Quintrex 650 or 690 Trident anyone owned one? Had problems!?

Nick Fish

Hi everyone, 

This is my first forum post ever so I am new to this, my names Nick and I split my fishing between Sydney and Jervis Bay, love it! Having some major issues with my boat though and just want to reach out and see if I am the only one or not, I brought a Quintrex 690 Trident in 2014 and have had nothing but trouble since day one, paint bubbling on the top of boat, water coming in through scuppers, the bottom of hull filling up with water, warped on the side of the boat, and it is shorter than it should be by 22cm! Anybody owned one? Had similar problems? I want to compare my boat to someone else to get an indication of any difference or chat to someone who might be having the same problems, not having much luck with Quintrex

Cheers,
Nick

IMG_2970.jpg

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the site. Mighty fine waterway that Jervis Bay... haven't boat fished there but I spun a few flatties out of the creek before they closed it and I have had some exciting days chasing Tuna and Marlin of the Tubes.

I have a  2014  Quintrex 570 Laze about and some of these issues you describe have also impacted my boat.

Paint bubbling is a characteristic  of these boats and Quintrex don't warrant it. They say the bubbling is due to small imperfections in the alloy which may of may not be correct but they did fix a few spots for me as a gesture of good will and while there are now plenty of other spots certainly the parts they fixed have not resurfaced. Does that mean the imperfections have all "reacted out" or their  "fix" removed them. Who knows but I am tending to think bad prep may be the issue.

My boat leaks through the scuppers at rest when there are a few people standing at the back of the boat. The ball valve seems not to be very effective and mine has a 150HP on the back which adds some weight.  Not sure what the solution is there.

Mine also gets water in he hull which I only noticed happening when the auto bilge pump stopped working automatically.

It is now my belief that the water coming in the boat was from the scuppers and from the entry point for the steering and wring through the transom .  This was happening mostly when you reversed the boat aggressively perhaps to get back on a mark or when you came abruptly off speed and the wake caught the boat up and flooded into the transom. Do this a couple of dozen times during the day and you'll have a few hundred liters in your boat of the bilge pump isn't turning on automatically.

Looks to me like there are typical late model Quintrex issues.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

This is why I ordered my new quintrex unpainted. Alot of people say that painted holds resale value but I beg to differ becasue when the paint bubbles people assume the worst and try knock you down in price without under standing that paint is subject to fair wear and tare.

3 hours ago, New Signing said:

Christ Nick id be losing my shit if i was you. Ive read far too many of these types of stories about quintrex in the last couple of years :unsure:

2 hours ago, JA1990 said:

This is why I ordered my new quintrex unpainted. Alot of people say that painted holds resale value but I beg to differ becasue when the paint bubbles people assume the worst and try knock you down in price without under standing that paint is subject to fair wear and tare.

All valid points boys.

Its a pity because the reputation Quintrex had for quality builds has been damaged more than once in recent years.

Fortunately there have been no structural issues with the boat and I have gone to the trouble of stripping out the floor and inspecting all the welds every 12 months . All good in that department but there are many little niggling issues which annoy me.

An that's why, apart from the unsuitability for offshore work (not the fault of the boat) I am going to buy a different brand next time.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Well in the grand scheme of things, Quintrex has been focusing on Small alluminium tinnys and runabouts for the last 70 years, they really only have opened the door on the larger 6+ full cab series. Bigger boat required further engineering and expertise which Quintrex is only waking up to see. 

I am not saying that the bigger boats are crap, I wish I had one. Just saying that they have perfected the smaller boats and still are learning with the bigger ones.

Edited by JA1990

Just now, JA1990 said:

Well in the grand scheme of things, Quintrex has been focusing on Small alluminium tinnys and runabouts for the last 70 years, they really only have opened the door on the larger 6+ full cab series. Bigger boat required further engineering and expertise which Quintrex does not have yet. 

I am not saying that the bigger boats are crap, I wish I had one. Just saying that they have perfected the smaller boats and still are learning with the bigger ones.

I think to be generous ( and perhaps I shouldn't be) , many of the little issues are around running gear and certain new model aspects. My 570 Lazeabout was a new model when I bought it - I hoped they learned from the experience.

