Tinny Size Recomendations

spearo_fisho

hello all, this is my first post on this site, and i love all the posts on boats and it is helping me to decide on what type of boat is suitable for me, so i thank you all for this forum....double thumbs up!

i have been pondering it seems forever on the suitable boat for me to get me out fishing and spearfishing(sorry to all who dislike this form of capturing fish). the hardest thing for me to decide is how long should the boat be? i was thinking a tinny from 3.8m to 4.2m(second hand), because i am on a tight budget as i am only 17 working in a local supermarket and doing two paper runs dont quite rack in enough green for a huge offshore set up. i will be taking the boat mainly in open waters, anything from 1nm offshore and maybe on its limits 5nm(i wouldnt try 5nm in a 3.8, but in a 4.2 maybe??). also this boat would most likely to be tiller steer. any help would be greatly appreciated

once again thanks for the forum :thumbup:

regards,

Nathan

gday,buying a boat is a hard decision with so many options out there,try checking out ur local boatyards ,2 give u an idea of what u want,when u find 1,`if private sale make sure u take it somewhere 2 get motor checked out dont take someones word that the motor is a1 mechanically,i think the most important thing in buying a boat is 2 b patient ,dont jump on the first 1 that catches ur eye look around ,and make sure u get it checked out cheers

:1welcomeani: Spearo-fisho

I assume you will choose your days to go off shore.

If its second hand your after then is going to be bang for you buck giveing consideration to:

Motoer size, hours age and brand

Accessories that come with the boat, right down to anchor, life jackets sounder etc

Boat is about its condition more so than age, free board.

Write your self a check list and add to it as you view boats. this will help in your decision making

I was in the same boat about a year ago (looking for a 4.5m tinnie). There are so many options, windscreens, centre consoles, tiller steer, all the options, condition of boat/motor trailer etc.

My best advise is look at the engine first - you can pick tinny hulls up pretty cheap ($1000 to $2000) motors can ranges from $300 to $5000 for say a 40hp depending on age. I would prioritise the motor especially if your going offshore, you won't want to go out far if you haven't got confidence in your motor.

I wasn't confident and cost me $5000 for a new 40hp!

Ebay is good to look at to suss things out and I recommend looking for 3 months before starting to pull your wallet out if you want value/quality. Martin is spot on, get a check list of all your needs and wants. This will make the decision more of a science rather than an emotional buy which could cost you big $$'s in the long run!!

hi, thanks for all the replies. so quick as weLL! :biggrin2:

I have been looking through classifieds, trading posts and i ventured to a boatyard while on holidays in the tweed.I am also on the net most nights looking through boatpoint, forums, boatingoz, ebay and the tradingpost site(any other suggestions for sites?).i have been doing this almost a month and will be doing it until i get the funds for a decent set up.

thanks again for the information, it helps out tremendously and it is appreciated greatly.

does anyone think a 3.8metre tinny with a 15hp on the right day would be safe enough 5nm offshore?

regards,

Nathan

Spearo dude thats just not on about the3.8 .

Not to say that it has not been done before.

What you should be looking for as I spearfish as well and have a idea

on what your after.

Is second hand 4.3-4.5 old alloy boat (barehull if possible)

Gut the inside asap get a alloy floor welded to create a self draining deck.

Buy your self a used 60 yamaha enduro tiller or any other brand(not many Tohatsu second

hand) A good second hand trailer to tow safely.

The rest of the fitout can be done in time and money allowing.

This set up shouldnd cost over$ 4000-5000 and it would last and be strong.

Plus quite quick for comps.

My opionion thats all :1prop:

Hazza

yeh i thought it would be pushing the 3.8 metres limits to the max and would be un safe, but second opinions are great, just in case that kinda stuff is done.

that is the kind of set up i thought cost around $10000 :ranting2: it is my dream set up, durable, a decent amount of speed and it would get me out to the true spearing grounds safely.

i was thinking of buying things separately like that but with a second hand 4.2 metre hull, second hand trailer and a new or newish 30hp tiller steer motor, because reliability is one of the key factors i would like in my boat.

how much do you think i could get this kind of set up for?

Spearo

The big difference between a 3.8m boat and a 4.2 is the freeboard. Theres generally a big jump up in the depth and width when you go to that 4.1/4.2m size. I have a 4.1 Brooker with a 30 on the back. I take my boat out a few miles and up and down the coast a bit from Broken Bay - but pick my days (poked out past box head on sunday and high tailed it back in real quick). I know a guy that takes a 3.85 quinnie explorer outside - and a long way outside too :1yikes: I certainly wouldnt!

If you are not after flat floors and gunnels, the standard brooker 4.1 for about $7k with a 25hp on the back brand new.

Personally though I would go a little bigger - 4.5m - and second hand you will be able to pick one up for 5 or 6K.

Go with a good motor, the tinnie should be OK, but the reliability is the motor.

Adrian

Two old divers do long reef each weekend in a 4.5m quintrex lazeabout - they go for 5-7k depending on the motor. They seem to have no trouble climbing in and out, over the transom. anything smaller (I had the 4 metre quintrex breezeabout) I would worry about transom freeboard and its offshore ability in close around the wash from the rocks.

Look for Quintrex, savage or stacers in that size range.

Edited by martinc

I agree with Jewel. I used to fish the inshore reefs at Evans Head in a mates 4.3m Quintrex fishrunner. It was a top platform and not too expensive. His was a centre console and had a 40hp on the back. It was great. You could fish the rivers and the close reefs with ease.

btw - a 3.8m would limit your fishing trips big time. Only the calmest weather would be safe...

Good luck

Wayne