boatie who ran over them and fouled his or her motor with my Braid. At least he or she for two Halco lures as recompense.

I have learnt not to jump on the boat when launching without the boat keys. I have also learnt not to hurriedly try to cast a SP to the better half to get said keys only to hang up the SP in a Moreton Bay Fig.

I have learnt that boats float better if you put bungs in before you launch.

Edited by brad_tate

• 1 month later...