Hi all, thanks for your reply's! It is unfortunate that so many of us seem to be having issues with Quintrex, I remember when buying my Quintrex it was a choice between their boat and other branded boats sold here but made in China for much cheaper, I went with Quintrex thinking that buying from the Australian made and well known company would provide a much better boat and service if anything went wrong, how wrong was I! I have spoken with Quintrex about my boat and its shortcomings, according to them these offshore boats are designed to be able take on some water with no issue, I have approximately an inch of water with only three people on there, heaps of videos on this, I would have thought no water would come in for a boat designed to hold 8 people fishing! Further to the shortcomings, I urge all Quintrex owners to test their boat measurements as Quintrex gives two measurement sizes, hull length and overall length, my boat being 22cm shorter on the hull length, what a joke! They justified this by extending the bowsprit to make it out as if the length is right. I am quite disappointed with Quintrex, wish I never bought one

If someone else has bought a Quintrex 650 or 690 in 2014 I am very keen to compare my one to yours and see if I have a case to take to them

On 07/11/2016 at 0:59 PM, fragmeister said:

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the site. Mighty fine waterway that Jervis Bay... haven't boat fished there but I spun a few flatties out of the creek before they closed it and I have had some exciting days chasing Tuna and Marlin of the Tubes.

Hi Jim, thanks for your reply, you are not wrong about Jervis bay it is great fishing there! Hope to see you out on the water one day mate ;)

• 2 years later...
On 11/7/2016 at 12:59 PM, fragmeister said:

Hi Nick,

I have a  2014  Quintrex 570 Laze about and some of these issues you describe have also impacted my boat.

Paint bubbling is a characteristic  of these boats and Quintrex don't warrant it. They say the bubbling is due to small imperfections in the alloy which may of may not be correct but they did fix a few spots for me as a gesture of good will and while there are now plenty of other spots certainly the parts they fixed have not resurfaced. Does that mean the imperfections have all "reacted out" or their  "fix" removed them. Who knows but I am tending to think bad prep may be the issue.

My boat leaks through the scuppers at rest when there are a few people standing at the back of the boat. The ball valve seems not to be very effective and mine has a 150HP on the back which adds some weight.  Not sure what the solution is there.

Mine also gets water in he hull which I only noticed happening when the auto bilge pump stopped working automatically.

It is now my belief that the water coming in the boat was from the scuppers and from the entry point for the steering and wring through the transom .  This was happening mostly when you reversed the boat aggressively perhaps to get back on a mark or when you came abruptly off speed and the wake caught the boat up and flooded into the transom. Do this a couple of dozen times during the day and you'll have a few hundred liters in your boat of the bilge pump isn't turning on automatically.

Looks to me like there are typical late model Quintrex issues.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Jim

wow , Old post, found it looking for answers myself , thanks for the tip off Jim, I will replace my harness tube and get the hydraulic steer to come out from the top area or seal it with a rubber sleeve or something like that.

This is a one year old Trident that I have and was wondering why the under floor was getting water inside it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Basil D said:

wow , Old post, found it looking for answers myself , thanks for the tip off Jim, I will replace my harness tube and get the hydraulic steer to come out from the top area or seal it with a rubber sleeve or something like that.

This is a one year old Trident that I have and was wondering why the under floor was getting water inside it.

RE the ball valve.....they need regular cleaning out. A loose leaf or dropped sinker can roll back and keep the ball valve in the open position. I used to get water coming into the boat but clean mine out every month and haven't had water come in since

• Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 8:01 PM, GoingFishing said:

RE the ball valve.....they need regular cleaning out. A loose leaf or dropped sinker can roll back and keep the ball valve in the open position. I used to get water coming into the boat but clean mine out every month and haven't had water come in since

how do you clean them please

16 hours ago, Basil D said:

how do you clean them please

If your one is designed anything like mine. It will take 2 minutes.

Remove four screws and remove cover, the ball will fall out. Remove the leaves, debris and sinkers. Replace ball and reinstall cover.i

Screenshot_20190525-154653_Gallery.jpg

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 1

sounds like fun......

For you blokes with scuppers, wouldnt you be better off just permanently sealing those bloody things if you need to clean em every month? 

If you are more likely to get water in through them leading to a dangerous situation then i would be sealing them, you can always empty your boat out through the bungs when stray water comes in, its not like the deck is sealed or anything anyways...

2 hours ago, SquidMarks said:

sounds like fun......

For you blokes with scuppers, wouldnt you be better off just permanently sealing those bloody things if you need to clean em every month? 

If you are more likely to get water in through them leading to a dangerous situation then i would be sealing them, you can always empty your boat out through the bungs when stray water comes in, its not like the deck is sealed or anything anyways...

Both the trident and yellowfin boats have a sealed and stitched deck. The water coming in is more a nuisance than a hazard, but yes it would be possible to seal them.

They do come in quite handy when washing the boat down

Fair enough, thought the deck was not sealed because i have seen the scuppers on the stacer boats with unsealed decks.

Maybe a weak ss spring to hold the ball in place (stops allowing the leaves etc to jam up. That or creating a semi permanent seal (like bungs). seems like they are not of much use on the water and would just be used in washing down.

11 hours ago, SquidMarks said:

Fair enough, thought the deck was not sealed because i have seen the scuppers on the stacer boats with unsealed decks.

Maybe a weak ss spring to hold the ball in place (stops allowing the leaves etc to jam up. That or creating a semi permanent seal (like bungs). seems like they are not of much use on the water and would just be used in washing down.

Scuppers are useful as hell on boats that have sealed floors especially when game fishing etc.  Reversing down on fish you can easily get water over the back of the boat and a quick run in forward drains the deck, no need for bilge pumps or anything like that, can be a pain in the butt if they leak but when they work they are great, if i had sealed floor i would 100% run them 

Edited by rozza_b

I get their usefulness, i think they are the bees knees when they work (especially in game fishing when you need to reverse on fish). The problem is, you just dont see that on a 5m ally boat (stacer 5 m boats have scuppers with unsealed decks) .  

THE FOLLOWING is what i have a problem with.. the thought of a days fishing in winter with my feet permanently submerged in an inch of water all day. Does not sound like a fun day to me.

On 11/9/2016 at 10:07 AM, Nick Fish said:

I have approximately an inch of water with only three people on there, heaps of videos on this, I would have thought no water would come in for a boat designed to hold 8 people fishing!

Much of a muchness to me I wear boots and wet weather bib all winter so wouldn't bother me on that front, having an inch of water on the deck would still be pretty crappy though and I would be trying to sort that asap 

In regard to them on boats without sealed floors would definitely get rid of them, cannot for the life of me see the point of them in a boat without sealed floors. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 7:40 PM, SquidMarks said:

I get their usefulness, i think they are the bees knees when they work (especially in game fishing when you need to reverse on fish). The problem is, you just dont see that on a 5m ally boat (stacer 5 m boats have scuppers with unsealed decks) .  

THE FOLLOWING is what i have a problem with.. the thought of a days fishing in winter with my feet permanently submerged in an inch of water all day. Does not sound like a fun day to me.

Well my advice is to keep them clean and clear from debri, they should function as intended. no need for problems or worry.

PS- it helps to stick your hand underneath sometimes and roll the ball to keep it free

As a thought  if your scuppers are under water at rest and taking in water you may need to put more weight forward to balance out your boat at rest  to counter a couple of bodies standing at the back    i have my large esky and everything else forward once anchored so i dont cop as much slop coming into the outboard well  same approach for scuppers should help

19 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

As a thought  if your scuppers are under water at rest and taking in water you may need to put more weight forward to balance out your boat at rest  to counter a couple of bodies standing at the back    i have my large esky and everything else forward once anchored so i dont cop as much slop coming into the outboard well  same approach for scuppers should help

I can't comment on all boat makes, but for the Telwater boats the scupper is designed such that when the ball valve is under water, it floats up and blocks the opening thus preventing water entry. To that extent whether the scupper is 15cm under water or 40cm under water it makes no difference.

That's why leaves and debri should be cleared out because  they prohibit the ball valve from sealing the opening.

Edited by GoingFishing